Chelsea looking at buying SPFL Club

Basically want a club to farm all their loanees out to. The club would keep a core of Scottish players and would sell on the players.

Would Rangers fans be okay with this? 🤔

Edited by jagfox99

8 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Basically want a club to farm all their loanees out to. The club would keep a core of Scottish players and would sell on the players.

Would Rangers fans be okay with this? 🤔

It's Partick. 

23 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

The very thought gives me the boak. Let's hope it's not us.

Bit of devil's advocate here, but why would being owned by a large club with a big pool of talent and experience on and off the pitch and very deep pockets be worse than being owned by a local tradesman that inherited the business, works part time and is vocal about not wanting the job?

To me it depends on how arm's length they were with the management of the club, and how much constraint they put on the playing and coaching side and the community identity of the club. 

Being rational about it, Brown wants to sell and in any other business you would look for synergies, so being bought by an investor that actually knows how the football business works could be an advantage, as well as scale efficiencies. There could be virtually no evidence whatsoever of the ownership in the everyday operation of the club. 

However that's very much a head rather than a heart line of thinking, and I'd not either as IME when larger groups get involved they tend to insert themseles quite aggressively into their subsidiaries and I'm sure that they'd not entertain a minority stake. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

11 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Bit of devil's advocate here, but why would being owned by a large club with a big pool of talent and experience on and off the pitch and very deep pockets be worse than being owned by a local tradesman that inherited the business, works part time and is vocal about not wanting the job?

To me it depends on how arm's length they were with the management of the club, and how much constraint they put on the playing and coaching side and the community identity of the club. 

Being rational about it, Brown wants to sell and in any other business you would look for synergies, so being bought by an investor that actually knows how the football business works could be an advantage, as well as scale efficiencies. There could be virtually no evidence whatsoever of the ownership in the everyday operation of the club. 

However that's very much a head rather than a heart line of thinking, and I'd not either as IME when larger groups get involved they tend to insert themseles quite aggressively into their subsidiaries and I'm sure that they'd not entertain a minority stake. 

I'm all for it, what could go wrong? Kinda of similar in a very loose way but I'm sure the Leipzig fans absolutely hate their European jaunts and slugging it out at the top of the Bundesliga. 

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

It would serve only the large club, local youth development would be out the window.

Most of the clubs in this country still have an identity with their community.

I'd rather see part fan ownership of football clubs than take overs by owners of bigger clubs, didn't Rangers get into a whole mess over duel ownership?

I agree with the part fan ownership model, that keeps the club rooted in the community. 

Ultimately this is about control, identity and 'soul' of the club, whichever one it is. Personally I'm not overly bothered about who bankrolls what, as long as the operations and identity etc are kept local. 

I personally don't think that this can be done as the ownership interests will always trump local ones, and youth development is a good example of where that might happen. 

But ... I can see how an owner looking for an exit strategy could be attracted to it. 

There would be little to no benefit for us as a club, unless they were willing to actually 'invest' as well as flinging a dozen loanees our way.

There may or not be some success along the way on the pitch but the thought of a load of new players every summer who aren't at all interested in Saints, or Scottish football generally, just doesn't appeal to me. The idea of being a testing ground for Chelsea doesn't sit well.

2 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

There would be little to no benefit for us as a club, unless they were willing to actually 'invest' as well as flinging a dozen loanees our way.

There may or not be some success along the way on the pitch but the thought of a load of new players every summer who aren't at all interested in Saints, or Scottish football generally, just doesn't appeal to me. The idea of being a testing ground for Chelsea doesn't sit well.

Do you honestly think the players actually give a f**k about St Johnstone?

Going further on Tam's question -

Tell me that Liam Craig, Muzz, Liam Gordon, Spoony don't give a f**k?

There's always going to be players that don't give a f**k, but I think as a club, particularly over the last 10/15 years, we've been lucky to have players who did/do give a f**k about this club. The same can't be said (largely speaking) about the squads in the decade or so before.

9 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I think they give a little bit more of a f**k than a bunch of 19 year olds, signed to Chelsea, from all over the Europe and beyond, would, yes.

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

There might be a few supporters among the players but most players are loyal to the club that pays their wages and loyal to their team mates.

See this is it, Apart from a couple of local lads, most players see it as a job and rightly so, you do get the odd long serving player who has affection but its few and far between. A team of Chelsea loanee and young players would give Motherwell/Aberdeen a run for their money imo. Money would be spent on the pitch and surroundings etc all win wins. If part of the deal could see a couple of board members elected by fans every few years that would be ideal.

They also play in blue and play the liquidator,  I'm in.

Edited by tree house tam
Stupid phone