What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

On 08/03/2020 at 20:48, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

At least nobody would be there to watch us turn you over for a fourth time this season.

Man's trying to have a crowd w**k in peace (and correctly so in the context of the thread topic) and you charge in with this mean-spirited and frankly irrelevant results w**k?

Tsk, imo

Do season tickets come with a coronavirus cure?

It’s all going to be ok.
Now the virus does not last long outside, and we’ve installed additional hand sanitisers for a respiratory passed infection....
ps. I note now that Barcelona’s CL game is now to be played behind closed doors...

13 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Is it just me that thinks that it’s a disgrace that the government is not taking any action just now?

If you are going to take action, do it now before the numbers increase. Waiting another 2-3 weeks will be too late, and we will end up with a worse situation than Italy due to poor governance and procrastination...

What exactly do you expect Holyrood to do at this point?

They are following medical advice and besides if you impose curfew or quarantine then no doubt some SJW will be straight to the Court of Session to say their human rights have been trampled over by Big Bad Nicola.

This is a no win situation for the government.

What exactly do you expect Holyrood to do at this point?
They are following medical advice and besides if you impose curfew or quarantine then no doubt some SJW will be straight to the Court of Session to say their human rights have been trampled over by Big Bad Nicola.
This is a no win situation for the government.

I’m not entirely sure that all actions here are reserved to Holyrood but I am concerned that the advice at the moment is being manipulated by Westminster to protect the economy in the face of stark evidence of the impact of a lack of adequate action in other counties.
The only country that appears to not have given a damn about economic impact is China where we have seen some signs of success.
Everywhere else is acting too late and the virus is not under any real control.....

Would like to see all teams do what EFTV has done and introduce subscription for live games, should they move to playing behind closed doors. The restriction on UK fans watching live should be lifted for the duration of the Covid19 crisis.

This would at least bring in some revenue for the clubs, who will take a hit financially.

I suppose the alternative to closed door games is simply to postpone them but for how long?

That option could be more disruptive and unworkable, should the situation continue beyond a few weeks.

It would be good if the SPFL could help clubs deal with the financial repercussions of this through allowing live streaming of games on pay per view basis.

6 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I’m not entirely sure that all actions here are reserved to Holyrood but I am concerned that the advice at the moment is being manipulated by Westminster to protect the economy in the face of stark evidence of the impact of a lack of adequate action in other counties.
The only country that appears to not have given a damn about economic impact is China where we have seen some signs of success.
Everywhere else is acting too late and the virus is not under any real control.....

Actually a few countries are taking more drastic measures in this part of the world (SE Asia).

I think what I find difficult to accept is the cost-benefit analysis. Obviously a sporting event like the Cheltenham Festival involves millions of pounds for those involved.

I heard around a quarter of a million people will visit the event in the course of the week.

Surely, that is stirring the pot as far as spreading Covid19 is concerned but weighed against the economic cost of cancelling or even postponing it, the politicians feel this is a price worth paying.

It would seem it boils down to accepting the inevitably of Covid19 spreading and not wanting to hurt the pockets of the government's supporters.

Surely however, as I see it, if you take steps to quarantine people until they are no longer infectious, then you must check the spread of the virus.

Limiting large social gatherings may not have a huge impact on the rate of spread but if this virus was particularly lethal to children, rather than the elderly, I am sure there would be more questions asked about allowing large scale events to go ahead.

Yesterday on Radio Scotland, a Scottish health chief made some comment about wanting to attend a Stereophonics concert and talked about government policy "following the science".

If his 79 year old mother, he referred to in the interview, succumbs to the virus, his words and the foolhardiness of meekly following Westminster's lead in this, are going to come back to haunt him. 

I too have elderly parents and if it turns out the politicians have mishandled the science for the sake of economic stability, or if the science is just bad science, which allows for certain people being expendable in the grand scheme of things, then I will struggle to forgive those responsible.

Our elected representatives should be given the message that all human lives matter more than the "bread and circuses" of money and sport.

If they stuff up, then they need to know there will be serious consequences for lives, needlessly lost.

5 hours ago, Brummo said:

Would like to see all teams do what EFTV has done and introduce subscription for live games, should they move to playing behind closed doors. The restriction on UK fans watching live should be lifted for the duration of the Covid19 crisis.

This would at least bring in some revenue for the clubs, who will take a hit financially.

I suppose the alternative to closed door games is simply to postpone them but for how long?

That option could be more disruptive and unworkable, should the situation continue beyond a few weeks.

It would be good if the SPFL could help clubs deal with the financial repercussions of this through allowing live streaming of games on pay per view basis.

It's not possible for every team to do that. You need people to film the games and the facilities to stream, as well as proper filming equipment. The SPFL would need to provide all that to any club who can't source it themselves, which isn't gonna happen.

