Chelsea looking at buying SPFL Club

7 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I don't buy for one second that has anything to do with the ownership, in terms of 'giving a f**k'. 

My lad has grown up a Saints fan and probably dreams about playing for them but wouldn't know Steve Brown if passed him in the street. 

If players are loyal to a club it's geography, family history, club culture, habit etc that matters. Yes some of these players (all of which bar Gordon have played at other clubs at some stage) will 'play for the jersey' but surely that's more about the management not the owners. 

Also as far as investment goes then that would all be part of the deal structure. We might get a fancy new scoreboard and card machines at the pie stalls. 

I would resist any move to mess around with the half time draw. Dragging spangled fans out of hospitality to do keepy-uppies for general entertainment is the heart and soul of our club. 

My thoughts, too.

40 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

MT is kind of right here though is he not? The entire argument is based around St Johnstone and Chelsea both being football clubs, and not unrelated businesses.

Ach, Random Guy likes to play the man, the inadequate wee arsehole that he is.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

There's the thing, it's the timing that's got me too. 

If the Browns can strike a deal where they can 'assure the fans' that the 'appropriate guarantees are in place' that the club will remain independent and autonomous, that we'll be in control of our own destiny, manager picks players and that the club can take advantage of 'all the advantages of one of the biggest teams in the world' etc and that it would be 'in the best interest of the future of the club' and with no other options on the table ....

I can absoutely see it happening. In fact I could pretty much write the press release. 

It's interesting the point about identity. Nobody thinks that we're an extension of a builder's business at the moment. There's 'selling' to, say, another local business family but selling to another football club is 'selling out'. 

I don't think it will, or should, happen. But it's not our decision at the end of the day and if Chelsea come knocking with a big cheque and an easy way out you don't think the Browns would sell and post-rationalise the decision as a win?

Why would Chelsea buy a basket case club rather than one that's financialy viable and as safe a business as you'll get in Scottish football?

I think you did...

51 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

MT is kind of right here though is he not? The entire argument is based around St Johnstone and Chelsea both being football clubs, and not unrelated businesses.

For whoever mentioned Gillian Taylforth's knickers.. ffs it's not 1994!!  

Yes, that was my point when I said there was a distinction between 'selling' and 'selling out'. 

Football isn't a normal sector. What I'm thinking is that might not be the way Brown Jnr sees the world. In fact we know that from some of his pronouncements. 

Ergo, I am slightly worried. 

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Sun had an article saying it was St Mirren, fwiw, but the article has now been taken down.

Never us in a million years. 

Though you can see why we'd be near the top of the list if they were identifying clubs: airport proximity alone would surely be a key factor.

Must admit I'm not familiar with the new rules that they're claiming is driving this. Surely, for the costs involved, and for the likelihood of actually developing first team talent via this system, Chelsea would be better off just sticking to the rules and culling their ridiculous squad. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

For whoever mentioned Gillian Taylforth's knickers.. ffs it's not 1994!!  

Indeed. And not 1954 either. Why do we remember her for this (with a snigger) but not the guy?

14 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:
TBF if it does happen a club like St Johnstone with no connection to their local community and no real history or character would be an ideal candidate.

Similar to United, I suppose. Unless their community is Angus and Fife.

And Perthshire. Which is more than can be said for Saints 

7 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Profit? Dundee clubs? :lol:

only way they'd turn a profit is if they start stealing and dealing.

Given the Chelsea owners very dodgy history of just how he made his fortune and possible links with Russian gangsters, I can only say "Welcome to Dens!" 

11 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Indeed. And not 1954 either. Why do we remember her for this (with a snigger) but not the guy?

Not often I agree with you but you are correct.

Al fresco or in the car action are hardly limited to minor soap stars and anyone posting about this in an outraged way must have led a very sheltered (sexual) life or be some kind of religious virginal lunatic.

p.s. The team will deffo be St Johnstone, not many will care if they are re branded as Chelsea (North), least of all their "fanbase".

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Sun had an article saying it was St Mirren, fwiw, but the article has now been taken down.

Easily confused (by the Sun). They think St Mirren v St Johnstone is a local derby.