Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

Being called up for your country is an honour... can’t pick and choose... at least pick (insert useless player here) as he’d be passionate, and that’s all that counts....

... Or take the player and both managers at face value.  

I don’t blame any player for not wanting to play international football, given the reactions on here - which tends towards the more reasoned end of football chat.  The hyperbolic cliches about anyone who would rather work for their employers than sit on the bench, unpaid, for their national team seems really, really odd to me.  

7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

With this over abundance of central midfielders in the squad, could it be worthwhile to have, say, Ryan Jack in the U-21s to add some experience to that squad? 

Ryan Jack will be mostly likely a starter, so no, not him. Also there’s pretty much no benefit for any player to play for that particular under 21 team.  They’re absolutely dreadful.

I think that McBurnie was pretty committed at the start. He went on that mad Peru and Mexico trip when loads of others didn't. He was turning up for games regularly.

I think he either became frustrated at how things have went for him in a Scotland strip, especially him not scoring and how shit the service to him has been, or he became annoyed at the abuse he was getting online. Probably a mixture of both.

Not really a miss though.

Guest DAVIDB69
I don't really want him anyway, tbh. He brings out the worst in Scotland managers. The team's strongest area is, by some distance, the midfield. Having some big target man like that just encourages them to bypass said midfield and hoof it long.

They just punt it long to whoever the lone striker is and that has been the way for years now.

12 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It will be on Now TV via their day pass, but Now TV isn't on the Fire Stick.

You can get Now TV via a PS4/Xbox One if you have either of those?

Hmm, no I don't unfortunately - thanks anyhow.

So have I got this right?

Steven Reid says he has a foot injury so he has to withdraw from Friday and Monday's games but then goes on to play 45 minutes in a friendly, then Wilder says he has spoken to Clarke to say he wasn't fit enough to play competitive games. 

All of this could've been avoided, the arrogance of Sheffield United and McBurnie himself to actually come on and play in a meaningless game is really poor, they know the reaction it would've got and don't give a flying f@ck. Would now imagine this will dominate Clarkes press conference tomorrow instead of an important game. I would bin him from now on.

Given Clarke doesn't seem surprised or upset that McBurnie played last night, I'm just about willing to give both parties the benefit of the doubt this time. I can accept that he might not have been fit enough to play 70-90 minutes of competitive international football by Friday, so Sheffield giving him some minutes in a kick about doesn't really bother me. If McBurnie hadn't been caught being a fanny on that tunnel video I doubt everyone would be saying GTF over this. It does put him in a "last chance" situation though, too many fans are already saying he should never play again, if he fails to turn up again then I think we move on.

Guest DAVIDB69

The needing to build up fitness line is crap , all players in the premier league have not played for around 4-5 weeks.

Even Jamie Ohara on talksport says he was taking liberties .

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

So have I got this right?

Steven Reid says he has a foot injury so he has to withdraw from Friday and Monday's games but then goes on to play 45 minutes in a friendly, then Wilder says he has spoken to Clarke to say he wasn't fit enough to play competitive games. 

All of this could've been avoided, the arrogance of Sheffield United and McBurnie himself to actually come on and play in a meaningless game is really poor, they know the reaction it would've got and don't give a flying f@ck. Would now imagine this will dominate Clarkes press conference tomorrow instead of an important game. I would bin him from now on.

Imagine doing what your employers ask of you.  That’s all is boils down to.  There’s absolutely no arrogance shown by the club.  He’s their employee; what Scotland fans think is of precisely zero importance.  The sense of entitlement of fans to decide what clubs and players do is infinite.

30 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

The needing to build up fitness line is crap , all players in the premier league have not played for around 4-5 weeks.

Even Jamie Ohara on talksport says he was taking liberties .

Well precisely.  He hasn’t played fort five weeks and has a niggling injury.  Of course he needs to build up fitness.

I’m all for having a go at Scotland managers, and I think Steve Clarke was a populist and lazy appointment, but he’s entirely right here.  

At the end of the day, it probably tells you where McBurnie is in his best XI.  He’s terrible, and nowhere near it.

Edited by Savage Henry

As others have said, it’s not a good look at all for McBurnie pulling out then playing in a friendly, but after Clarke’s comments, I think it makes sense. 

He wasn’t going to be fit enough to play for Scotland in a competitive international fixture so why not let him leave the squad if he wasn’t going to be used. 

19 minutes ago, AJF said:

As others have said, it’s not a good look at all for McBurnie pulling out then playing in a friendly, but after Clarke’s comments, I think it makes sense. 

He wasn’t going to be fit enough to play for Scotland in a competitive international fixture so why not let him leave the squad if he wasn’t going to be used. 

That's why we should pioneer the 1-8-1 system in these games

38 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Imagine doing what your employers ask of you.  That’s all is boils down to.  There’s absolutely no arrogance shown by the club.  He’s their employee; what Scotland fans think is of precisely zero importance.  The sense of entitlement of fans to decide what clubs and players do is infinite.

Well precisely.  He hasn’t played fort five weeks and has a niggling injury.  Of course he needs to build up fitness.

I’m all for having a go at Scotland managers, and I think Steve Clarke was a populist and lazy appointment, but he’s entirely right here.  

At the end of the day, it probably tells you where McBurnie is in his best XI.  He’s terrible, and nowhere near it.

Surely common sense applies here and they think to themselves, we've pulled you out the squad so just do some light running or some fitness work rather than having a run about in a friendly when they know its going to cause a storm. You're right though, it looks like they don't have a care in the world. There is no way they would've done that with an England player. 

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Being called up for your country is an honour... can’t pick and choose... at least pick (insert useless player here) as he’d be passionate, and that’s all that counts....

... Or take the player and both managers at face value.  

I don’t blame any player for not wanting to play international football, given the reactions on here - which tends towards the more reasoned end of football chat.  The hyperbolic cliches about anyone who would rather work for their employers than sit on the bench, unpaid, for their national team seems really, really odd to me.  

Ryan Jack will be mostly likely a starter, so no, not him. Also there’s pretty much no benefit for any player to play for that particular under 21 team.  They’re absolutely dreadful.

Are you having a laugh?  Ryan Jack will be nowhere near the team.

2 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Surely common sense applies here and they think to themselves, we've pulled you out the squad so just do some light running or some fitness work rather than having a run about in a friendly when they know its going to cause a storm. You're right though, it looks like they don't have a care in the world. There is no way they would've done that with an England player. 

They would know it would cause a storm but highly doubt Mcburnie and Clarke give a toss what journalists or posters say on the Scotland v Israel topic on p&b. I certainly wouldn't. After watching the open goal interview with Mcburnie, it seemed like he was extremely committed to Scotland. His only frustration/opinion on style of play was not getting the  same level of support as he is used to playing with another striker for Sheff Utd. It was also quite clear from that interview he has always wanted to play for Scotland. 

If his club wanted him to play in a friendly and Clarke was ok with it, absolutely no problem. Call him up for the next squad. This last chance saloon is utter nonsense. 

Guest DAVIDB69
Does anyone give a f**k about this non event compo ?

Our play off game that is still to come is as result of this competition last time around.

It’s very important as we have not much hope of qualifying for the World Cup via the actual groups