Clyde vs Dumbarton 2: Electric Boogaloo

Genuinely dont understand why our fans give Duffy dogs abuse. He took an absolute shithouse of a squad from the bottom end of League 2 to the playoff final in a short space of time and quite rightly earned a move to Morton. Aye, his teams don't play like Guardiolas, but they are good at what they do.

No wonder fans of other teams think our support is full of morons. We arent sleeping giants. We are 7th in this league for a reason. We were pushing for promotion the SPL 16 or 17 years ago and those days are long gone. We are of a similar stature to the other teams in our league in almost every way other than we get slightly better crowds than a few and we have the best player in the league (IMO).

Think some of us need to be a wee bit more realistic in general and get over thinking that we are bigger and better than everyone else. 

Agree on the above, there was a comment midweek that we are a better team than Montrose. Quite simply we are not. 

I think we are a mid table league 1 side at the moment, which I’m quite happy with given how long we were down for. 

23 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Genuinely dont understand why our fans give Duffy dogs abuse. He took an absolute shithouse of a squad from the bottom end of League 2 to the playoff final in a short space of time and quite rightly earned a move to Morton. Aye, his teams don't play like Guardiolas, but they are good at what they do.

No wonder fans of other teams think our support is full of morons. We arent sleeping giants. We are 7th in this league for a reason. We were pushing for promotion the SPL 16 or 17 years ago and those days are long gone. We are of a similar stature to the other teams in our league in almost every way other than we get slightly better crowds than a few and we have the best player in the league (IMO).

Think some of us need to be a wee bit more realistic in general and get over thinking that we are bigger and better than everyone else. 

Agree, Duffy did really well for us. We should be applauded for his efforts with us. 

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Give me Duffy any day over this absolute mess.

skysports-danny-lennon-clyde_4751325.jpg

What a stupid post...

On a side note, what a lovely lovely lad that is in your profile picture. I went to school with Guido and youll not find many nicer lads, a lovely family as well he came from. Taken far too early from us and in the most tragic of ways 😢. I was at his funeral and I remember Chapman giving a wonderful speech, the club did themselves proud that day. Seen a picture of Guido recently that was shared by my old school Govan High from when they done Grease the musical and there you have Guido with his trademark smile playing one of the lads (cannae mind what you call them in Grease) 

5 hours ago, sydney said:

It’s worth saying that Ross Lyon did very well today. A player who we saw nothing in when he was signed. Then at the start of the season he suddenly showed he had something about him, only to suffer from injuries. 

Agree with this. Not seen him have a bad game at right back this season. No point using him further forward as we have better players there but happy enough for him and Cuddihy to fight it out for RB for the remainder of the season.

5 hours ago, Clydeontheup said:

Duffy steadied a very unsteady ship at The time when he was Clyde manager and doesn’t get anywhere near the respect or credit for our play off season.

Same with Mcluskey.

having said that , wouldn’t swap any of the two of them for what we have now.

we dominated today and treated today - possibly for the first time - like we were playing a team in the top half of the table. An attitude that has been sadly lacking up until today.

Dumbartom play to their strengths but even their most loyal of fans would admit they take a pragmatic approach.

Budgets will be similar but - biased perhaps- I think we have a better manager and more exciting player’s 

Agree with the Duffy part and although we were a better side with McCluskey in it that year, his attitude was shite. I think that was/is more of our fans problem with him than his ability.

The hatred towards Duffy from some of the Clyde fans is oddball behaviour. Him leaving for bigger and better things has clearly left a sour taste in their mouths. 

Given some of the absolute nonsense gaffers they've had in place over the last 15 years, Duffy must be regarded as one of the only success stories of some of these wee guy's lifetimes.

Duffy is a good manager and at the time I was sorry when he moved on.

I think Clyde needed someone like him at the time to steady the ship after the Stuart Millar debacle.

Although his football instinct is to play it overly safe in my opinion.

As for McCluskey, he performed well the last couple of months out of a two year contract. That's not good enough

I'd have told him to not bother coming back from Sunderland.

No problem with Jim Duffy here. Yes, he was technically the manager in charge when we finished bottom of the Third Division (as it was at the time) but, he had inherited an absolute horror show of a squad and certainly had improved us somewhat. Two 9th place finishes followed which whilst underwhelming, were no-doubt in line with the club’s budget at the time. Very easy to forget how much of a mess we were in at that time. In his final season we reached the playoffs after a pretty solid season where Duffy got the best from jobbers like Sweeney, McCluskey, Scullion etc and we had a couple of talented young players at the time. That team would never have coped in League One though and it was probably a good thing we stayed down. 

Overall, Duffy steadied the ship at a time when things were looking grim. Not perfect but certainly steady enough.

A couple of points before mentioning the game.

Some Clyde fans will abuse anyone who has ever been paid a wage by us with one or two notable exceptions. I don't understand it as all it does is motivate them. There are obviously people who deserve to be wound up but they are in the minority.

Duffy is not someone who merits abuse.

To the game. I thought we played very well, and whilst somethings did not come off, we were trying to play through with passes and for the most part kept patience.

I was critical of our midfield recently but yesterday they played well and dominated and made the opposition look like a poor team.

Separately I would not want to watch that type of football Dumbarton played very often - it was brutal to watch and in no way counts as entertaining.

Well done Clyde.

Totally agree with everything that has been said about Jim Duffy when he was with us.  It is easy to forget just how bad things were then.  He certainly gets my respect for his time with us.

A couple of observations.  David Mitchell is the best keeper we have had since Bryn Halliwell.  He is simply outstanding, and a heck of a nice guy into the bargain.  Second observation would be that that game was crying out for Chris Johnston who should have come on at least at the start of the second half.  Arguably one of our most underrated players.  I would have hooked Chris McStay to make way for him.

Last Saturday, before the Falkirk game, I would have taken 8th place there and then.  My dream was for us to take seven of the nine points from our three home games.  Things look a lot different now.