St Johnstone vs Livingston 07/03/2020

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think 3-5-2 suits us best as well. I like having the security of the 3 quality cbs, 3 ballers/runners  in the middle and May and Hendry benefit from a partner up front. I’d probably look to build a side capable of playing that formation next season. 

harsh on Booth who is probably the one players who suffers most from not playing a back 4. 

TW likes it against Livi to try and have an extra man to defend the set pieces and throw ins. 

Also allows us to play 2 up front with 3 men centrally. Decent balance. 

A game where both teams deserved to lose it was that bad. We need to drop the 3 at the back, take one of the cb’s out and put them at full back or on the bench. Dykes was so isolated, lawless is nowhere near as effective, need to go back to 4231.

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Drey Wright having a fucking mare. 

Some ball across though. 

It's a win. That and the goal the only thing to take away today. Which is enough really. 

Fucking brutal otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think 3-5-2 suits us best as well. I like having the security of the 3 quality cbs, 3 ballers/runners  in the middle and May and Hendry benefit from a partner up front. I’d probably look to build a side capable of playing that formation next season. 

harsh on Booth who is probably the one players who suffers most from not playing a back 4. 

Yes but he gives us the option of going to a 4 if we need it and frankly if we need a properly defensive back 5 I'd rather have him than Tanser, who was poor today I thought. Not sure that we'd have lost much with Booth on.

Hard to disagree that was utterly miserable stuff, we really need the full week off because that team is knackered. So many loose passes in midfield and and last third, poor communication. TW said that he thought the players had tired brains as well as legs after the St Mirren game, looked very much like that. Thought that Holt played pretty well and looked fresher than most so was a wee bit surprised to see him hooked, would have thought Spoony on for Tanser would have been the call. 

Would have liked to have seen MOH on sooner and it looked for a while like Izzy was going to get a wee run out. 

Lovely to see how much that meant to Hendry. 

Onwards we go, let's try to bring a good number down to ER next week.

Game was absolute murder. Both sides were absolutely murder. Only real bit of quality all game has won it for Saints.

3-5-1-1 is fine for us away to Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, etc. but away here we should be having a bit more of a go. Dykes was horrendously isolated and even when there was a hint we had a wee bit of momentum in the second half we created f**k all. Miserable stuff.

Race for the top six is getting rather tasty now.

Given how much Livingston fans and all those connected with the club defend their pitch, to hear Gary Holt use the pitch as an excuse is just wonderful. It’s also a hell of a stretch to say Livi controlled any part of that game. They had the ball in the air (just as we were guilty of) more than it was at anyone’s feet!

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

Given how much Livingston fans and all those connected with the club defend their pitch, to hear Gary Holt use the pitch as an excuse is just wonderful. It’s also a hell of a stretch to say Livi controlled any part of that game. They had the ball in the air (just as we were guilty of) more than it was at anyone’s feet!

Grass pitches give an unfair advantage to the home team and they should be banned.

2 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Grass pitches give an unfair advantage to the home team and they should be banned.

Have yourself a green arrow. 

Tremendous effort from the McDairmid ground staff today with the extra watering of the pitch at the Main/Ormond corner at half time, it clearly needed that. The standing water was starting to soak away. 

57 minutes ago, Widge said:

Haven’t see Holt’s interview.

i understand you’re perspective and it’s natural to think the losing team’s manager is making excuses. However, If Holt said the pitch had an impact on the ability to play the game on the ground then I think that’s fair. Nir Biton volunteered a preference after Wed, “It is not the best place to come and play. I mean, I prefer this surface than St Johnstone.”. There’s a case to say that both teams pumped it forward because of the pitch but we’ll never know. As punting it forward goes it was horribly executed by us. I thought we we shaded the first and didn’t expect to concede but ‘controlled’ I’m not so sure about. We were dog shit in the second half and didn’t deserve to win it. 

Edited by crispy

It's a ploughed field peppered with grass seed in Scotland in winter, add in horrendous conditions and what's not to like? Get fucking on with it you melodramatic c***s, stop moaning, good players should be able to adapt  to the conditions. 

