What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

Probably thin air.

At Starks Park, with our average gate, you could easily position people to sit with three or four seats empty to either side of you and never come into contact with anyone. Why we would need to ‘cancel’ is ludicrous.

It’s to free up Emergency Services to have adequate capacity to deal with the outbreak....

45 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Surely if they’re going to cancel the league it needs to be from when everyone had played everyone an equal amount of times? ie after 27 games?

That wouldn't be fair on Clyde, surely they would have to give us the 3 guaranteed points from the remaining Falkirk game.

40 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Probably thin air.

At Starks Park, with our average gate, you could easily position people to sit with three or four seats empty to either side of you and never come into contact with anyone. Why we would need to ‘cancel’ is ludicrous.

The figure of 500 was one quoted by Sturgeon this morning in the Scottish Parliament.

Sensible precaution unless the COVID-19 British strain is different which seems to be the suggestion from the loony fringe. It's not a heavy cold

This is going to wreak havoc for all divisions in the country, you would think. 

The top three in our league have never registered a home gate of less than 500 all season long (league games). Montrose, in 4th, are usually above it as well, with a few in the late 400s, meaning that the stewards and staff take it above 500 anyway. East Fife in fourth are similar, with only 4 gates below 500.

Cove Rangers have been above 500 all season long, too, and Elgin City are usually getting just above 500. So going to be a bit of a quagmire to sort out. It is looking more likely that they will either just prevent any fans or suspend the games for an indeterminate period. 

Only allow home season ticket holders entry.

If that number is above 500, then ballot.

Otherwise, void the season and distribute all prize monies evenly amongst all the clubs

This includes £3.35M that would've went to the Premier Champions and the £2.4M runner up amount.

This should ensure survival for all Scottish clubs.

After all, the Old Firm did say, re. the Colts, we need to look at what's best for Scottish football.

I don’t see games being played being played behind closed as being a likely outcome for very long .. if at all. Much more likely, in my opinion, is the season will end after the games this weekend. No promotion or relegation but the team at the top of each league will be deemed “champions”.

8 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

I don’t see games being played being played behind closed as being a likely outcome for very long .. if at all. Much more likely, in my opinion, is the season will end after the games this weekend. No promotion or relegation but the team at the top of each league will be deemed “champions”.

Aye, United, Falkirk and Cove will just take that on the chin.

26 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Only allow home season ticket holders entry.

If that number is above 500, then ballot.

Otherwise, void the season and distribute all prize monies evenly amongst all the clubs

This includes £3.35M that would've went to the Premier Champions and the £2.4M runner up amount.

This should ensure survival for all Scottish clubs.

After all, the Old Firm did say, re. the Colts, we need to look at what's best for Scottish football.

This could be a very sensible suggestion. Will never happen, obviously, but sensible just the same.

It’s to free up Emergency Services to have adequate capacity to deal with the outbreak....
The emergency services don't have adequate capacity to deal with everything that happens when there isn't an outbreak. It's just papering over the cracks.

Aye, United, Falkirk and Cove will just take that on the chin.

Not much they can do about it that’s what the SPFL decide to do. I’m not saying it’s fair but it’s probably the cleanest way of managing the situation. Yes, it will mean bad news for some clubs and good news for others .. eg. Hearts, Partick and Brechin. What’s the alternative? If a player contracts it the whole squad will be quarantined for at least 2 weeks. Extending the season won’t work ... as many lower league clubs players will be out of contract. I’m struggling to see a workable alternative to simply voiding the season.

I don’t see a way this season finishes, at least in the conventional sense.

If you assume players and staff aren’t human it could end behind closed doors but what do we do if we try to carry on and say Falkirk get a player confirmed as having coronavirus? The entire squad probably has to isolate and they can’t play for a couple of weeks. And then when they’re back, they’re due to play Clyde say who’ve just had a player test positive.. suddenly we’re four weeks down the line and there’s a big mismatch in games played with no real idea of when clubs can catch up.

Possibly a short-lived, convoluted, behind closed doors play-off shootout? With some sort of seeding that works heavily in favour of the teams that are top/against those at the bottom?

Who the f**k knows. Glad I don’t have to come up with the solution because whatever it is, it’s not going to be popular.

Play the games behind closed doors playing two games per week. Tue/Wed and Sat/Sun with clubs able to stream them if they have the ability.

Either that or postpone all games until April with the season extending into May/June.

47 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

There is no way they'd award anything with an incomplete season, there would be a huge outcry from many clubs.

If it's not gonna be 500 fans or closed doors, they will extend the season as they can't award anything after 3/4 quarter season.

I can see closed doors working in top flight league's as it is in the European competitions.