Ayr/Dundee vs Dundee/Ayr - The Double Header

In recent weeks we've beaten Inverness, Ross County, lost by the odd goal to an in form Premier league St Johnstone and had a really good display and result at Alloa. Yes, in among that lot we had a very poor performance and result against Morton and a mediocre performance and result at Firhill but let's not get all "old firm fans" here.

I'd also say we were every bit as good as both Dundee sides in the last week so I honestly can't understand why anyone is angered or disappointed by our "recent" performances or results.

We can also talk down the quality of the league as much as we want, but the reality is that on budget and club size the standard we need to aim for to compete at the top is ultimately the Dundee sides and irrespective of whether we're always playing fantasy football or not, the team is indeed continuing to compete and continuing to pick up points, honestly, what the hell do some expect from our club ??

I think yesterday is a good point but we need to be avoiding defeat on Tuesday night otherwise it looks like a pretty poor point.

We didn’t play well although I think Kerr knows this and has set us up in a way to be a bit tighter and harder to beat. I’ve no issue with that tbh as we can’t play any sort of decent passing game on our pitch and we’re looking ok defensively. Despite all that we should’ve won yesterday so we’re still creating chances to go and score from.

These are exactly the games we implode playing. A wee bit of hope creeps in only for the DB’s to give you a right hard kick in the bollocks. I’m going for a creditable 0-0 today and a 0-1 defeat at Dens.

I’m halfway there.

8 hours ago, WATTOO said:

In recent weeks we've beaten Inverness, Ross County, lost by the odd goal to an in form Premier league St Johnstone and had a really good display and result at Alloa. Yes, in among that lot we had a very poor performance and result against Morton and a mediocre performance and result at Firhill but let's not get all "old firm fans" here.

I'd also say we were every bit as good as both Dundee sides in the last week so I honestly can't understand why anyone is angered or disappointed by our "recent" performances or results.

We can also talk down the quality of the league as much as we want, but the reality is that on budget and club size the standard we need to aim for to compete at the top is ultimately the Dundee sides and irrespective of whether we're always playing fantasy football or not, the team is indeed continuing to compete and continuing to pick up points, honestly, what the hell do some expect from our club ??

Very sensible post. Some people need a reality check.

Would hope tomorrow night with the bigger pitch and hopefully a better surface we might try and get it down on the deck and pass the ball about a bit better. Wasn't much wrong with the team on Saturday tbh but would make a few tweaks:

Doohan 

Houston Bell Roscoe Harvie 

Muirhead Docherty 

Moffatt Kelly Malley 

Drinan

That gives us a pretty decent balance between defence and attack and i hope we go up and have a right good go to get three points cause imo another draw is pretty useless. 

Edited by rb123!

9 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Hazard

Elliot Forster McGhee Berra Field

Byrne Dorrans

McDaid    Hemmings  Crankshaw 

The team I'd like to see. Cut out McGowans slow play and Cammy Kerrs years of pish. 

Thank you.

Its amazing how different peoples opinions on the game could be, that team would get absolutely ripped apart in midfield, it would be a monumental mauling of epic proportions, even McCann and McIntyre would look at that and think, nah maybe thats no use.

Hazard
     Meekings     Forster       Berra
Elliott     Dorrans     Byrne     McDaid
                       McGowan
   Hemmings          Crankshaw/Nelson

49 minutes ago, srw said:

Its amazing how different peoples opinions on the game could be, that team would get absolutely ripped apart in midfield, it would be a monumental mauling of epic proportions, even McCann and McIntyre would look at that and think, nah maybe thats no use.

Explain,please.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Would hope tomorrow night with the bigger pitch and hopefully a better surface we might try and get it down on the deck and pass the ball about a bit better. Wasn't much wrong with the team on Saturday tbh but would make a few tweaks:

Doohan 

Houston Bell Roscoe Harvie 

Muirhead Docherty 

Moffatt Kelly Malley 

Drinan

That gives us a pretty decent balance between defence and attack and i hope we go up and have a right good go to get three points cause imo another draw is pretty useless. 

