Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

Only a few weeks away now, a must win game to at least take us within 90 mins of the Euros. It should be mentioned that its a huge game for Israel also, have they ever qualified for a tournament in their history? defeat in front of a full Hampden would be unthinkable.

Hopefully all players come through the club games and we can get as close to our best team out.

17 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I think on a particularly boring day at work a while back I trawled Wikipedia to see if there were any countries on earth who had ever qualified for a major tournament then experienced as long a drought as we have. Pretty sure Israel with their 1970 World cup appearance and nothing since were the only country to beat our current 22-year streak. They're certainly the only one in Europe.

Norway aren't far behind us though. They've not been since (I think) Euro 2000.

24 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I think on a particularly boring day at work a while back I trawled Wikipedia to see if there were any countries on earth who had ever qualified for a major tournament then experienced as long a drought as we have. Pretty sure Israel with their 1970 World cup appearance and nothing since were the only country to beat our current 22-year streak. They're certainly the only one in Europe.

Northern Ireland went from 1986 until 2016 without qualifying for a major tournament.

21 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

No cigar for Cuba. 1938 and never again although they beat Romania 2-1 after a 3-3 draw then lost 0-8 to Switzerland in the QF. Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia, also made it to France that year but lost 0-6 to Hungary. 

defeat in front of a full Hampden would be unthinkable.

Defeat in front of a full Hampden would be so Scottish......Christ, it’s barely worth thinking of.

If we lose to Israel I will have a meltdown that will last a number of months.

I’ll join you......no, seriously I will.

What's the deal re extra time, pens, golden goal etc for these playoffs?

Extra Time & Penalties were mentioned on Sky Sports News a few months back.

5 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

You're correct - I did much the same myself a while ago - Northern Ireland, Wales and Hungary having qualified recently we've the longest "duck" unless counting Israel's pre-UEFA years.

Finland having qualified there's barely anyone who has never made a finals tournament either... basically the micro-states, Cyprus, Malta, Luxembourg, plus a few of ex-Yugoslav and ex-Soviet.

26 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

You're correct - I did much the same myself a while ago - Northern Ireland, Wales and Hungary having qualified recently we've the longest "duck" unless counting Israel's pre-UEFA years.

Finland having qualified there's barely anyone who has never made a finals tournament either... basically the micro-states, Cyprus, Malta, Luxembourg, plus a few of ex-Yugoslav and ex-Soviet.

Latvia and Estonia have been in a play off since us too

A play off final if being precise