Clyde vs Dumbarton 2: Electric Boogaloo

Yes, I know it’s the third time we’ve met but you know what I mean.

Dumbarton, not a bad season given half of Scotland had written you off before your first friendly. Not me though, as a first hand witness of #Duffyball for several years, I ken that Sir Jim of Duffy is too experienced a manager for any of that nonsense. No danger of relegation really, very happy for you all.

After a dreadful performance last Tuesday, we’ve only gone and resembled a football team for the last couple of games with the yourselves putting together a nice wee run of results too.

I reckon if we can win on Saturday, we’ll be safe. It’ll tie the head-to-head up beautifully for the season too. Fancy it lads? Nah, didn’t think so.

Ainsley Harriot/Greggy Wallace/Jim Duffy/Danny Lennon memes/GIFs are highly encouraged.

Spoiler
Spoiler

0D0F61D5-04A4-4A42-947F-0C6B9C3A2EE1.jpeg.3785e72fe9f7516a2e2239cb3f7d67ca.jpeg

The question here is, are the Dumbarton squad happy with what they've achieved and now take their foot off the gas or will we give it one last "f**k it" and see if we can get 4th? With East Fife playing Airdrie, one or both of them will drop points, and a win would put us 4 points behind 4th (if one of them loses). I think 4th is a step too far for us now, but we've got f**k all to lose by going for it in the last 9 games.

I'd like to see us line up like this:

Brennan

Wardrop -- McGeever -- Neill -- R. Quitongo

Carswell

J. Quitongo -- McKee -- Forbes -- Crossan

Layne

McCluskey has put in a fair shift this last week, but we get zero end product from him. Jai doesn't really suit the lone striker role so I'd like to see him out wide and running at full backs, especially as Clyde are particularly weak there. The difference Layne makes to our forward options is actually quite frightening, he came on with 20 to go the last two games and the ball immediately holds up in the final third, he's another I'd be offering a deal pronto. 

Another tough game coming up, but we seem to have stepped things up in the same way that Dumbarton have in the last couple of games.

Just need to cut out the silly errors at the back, and as much as I'm a fan of Tom Lang, that's 2 goals he's cost us in the last 2 games. Needs to be less rash at times rather than diving in.

Reckon we will go with the same team again, another win should just about see us safe,

3 hours ago, macclyde+ said:

Another tough game coming up, but we seem to have stepped things up in the same way that Dumbarton have in the last couple of games.

Just need to cut out the silly errors at the back, and as much as I'm a fan of Tom Lang, that's 2 goals he's cost us in the last 2 games. Needs to be less rash at times rather than diving in.

Reckon we will go with the same team again, another win should just about see us safe,

Who'd be a defender?

Yep may have contributed to these two goals but goodness knows how many goals he's snuffed out by winning balls in the air and sound / robust tackling. 

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Who'd be a defender?

Yep may have contributed to these two goals but goodness knows how many goals he's snuffed out by winning balls in the air and sound / robust tackling. 

Nothing wrong with a bit of criticism, as long as it's constructive.

Like I said I am a Lang fan, and he does most things well. 

22 hours ago, macclyde+ said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of criticism, as long as it's constructive.

Like I said I am a Lang fan, and he does most things well. 

I 100% agree with this; I think team is better with Lang in the side Of course it is,  but like Goodie he is not immune from criticism or comment. He does often dive in and he is needlessly at times over aggressive. Parts of his game he needs to improve and learn. 

17 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I 100% agree with this; I think team is better with Lang in the side Of course it is,  but like Goodie he is not immune from criticism or comment. He does often dive in and he is needlessly at times over aggressive. Parts of his game he needs to improve and learn. 

Yip, for someone so composed on the ball he can seem to be a bit rash in the challenge.  But you need defenders who will let the strikers know they are in a match... as long as he is doing it outside the box and not getting sent off! His decision making will only get even better with a decent run of matches under his belt.

This is the kind of game could be more of a test for us than the previous two.  The top 5 sides come out & play to win which leaves space between the lines to play through, and at our best, that's what we do.  If Dumbarton play the same way we've seen before they'll sit in, it'll be attack v defence and they're dangerous on the counter as they've got a fair bit of pace.  That's what happened in November. 

They won't change even if we score early against them as they'll fancy themselves to score, you'd need to score a couple early for that to change.  So they'll look to frustrate us to the point we launch high balls into the box, which is exactly what they want, or shoot from 30 yards into a crowded box.  Our lads will need to show more patience in the final third, move it around on the deck, play with width and look to move their defence about to create the opening.  Could be a long afternoon but a 1-0 home win is 3 points if that's what it takes.