Well deserved win for Saints imo, played well that last 8 minutes.

Possibly but I think one if the middle three has to be Wotherspoon. Needs on of the three to get between the lines and the three today, for all their other qualities, don't bring that.

10 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I’m a fanboy of him, but trying to take my Tanser blinkers off, don’t think it’s fair to single him out for criticism, thought he played ok, especially second half.

Wright looked abysmal but produced end product, basically the complete antithesis to a Drey Wright performance. 

I just mentioned Tanser as that was my train of thought at the time. Drey was horrible until 'that cross', Butcher wasn't brilliant but I do like how he doesn't hide. Main thing was they've played a lot of hard football recently and it showed, and both teams are prone to a shitfest and a bit of gamesmanship so it was never going to be one for the neutrals. 

For me our 3 centre backs were excellent and I can barely remember Dykes getting a touch. One of the best things about 3 at the back is it lets Kerr maraud up the park where he can do damage, saw some of that today. 

Today was all about the result. Hopefully we can get top 6 and open up a bit in the better weather.

25 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:
3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Possibly but I think one if the middle three has to be Wotherspoon. Needs on of the three to get between the lines and the three today, for all their other qualities, don't bring that.

Agreed 100%. 

Re the pitch, it was/is awful, understandable given the weather so not blaming anyone, as was Ibrox a few weeks ago, Easter Road last week, but I think Livi fans have had to listen to shite about our pitch all season long, the so called experts continue to use the “they aren’t consistent to play on” about synthetic pitches, meanwhile grass pitches get away without a single mention of how bad and difficult they are to play on at this time of the year.

Todays game was horrific, St Johnstone scored, we didn’t, end of story. Good luck with the remaining games. 

1 hour ago, andylivi1 said:

Re the pitch, it was/is awful, understandable given the weather so not blaming anyone, as was Ibrox a few weeks ago, Easter Road last week, but I think Livi fans have had to listen to shite about our pitch all season long, the so called experts continue to use the “they aren’t consistent to play on” about synthetic pitches, meanwhile grass pitches get away without a single mention of how bad and difficult they are to play on at this time of the year.

Todays game was horrific, St Johnstone scored, we didn’t, end of story. Good luck with the remaining games. 

Seen a few Livi fans tweeting conspiracies about Saints pitch suggesting some kind of deliberate plan to stop teams playing football 😂

The fact of the matter it rained pretty much constantly for 2 weeks pre and Post Rangers game up during until after Celtic game. Difference is between say Saints and other teams in the league is our games actually went ahead after all that rain. Motherwell for example it was called off. It then didn't get played on.

Saintsstaff should be praised for getting the game on, instead of stick for it being a mess after the games. 

2 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Seen a few Livi fans tweeting conspiracies about Saints pitch suggesting some kind of deliberate plan to stop teams playing football 😂

The fact of the matter it rained pretty much constantly for 2 weeks pre and Post Rangers game up during until after Celtic game. Difference is between say Saints and other teams in the league is our games actually went ahead after all that rain. Motherwell for example it was called off. It then didn't get played on.

Saintsstaff should be praised for getting the game on, instead of stick for it being a mess after the games. 

Completely agreed with most of your post.The only thing that I have problem with was putting the sprinklers on at half time.I know that Chris has been told to do this by the pitch consultants but for the life of me I cant see the logic in watering a wet pitch that players were(at times)s struggling to keep their balance on.

Obviously the game was a shocker. However, we've got to be delighted with how well our defence played. Particularly McCart. That was a 90 minute aerial assault. 

Other than the 3 central defenders and Clark, not many pass marks. Thought Holt was the best of the midfield 3. Hendry had a few nice touches and flicks. 

Game seemed to change when Spoony came on and what a goal he nearly scored. Hendrys goal deserved to win the game though. Great cross, even better finish. You've got to love Callum Hendry. Top player, looked knackered after 60 mins but kept going. He's such a natural finisher.