Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

Just now, Gaz FFC said:

I was at Hampden when we beat the Dutch

I was at Hampden when we drew with Italy

I was at Hampden when we beat France

I was at Hampden when we spanked Ukraine

A full Hampden is rocking and certainly a 12th Man for the team. I certainly am not about to retract my comment because you've been swept up in the Hampden hysteria

I was at all of those games bar the France match and I agree, I've never really understood some of the abuse Hampden gets. Obviously the stands being closer to the pitch would make it better, but folk act like it's the worst stadium in the world.  

I am the same, some of the best atmosphere's i have ever experienced in a football match have all been at Hampden, i get that its not great for actually watching the game from behind both goals or low down but I just don't buy tickets in these areas. When its full and rocking, it is very much intimidating for opposition teams

6 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I was at Hampden when we beat the Dutch

I was at Hampden when we drew with Italy

I was at Hampden when we beat France

I was at Hampden when we spanked Ukraine

A full Hampden is rocking and certainly a 12th Man for the team. I certainly am not about to retract my comment because you've been swept up in the Hampden hysteria

A 50 thousand full stadium anywhere is going to do that though. Lets not pretend its Hampden thats assisting the atmosphere though, its in spite of its design. 50 thousand Scotland fans at Ibrox in those matches would make far far more noise because its steeper and closer. 
I have experienced stadium noises at other stadiums in Glasgow and further afield and sadly Hampden is a distant second.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

A 50 thousand full stadium anywhere is going to do that though. Lets not pretend its Hampden thats assisting the atmosphere though, its in spite of its design. 50 thousand Scotland fans at Ibrox in those matches would make far far more noise because its steeper and closer. 
I have experienced stadium noises at other stadiums in Glasgow and further afield and sadly Hampden is a distant second.

I've seen Celtic park, Ibrox and Old Trafford all look at atmospheric as a funeral in recent months.

13 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I am the same, some of the best atmosphere's i have ever experienced in a football match have all been at Hampden, i get that its not great for actually watching the game from behind both goals or low down but I just don't buy tickets in these areas. When its full and rocking, it is very much intimidating for opposition teams

Gary Neville (love him or hate him) a guy who gets paid to travel all over the country/Europe commentating everywhere even had a great word for Hampden.

I think at this stage the only question is when the SFA will let us know, start crying, and begin the process of refunding everyone's tickets.  I was pretty sure the game would happen but behind closed doors, but even that's looking unlikely now.  The only reason they'd really need to force the games to be played was if the tournament itself was happening, and this is looking increasingly unlikely.  Postpone the tournament to next summer, find a weekend over the summer to run the playoffs, and hope that everyone is down from Defcon 1 by then.  It just isn't worth forcing it for a tournament that seems like an increasingly terrible idea.

4 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I've seen Celtic park, Ibrox and Old Trafford all look at atmospheric as a funeral in recent months.

Gary Neville (love him or hate him) a guy who gets paid to travel all over the country/Europe commentating everywhere even had a great word for Hampden.

You really aren’t getting my point. Celtic gets a lot of recognition for its Atmosphere in Europe (I could quote a load of legends rather than Gary Neville but it would be tedious) but we wouldn’t have anywhere near the recognition we do if games were played at Hampden due to its layout. I would love to say its purely down to our fans but Stadium layout and the acoustics from this play a massive part.

As an example I was in the Mestalla last year for the Celtic game. Spanish football isn't exactly renowned for its atmosphere, it sounded louder than I have ever heard hampden, it wasnt a massive game for them, ground wasnt even full but because it was so steep it sounded brilliant. 

1 hour ago, Geez a Braco said:

If the game cannot go ahead UEFA should accept an amalgamated team from (Israel, Scotland, Norway, Serbia )  Iscotwabia.   We could have Billy Gilmour picking balls up to Haaland and Mitrovic and qualify ahead of England and Croatia out the group. 

Nah, that Haaland needs another few years in the u21s IMO.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

I think at this stage the only question is when the SFA will let us know, start crying, and begin the process of refunding everyone's tickets.  I was pretty sure the game would happen but behind closed doors, but even that's looking unlikely now.  The only reason they'd really need to force the games to be played was if the tournament itself was happening, and this is looking increasingly unlikely.  Postpone the tournament to next summer, find a weekend over the summer to run the playoffs, and hope that everyone is down from Defcon 1 by then.  It just isn't worth forcing it for a tournament that seems like an increasingly terrible idea.

What makes you think they'd need to refund it? 

The fans have bought tickets for Scotland V Israel at Hampden. It just so happens that our next scheduled game outwith a potential Euros stint would be Scotland V Israel at Hampden... could just tell us all tickets for this game are valid for that game... 

Kind of thing has Rod Petrie written all over it. 

25 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

The fans have bought tickets for Scotland V Israel at Hampden. It just so happens that our next scheduled game outwith a potential Euros stint would be Scotland V Israel at Hampden... could just tell us all tickets for this game are valid for that game... 

True.  May well do some middle ground and say that anyone who does want a refund can have one (through a long, convoluted, soul-destroying process of course), but tickets will remain valid for the rescheduled game once it is rescheduled.  Most I imagine will hold on to them.  Would only be if UEFA came out and said the game will never happen that they'd have to refund I suppose.

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

No they haven't. They have bought tickets for the UEFA Euro 2020 Play-off Semi Final between Scotland and Israel. The tickets have that displayed prominently on them.

Edited by craigkillie

23 minutes ago, forameus said:

True.  May well do some middle ground and say that anyone who does want a refund can have one (through a long, convoluted, soul-destroying process of course), but tickets will remain valid for the rescheduled game once it is rescheduled.  Most I imagine will hold on to them.  Would only be if UEFA came out and said the game will never happen that they'd have to refund I suppose.

Could do. 

Unless they move the tournament itself (which of course they might) I can't see them postponing the games. There isn't really any space in the schedule as is. I can see them banning fans, despite this running contrary to the science as it stands (at least in Scotland and wider UK) or maybe even deciding the winners without playing the games (imagine!) but either way yes, for those who would not want to/be unable to go to the other scheduled game against Israel in the autumn you're likely right, they would need to offer some form of refund. 

Maybe. As you say, one imagines they'll make it as tough as they can. 

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

No they haven't. They have bought tickets for the UEFA Euro 2020 Play-off Final between Scotland and Israel. The tickets have that displayed prominently on them.

Semi-final, technically, but yes obviously it does say that on the tickets. Still, I fully expect that's what they would try; make these tickets valid for Scotland V Israel: Nations League Edition. 

I have very little interest in watching a nations league match, I have purchased tickets based on the importance of this match, I’d be pretty pissed if the SFA just expected people to use their ticket for a relatively meaningless game, A simple refund process is the only justifiable action should the game be cancelled.

28 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They legally wouldn't get away with that, and so obviously won't try it, so I wouldn't worry.

Aye legally they’d have to offer a refund. It just depends on how complex they would make it.   For normal postponed games it’s expected the majority of ticket holders would use their ticket anyway and the refund process isn’t usually that easy.   My point being that on this occasion it wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect a far higher return rate and that the process should be easier as a result.