Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

Guest DAVIDB69

Probably more concerning now our next game is against them again and they will feel confident of getting the result .

Probably half a dozen changes as the normal though.

38 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

The reality is that at International level even modest opponents on paper ........don’t give the ball away cheaply. Players like McGregor,Jack and Forrest are used to getting the ball back from weak opponents who are invariably “beaten before they start” in the SPL.

International football is absolutely turgid to watch (not just Scotland) - loads of ball retention in deep areas and very few crosses, shots, goalmouth action. I only watched last night to see how Lyndon performed and I thought he did very well despite almost non existent service.

Straight away McGregor and Forrest were caught on the ball, as they are used to strolling through games against dross

But they are seasoned internationals and uefa club games

They should know this

Just replace with any of premiership alternatives

12 minutes ago, Rscot said:

I just don’t rate Clarke, he has neither the football brain or the personality for the job. Clarke is an assistant manager, a coach to take training sessions etc, not a manager.

He spent two years, through some fairly miserable humpings saying, it's about the system, im establishing a system

Then wins three games on the spin

But next games changes the system, saying, it doesn't matter about systems?

Edited by Binos

23 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I've always thought that at international level you either devise a system then pick the best players to fit that system, or you pick your best players and devise a system to get the best out of them. We don't seem to do either. I can't fathom why we consistently shoehorn players in to positions other than their natural one.

We also have never understood, how do we play

Are we an old British style team, like Iceland or Ireland still use successfully

Or are we a new passy about style team

We seem to do a bit of both but also neither

Devoid of identity or direction

With a new 11 every game

10 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Fair play to Steve Clarke for coming up with a system that nullifies every single player except maybe Scott McKenna.

That was probably our worst Hampden performance since Wales in 2013.

Yup.  Utterly bizarre to completely alter the system in order to get a player (not even our best player) into the team, out of position.   Dreadful result, entirely on Clarke’s shoulders.   A result which would have other managers in serious trouble.

40 minutes ago, Binos said:

We also have never understood, how do we play

Are we an old British style team, like Iceland or Ireland still use successfully

Or are we a new passy about style team

We seem to do a bit of both but also neither

Devoid of identity or direction

With a new 11 every game

Really dont think Rabbie Burns is shiteing it with this  effort m8

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Clarke needs to take some of the blame but he isn't Rumpelstiltskin. He can't keep spinning gold out of this shite.

With the players we have we should easily be beating Israel at home. We were dreadful last night, largely because of the bewildering team selection. 

14 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

With the players we have we should easily be beating Israel at home. We were dreadful last night, largely because of the bewildering team selection. 

Clarke must be delighted the games off

It relieves him of the headache of what the f**k do I do now

I can’t work out if we were so shite we made them look good or if they were actually half-decent. I’m going to go with the former.

I’m not even shocked at these kind of results now. I imagine I’m in the minority here, but I’ve only been following football since 99 and I’m used to Scotland being absolutely dire when we really shouldn’t be. We will never change. I think it’s engrained in our DNA.

Fair play to Steve Clarke for coming up with a system that nullifies every single player except maybe Scott McKenna.

That was probably our worst Hampden performance since Wales in 2013.

1-1 against Lithuania was fucking dire.

We really need to stop changing the system to shoehorn players into it. We have 2 very good left backs, so at least play 1 of them in their natural position and bench the other.

Yesterday’s game was a shambles, we treated Israel like they were Brazil of the 90’s. Gave them far too much time on the ball and allowed them to control the game and tempo. Dykes did ok with the minimal service, but to be an adequate outlet he needs midfield runners who are not 30 yards away when he gets the ball.

Time to get back to our 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1 and get this 3 at the back in the bin. I still think we have decent individual players who play at the highest level but when it comes to Scotland they struggle to do the basics.

International football really is a hinderance.

There's not really any friendly games to experiment any more, so you would probably earmark this one as the most likely to do it in normal times.

However, any thoughts of experimentation should have went out the window with the covid situation. Madness to do this after not playing for 10 months and after 3 positive results and a bit consistency in selection/formation.

Square pegs in round holes and players looking like they didn't have a fucking clue what they were meant to be doing. Instead of putting diwn a marker, we've handed them a massive boost ahead of the semi-final.

We've too many decent centre mids to keep persisting with McGregor in there. Just play Tierney at RB or CB unless you think we have a better option there. Dykes probably did enough to warrant another go, 

Not that I’m defending the formation last night at all, but I can’t believe the amount of people here claiming that the previous system was working, as if last night was just some sort of outlier.

We won 3 games in a row, against the diddies that are Cyprus, San Marino and Kazakhstan, and looked entirely unconvincing and nervy in all aside from San Marino.

Last night was just the latest in a run of uninspiring and uncreative performances.

8 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Overall it was the typical (generous) 6/10 Scotland performance  I think we’ve grown to expect for a long time now.

It was nothing close to a 6/10 performance.

6/10 is a pass Mark, and pass marks result in a reasonably comfortable victory over Israel at home, a side ranked in the 90s.  

A performance so utterly bereft of attacking intent and chances, in a home game against a weakish team cannot possibly merit more than 2/10.

Ultimately the way this should work is you decide how you want to play every game, tweak it for the opposition and then select your players based on that.

It was difficult to see what Scotland wanted to do both in and out of possession last night. Out of possession, McGinn and Christie didn’t get their pressing right and left the midfield two exposed, making it too easy for Israel to pass through. But why were they told to do that?

The worrying thing is that coaching a team out of possession is Clarke’s strength.