Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

That was a terrific 5 minute spell by Scotland. No panic, no trying to force it. Kept the ball in play and constantly moving. 

Scotland - where keeping possession of the ball for a couple of minutes is TERRIFIC!

Edited by ArabFC

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:
That was a terrific 5 minute spell by Scotland. No panic, no trying to force it. Kept the ball in play and constantly moving. 

Terrific is not the word I would use.

We are winni g against a side who are still camped in their own half. There's no need to get sloppy and try to force a second goal. If they don't want to come out and win the ball then quite happily pass it around between one another for the last half hour. It's not a time to be stupid. 

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Safe, easy option from Robertson every time. Not good enough.

No one in midfield seems to want to drive forward with the ball. We have no one overlapping out wide as well.  

Too narrow and too slow.

I agree he is supposed to be a highly intelligent football player, but can’t adapt to a slightly different position? 

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Scotland - where keeping possession of the ball for a couple of minutes is TERRIFIC!

It is exactly that. Great game management. 

Would you rather they kept pumping aimless balls forward so you could moan about that? 

6 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Before the game Tierney was talking about how Clarke had been in London explaining how he'd be part of his team. Sounds to me like Clarke's solution (this formation) isn't a short-term thing.

Quite rightly as well. The Scottish national team need to pick an identity and stick with it, rather than changing from game to game. They've played this system 45 minutes and people want it changed already.

The formation isn't an issue. Indeed, I can't remember many games recently where Scotland have looked so comfortable defending when they lose the ball. However, the personnel aren't quite right; McGregor and Jack doesn't work as a pairing in this sort of game. Christie is the only player who plays on the half turn. This team is crying out for Armstrong, and a player with real pace.