On the whole, the Chinese were (and are) willing to take actions we (the West) are not. As a collectivist society, with a more communally oriented mindset, the public in China accepted those sorts of actions that are unthinkable here. It’s not practical to take those steps in the West, even if necessary, without massive numbers of deaths first to drive home the necessity to abandon individual . Even then, with the prevalence of the gig economy and the destruction of the social safety nets, there is a huge population that can’t afford to take a few days off work.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's not possible for every team to do that. You need people to film the games and the facilities to stream, as well as proper filming equipment. The SPFL would need to provide all that to any club who can't source it themselves, which isn't gonna happen.

If East Fife can do it, why can't others? I don't know the precise technical and financial challenges of doing this but in the past there hasn't been much incentive to do it. As they say: "necessity is the mother of invention". 

Maybe someone connected with EFTV could comment on this.

I am really looking forward to watching East Fife v. Montrose live from New Bayview this weekend and have no qualms about paying for the privilege. I only wish I could watch the Mo every Saturday.

Edited by Brummo
ing

Just now, Brummo said:

If East Fife can do it, why can't others? I don't know the precise technical and financial challenges of doing this but in the past there hasn't been much incentive to do it. As they say: "necessity is the mother of invention". 

Maybe someone connected with EFTV could comment on this.

I am really looking forward to watch East Fife v. Montrose live from New Bayview this weekend and have no qualms about paying for the privilege. I only wish I could watch the Mo every Saturday.

EFTV guys will need to comment properly, but it seems to me they have an excellent media team offering up their services and time to the club for nothing. You need the filming equipment but you also need someone with the knowledge of what they're doing. I imagine other clubs can't do it because they either don't have the money for equipment or they don't have the volunteers coming forward to actually run it properly.

I agree it would be amazing if every club could offer the service that EF, Raith and Falkirk do in this league but the fact that only 3 clubs can offer it, and two of them are full time, I think tells you it's not that easy to do.

42 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

EFTV guys will need to comment properly, but it seems to me they have an excellent media team offering up their services and time to the club for nothing. You need the filming equipment but you also need someone with the knowledge of what they're doing. I imagine other clubs can't do it because they either don't have the money for equipment or they don't have the volunteers coming forward to actually run it properly.

I agree it would be amazing if every club could offer the service that EF, Raith and Falkirk do in this league but the fact that only 3 clubs can offer it, and two of them are full time, I think tells you it's not that easy to do.

Agreed that EFTV do a great job, and they are always very professional when we are playing them.

Can't speak for other teams, but everyone (including me) commits their time to RaithTV voluntarily. We can stream at home because we have the technical set up there and the knowledgeable volunteers able to attend those games.

Away games are a different story. There can be various issues. To name but a few... volunteer availability (work/family commitments clashing with travel times), a lack of space for commentators to be close to our camera (something that would be necessary for our streaming set up), no power points and (crucially) no stable internet connections near the camera position. What ones apply, if any, vary depending on the ground.

To be fair though, it is understandable why this is the situation. In addition to getting the technical knowledge, fixing some of these problems can be expensive for a club and they are likely working with limited resources - so they are quite rightly more concerned with investing in their teams first and foremost. 

Like everyone else, I have no idea about what will happen if the scenario were to occur, but we will try to do what we can within any SPFL rules and what we have available.

1 hour ago, Wee Sandy said:

SO........the answer to the original question, after 3 pages of posts is.........................nobody knows!! 

Quelle surprise!!  Sheesh.

It's a fans' football forum not the executive committee of the WHO, you walloper.

The obvious thing that has to happen shortly is some players get it, what happens then, some team maybe running with a squad of 18 or so. If a players comes down with it does his team mates have to self isolate. Its a real bag of worms although on todays news the government  health minister has it & was in the cabinet meeting yesterday but they are just going to carry on & inflict more tory misery on us.

The obvious thing that has to happen shortly is some players get it, what happens then, some team maybe running with a squad of 18 or so. If a players comes down with it does his team mates have to self isolate. Its a real bag of worms although on todays news the government  health minister has it & was in the cabinet meeting yesterday but they are just going to carry on & inflict more tory misery on us.
Man City v Arsenal has been postponed as the Arsenal players are having to self isolate. Same would happen up here I presume.

The number of European ties getting played behind closed doors continues to increase. Surely just a matter of time before it's the same here.

I am out of the country but I am seething than that the Rangers v. Bayer-Leverkusen match will involve fans travelling to Glasgow from one of the most heavily affected areas in Germany.

I don't like Rangers very much but I particularly take exception to the club significantly advancing the spread of Covid19 by allowing this match to take place as normal.

This is absolute folly, surely?

Can anything be done to stop it?

Edited by Brummo
replacement of indefinite article.