Course now I've said that it'll end up 5 - 5 lol 

On 04/03/2020 at 10:58, The Moonster said:

The question here is, are the Dumbarton squad happy with what they've achieved and now take their foot off the gas or will we give it one last "f**k it" and see if we can get 4th? With East Fife playing Airdrie, one or both of them will drop points, and a win would put us 4 points behind 4th (if one of them loses). I think 4th is a step too far for us now, but we've got f**k all to lose by going for it in the last 9 games.

I'd like to see us line up like this:

Brennan

Wardrop -- McGeever -- Neill -- R. Quitongo

Carswell

J. Quitongo -- McKee -- Forbes -- Crossan

Layne

McCluskey has put in a fair shift this last week, but we get zero end product from him. Jai doesn't really suit the lone striker role so I'd like to see him out wide and running at full backs, especially as Clyde are particularly weak there. The difference Layne makes to our forward options is actually quite frightening, he came on with 20 to go the last two games and the ball immediately holds up in the final third, he's another I'd be offering a deal pronto. 

I think this is what most Sons fans are thinking.I strongly believe the players owe it to the fans and also to themselves to have a right good go  for the final quarter.We have players who have made a name for themselves this season and if they back off now a la Ian Murray(2014-15)  they will be undoing a lot of the good work they have achieved this season.Rico and Neill  have really come onthis season.I would argue that McGeever is having his finest season personally  in senior football.One might argue the same for Mckee who has been brilliant for the most part.Isaac Layne despite the injuries has also had a great season scoring more than in any other i believe.Hutton is having nhis best season for many a long while while Jai and Sam  and arguably PJ Crossan too have a lot still to prove.To an extent they are trying to rebuild their careers.Even Langan and Crawford have improved IMO this season.Lewis most of all with his last 2 showings.

All in all this shouldnt just be chucked away with ´ach, we ´ve done enough´.It should be built upon and it would behoove Jim Duffy to tie some of these guys down for next season if we are serious about having longer term ambitions.But equally they owe it to us the fans who turn out in all kinds of weather to give our support and pay our hard earned cash.We want to go out with a roar and not a whimper, regardless if we make it or not.We may not be many but we are committed  and that surely warrants  the players having a positive attitude going into the business end of the season.

34 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

.I would argue that McGeever is having his finest season personally  in senior football.

Big McGeever building himself up a head of steam and launching himself at corners like a 16 stone salmon is truly a magnificent sight to behold.

52 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I think this is what most Sons fans are thinking.I strongly believe the players owe it to the fans and also to themselves to have a right good go  for the final quarter.We have players who have made a name for themselves this season and if they back off now a la Ian Murray(2014-15)  they will be undoing a lot of the good work they have achieved this season.Rico and Neill  have really come onthis season.I would argue that McGeever is having his finest season personally  in senior football.One might argue the same for Mckee who has been brilliant for the most part.Isaac Layne despite the injuries has also had a great season scoring more than in any other i believe.Hutton is having nhis best season for many a long while while Jai and Sam  and arguably PJ Crossan too have a lot still to prove.To an extent they are trying to rebuild their careers.Even Langan and Crawford have improved IMO this season.Lewis most of all with his last 2 showings.

All in all this shouldnt just be chucked away with ´ach, we ´ve done enough´.It should be built upon and it would behoove Jim Duffy to tie some of these guys down for next season if we are serious about having longer term ambitions.But equally they owe it to us the fans who turn out in all kinds of weather to give our support and pay our hard earned cash.We want to go out with a roar and not a whimper, regardless if we make it or not.We may not be many but we are committed  and that surely warrants  the players having a positive attitude going into the business end of the season.

They should do like you just did, and pull out all the stops 😉

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Kyle Hutton the only one out for us it seems.

From the first 2 meetings between the sides this season (wasn't at the game last midweek) I thought Hutton was superb in your 2-1 win at Broadwood while the game we won it looked like you lot missed his presence in the middle of the park. Obviously that's the only 2 times I've seen him this season so no idea how he's performed over the course :lol:

As I said on the Montrose pre-match, no real need to change anything unless anyone's jaded from the schedule. Only thing I'd consider is Johnston for Love as he is probably more likely to unlock a side that sit back more, but then again that could be more useful off the bench later if we're needing a goal.

Edited by C. Muir

59 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

From the first 2 meetings between the sides this season (wasn't at the game last midweek) I thought Hutton was superb in your 2-1 win at Broadwood while the game we won it looked like you lot missed his presence in the middle of the park. Obviously that's the only 2 times I've seen him this season so no idea how he's performed over the course :lol:

As I said on the Montrose pre-match, no real need to change anything unless anyone's jaded from the schedule. Only thing I'd consider is Johnston for Love as he is probably more likely to unlock a side that sit back more, but then again that could be more useful off the bench later if we're needing a goal.

Aye, Huttons been key for us this year, but against Forfar the other night Forbes, Carswell and McKee ran the show comfortably, so hopefully they can continue that.