What happens if they ban large gatherings due to COVID-19?

In another thread, in passing, a note was made about the possibility of playing games with no fans in attendance. It got me thinking, what would the choices be if something like the latest Italian fiasco came to pass? (Limiting the discussion to impact on Scottish football)

How many fitba teams could afford to refund Season Ticket holders 15-25% of their money? How many teams would be put into serious financial difficulty without revenues from home games? Would they perhaps just put a month long pause on the season, and what would that do to schedules and such? If they extended the season, how would contract issues be addressed? Would the players be paid during a pause? Or would they simply declare the season over and the results final?

Just some thoughts, surely there is some dusty pile of plans somewhere in the files.

Edited by TxRover

In another thread, in passing, a note was made about the possibility of playing games with no fans in attendance. It got me thinking, what would the choices be if something like the latest Italian fiasco came to pass? (Limiting the discussion to impact on Scottish football) How many fitba teams could afford to refund Season Ticket holders 15-25% of their money? How many teams would be put into serious financial difficulty without revenues from home games? Would they perhaps just put a month long pause on the season, and what would that do to schedules and such? If they extended the season, how would contract issues be addressed? Would the players be paid during a pause? Or would they simply declare the season over and the results final? Just some thoughts, surely there is some dusty pile of plans somewhere in the files. 

If games are played behind closed doors, I doubt clubs would part refund season tickets as they probably couldn’t afford to. However I’ve got my concerns re whether closed door games would be possible, as if you’ve made a decision that there’s a health implication of playing the fixture that would surely apply to players as much as supporters?

I’d also expect a push for government and football association recompense but there’s no guarantee that it would be forthcoming....

ps. They will probably just cancel the season to keep Hearts and media luvvies Thistle up.....

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

In another thread, in passing, a note was made about the possibility of playing games with no fans in attendance. It got me thinking, what would the choices be if something like the latest Italian fiasco came to pass? (Limiting the discussion to impact on Scottish football)

How many fitba teams could afford to refund Season Ticket holders 15-25% of their money? How many teams would be put into serious financial difficulty without revenues from home games? Would they perhaps just put a month long pause on the season, and what would that do to schedules and such? If they extended the season, how would contract issues be addressed? Would the players be paid during a pause? Or would they simply declare the season over and the results final?

Just some thoughts, surely there is some dusty pile of plans somewhere in the files.

Most Rovers fans are good guys so wouldn’t want their season ticket money back. The Main Stand is fairly sparsely populated where I sit. We could probably keep enough of a gap between us all.

Most Rovers fans are good guys so wouldn’t want their season ticket money back. The Main Stand is fairly sparsely populated where I sit. We could probably keep enough of a gap between us all.

Given the demographics of the Main Stand, and the coronavirus' penchant for targeting the elderly, you might just find you've got the whole place to yourself.

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

Interesting question. I certainly wouldn’t ask for money back given the circumstances are way out with the club’s control but perhaps others would.

Fair enough, but there are barristers around, and probably enough “fans” to squeal.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

If they ban large gatherings then only Falkirk would have any games postponed or played behind closed doors in this shit tip of a league.

Best response so far...

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

At least nobody would be there to watch us turn you over for a fourth time this season.

...until that one.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

If games are played behind closed doors, I doubt clubs would part refund season tickets as they probably couldn’t afford to.

Contract law is sticky, so absent a government action...

IDK, I expect a complete fiasco over here in the States when it explodes, perhaps it’ll be better there. Except, neither of us has competent leadership.

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Fair enough, but there are barristers around, and probably enough “fans” to squeal.

Best response so far...

...until that one.

Contract law is sticky, so absent a government action...

IDK, I expect a complete fiasco over here in the States when it explodes, perhaps it’ll be better there. Except, neither of us has competent leadership.

You'll be hoping the virus wipes our your leader I would imagine!?!

I do actually have a suggestion for this one, although it’s got its flaws and would require an injection of cash from the government and its a bit harsh on some clubs.
Cancel the season.
Promote the top two in each division
No relegation this season.
Delay the start of next season TIL October or November when the worst of the virus is expected to be over.
Play shorter league next year such that teams just play each other twice. In a fourteen team top league that’s a 26 game season and in the divisions below, 22 games.
Promote one team, relegate three each division.
As I say, it’s got its flaws but it’s the best I could think up quickly.
Discuss.....

48 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I do actually have a suggestion for this one, although it’s got its flaws and would require an injection of cash from the government and its a bit harsh on some clubs.
Cancel the season.
Promote the top two in each division
No relegation this season.
Delay the start of next season TIL October or November when the worst of the virus is expected to be over.
Play shorter league next year such that teams just play each other twice. In a fourteen team top league that’s a 26 game season and in the divisions below, 22 games.
Promote one team, relegate three each division.
As I say, it’s got its flaws but it’s the best I could think up quickly.
Discuss.....

Not a terrible start, but seeing what has happened before with qualifications, etc.

Use the applicable standings for the day the season is cancelled, which would include subtracting points to compare two teams with differing games played totals.

Promote and relegate one team down through League Two. No promotion/relegation below that, however, all teams in Highland/Lowland League receive a bonus payment equal to the ninth place payout in League Two.