Skiing in Scotland

bopolopoluss1

The recent storms have led to big dumps of snow at all of the major Scottish ski resorts and with a bit of annual leave to use up before the end of this month I was thinking about jumping in the car and heading north for a day or two, although from doing a bit of searching they all a bit hit or miss and it's difficult to tell from the information available and reviews which is the best. 

I'm probably an intermediate level skiier who just wants to cruise about on longer runs. I'd prefer somewhere pisted and well groomed and I'd rather go on a recommendation from here than from weird youtube vlogger or really out of date written blogs.  Does anyone here go regularly or have any suggestions? 

1 minute ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

The recent storms have led to big dumps of snow at all of the major Scottish ski resorts and with a bit of annual leave to use up before the end of this month I was thinking about jumping in the car and heading north for a day or two, although from doing a bit of searching they all a bit hit or miss and it's difficult to tell from the information available and reviews which is the best. 

I'm probably an intermediate level skiier who just wants to cruise about on longer runs. I'd prefer somewhere pisted and well groomed and I'd rather go on a recommendation from here than from weird youtube vlogger or really out of date written blogs.  Does anyone here go regularly or have any suggestions? 

Glencoe and Glenshee are best bets IMO. The Lecht is pish.

Have never been to Cairngorm for skiiing but it does have the advantage of there being plenty accommodation and things to do around Aviemore if you are making a trip of it rather than a day trip.

I'd agree with Glenshee this year, good cover and decent runs for an intermediate. The Lecht is great for beginners, but anything more challenging needs better conditions and the runs are pretty short.

Cairngorm is a disaster since the funicular went down. If you're an intermediate skier, then you should be okay on the tow. But to be honest, I wouldn't bother. Its only advantage is being near Aviemore for the facilities.

Not been to Glencoe this year, but it looks good as well. When it was alpine conditions a few years ago it was better than the Alps in my opinion. Never really skied at the Nevis Range, so unsure.

Edited by Cyclizine

Haven't skied for ages, but the best time I had in Scotland was powder on a sunny day high up on Glencoe. Most of the time it was ice, heather and gravel. Getting on a bit and thinking of trying a bit of Nordic/cross country in a good winter up here, used to ski to school in Sweden sometimes. There's a club in Inverness that I keep meaning to get in touch with.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Haven't skied for ages, but the best time I had in Scotland was powder on a sunny day high up on Glencoe. Most of the time it was ice, heather and gravel. 

6A0C489F-A7B9-4643-BDA0-80CE106863D5.gif