I'd like to see McCowan in the team, possibly ahead of Moff (assuming Forrest is injured / struggling). Although he's been a bit out of form recently he's fresh, full of energy and we know he's got all the attributes to be a top player.

That would still leave us with Kerr, Moff, Tiffoney & Gillespie on the bench should they be required for the second half.

When you think that we've still got Moore, Murdoch & Geggan to come back, it just shows how strong our squad is nowadays and is a million miles away from the dross (with a few notable exceptions) we were stuck with only a few seasons back.

53 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Hazard
     Meekings     Forster       Berra
Elliott     Dorrans     Byrne     McDaid
                       McGowan
   Hemmings          Crankshaw/Nelson

It's mad how our PotY so far can't make it into the team.

Wouldn't be averse to McGhee playing in midfield again (That's if he's not injured). We created plenty of chances last Tuesday with him in the team and we can make the more attacking change later on in the game.

2 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Explain,please.

Thank you.

Playing wingbacks, and wingers doesn't work, its incredibly unbalanced and would be a disaster.

Playing a 523 formation that you recommend wouldn't work.

Playing Byrne and Dorrans in midfield would be a terrible idea, and allow Ayr to dominate possession and give them a free run.

I cant think of any team that would line up like that.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's mad how our PotY so far can't make it into the team.

Wouldn't be averse to McGhee playing in midfield again (That's if he's not injured). We created plenty of chances last Tuesday with him in the team and we can make the more attacking change later on in the game.

Tbf I am assuming he is.

13 minutes ago, srw said:

Playing wingbacks, and wingers doesn't work, its incredibly unbalanced and would be a disaster.

Playing a 523 formation that you recommend wouldn't work.

Playing Byrne and Dorrans in midfield would be a terrible idea, and allow Ayr to dominate possession and give them a free run.

I cant think of any team that would line up like that.

Nobody would be playing as wingers. I'd have McDaid and Crankshaw narrower and allowed to roam slightly between the areas close to hemmings, whilst linking up with Dorrans who was brought in to find the right passes to create attacks (McPakes words). 

What central midfielders do Ayr possess that will allow them to outpass and run all over Dorrans and Byrne? Maybe my knowledge is lacking.

If we had a coach that knew what he was doing McGhee would beable to step out and allow Dorrans to push up further at times.  McGhee could even mark one of the runners from midfield which would allow Berra and Forster to deal with the striker.

The formation could work easily but McPake doesnt have the nouse to pull it off.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

27 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Nobody would be playing as wingers. I'd have McDaid and Crankshaw narrower and allowed to roam slightly between the areas close to hemmings, whilst linking up with Dorrans who was brought in to find the right passes to create attacks (McPakes words). 

What central midfielders do Ayr possess that will allow them to outpass and run all over Dorrans and Byrne? Maybe my knowledge is lacking.

If we had a coach that knew what he was doing McGhee would beable to step out and allow Dorrans to push up further at times.  McGhee could even mark one of the runners from midfield which would allow Berra and Forster to deal with the striker.

The formation could work easily but McPake doesnt have the nouse to pull it off.

Thank you.

A hell of a lot of dreaming, wishing and frankly downright nonsense in that post.

This is real life, not Football Manager with the editor being utilised.

14 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

What central midfielders do Ayr possess that will allow them to outpass and run all over Iniesta and Xavi? Maybe my knowledge is lacking.

Thank you.

FTFY

Edited by BukyOHare

47 minutes ago, srw said:

A hell of a lot of dreaming, wishing and frankly downright nonsense in that post.

This is real life, not Football Manager with the editor being utilised.

It's called tactics, which any well run club would beable to pull off. One of the back three moving forward during play. Quite amazing isn't it. Theres not a single complicated piece to my words.

I accept we're not a well run club and our professionalism is amateur.

I'd also suggest its beyond the limits of the average Dundee fan. 'Kamara's shite, McGowan is twice the footballer', 'Kerr gives it his all' etc etc.

I'm not a gamer so your Football Manager comments indicate you're one of the fans who wouldnt know football if it hits them in the face. Incidentally it hits you in the pus at Dens Park and you're clueless.

It is what it is.

Thank you.