Ayr/Dundee vs Dundee/Ayr - The Double Header

Mark Kerr's post-match comments on the BBC:

"I'm not sure if Moffat was offside because the boys said they thought the ball was cut back. We did more than enough to win the game."

The ball being cut back doesn't in itself mean a player isn't offside.

15 minutes ago, Dele said:

I thought you couldn't be offside if the pass was played backwards? 

If you're ahead of the ball and in an offside position when the pass is made, it doesn't matter what direction the ball goes in.

It's the scenario in which Wolves had a goal disallowed against Leicester a few weeks ago - the ball was played backwards, but the receiver had run (back) past the passer from an offside position. 

It's one of those complicated and rare scenarios that gets lost in the "you can't be offside if the ball goes backwards" simplification (which, to be fair, does hold 99% of the time). 

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

So far... Hazard leads.

He's played for the bigger club and has a national team cap but hasn't the best reputation with the clubs he's been on loan at.

Doohan is smaller, but has probably had the best reputation out of young keepers playing their trade in the Scottish divisions since he joined Ayr, but equally, has made a few clangers this season.

13 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Not Berra's greatest hits in the highlights today. Hazard also completely at fault for the penalty 

Nah, not having that. Kerr reads the flight of the ball, takes a step back from taking it on whilst under no pressure (he can quickly turn defence into attack) and then takes far too long to react as the situation changes. That's three basics he's performed exceptionally poorly in a 10 second segment. 

He should be on that park showing initiative and a desire to prove he deserves a starting slot. Instead he's dilly dallying and afraid to take control. 

He needs emptied. 

Bit frustrated today... felt we did enough to edge that. Also frustratingly, that's three games with Dundee without much in them and we only have 1 point to show for it.
Plus points -
Moffat was a lot more productive today; Harvie had a good day with some decent crosses; Drinan had some good hold up play and Roscoe was a rock.
Negatives -
Kelly is still far too deep to have enough infleunce on the game; the long balls to Drinan are becoming a bit too predictable; Forrest looks injured and Tiffoney is all arms and legs and never seems to have the ball under control for me.
Was Moff's goal actually offside? Why did McCowan not even feature today? 
I think playing Aero in midfield makes us more robust but seems to blunt us going forward.

Moff's header in the first half was powder puff and there was no need for him to be offside at the goal. He still seems out of sorts. When Harvie went down at the beginning of the second half I thought he'd broken something in his arm the way he was clutching it. I'd like to see Kelly or Malley playing further forward on Tuesday,prob Malley out the two. He can put himself about a bit and he looked dangerous round their box

Dundee’s #5 clearly encroaches at the penalty. Retake would have been the fair resolution. 

Don’t think we can be too disappointed with a point. Gets us to 40 and keeps us ahead of the midtable pack.

Yeah Moff definitely offside. Penalty was well struck and a decent save. Other than that doesn’t look like there was much between 2 sides.

Really does emphasise how far we’ve come when we’re disappointed with that result.

2 minutes ago, Dele said:

Nah, not having that. Kerr reads the flight of the ball, takes a step back from taking it on whilst under no pressure (he can quickly turn defence into attack) and then takes far too long to react as the situation changes. That's three basics he's performed exceptionally poorly in a 10 second segment. 

If you watch it, you can clearly see that Kerr is in control of the situation right up until Hazard shouts for him to leave it. He then slows up, and before he can react to Hazard's change of tack Moffat is coming alongside him. I'll accept that Hazard being 'completely at fault' probably isn't actually the case, but Kerr looked to be in control until that moment. Meekings clearly thinks this too considering the bollocking he gives Hazard. He never should have tried to grab that ball, being as far away from it as he was. The expectation was that he should've been closer to the ball than he actually was.

Personally I too would've had Elliott starting over Kerr today. He should've overridden Hazard's shout... but it is Hazard's box, and it was Hazard's misjudgment that led to Cammy's delayed clearance attempt which led to the pen. Hazard felt confident enough to shout for Cammy to leave it while he was focused entirely on the ball, and therefore he caused the situation to unravel.

As I said though, hope Elliott takes back the position on Tuesday.