Race for the top half...

Is it ridiculous to start this thread?

Untitled.png.7bb86256f0b3620aa804e2025d520b28.png

Only 6 points seperate 5th and 8th. 8th having two games in hand over 6th, and only 5 points behind. Hibernians loss tonight leaves the window ajar.

Untitled.png.1d0b51733cce13a3df1edb77b81206a1.png

Tomorrows fixtures. Kilmarnock and St Johnstone wins could narrow their gap to 6th down to 2 points.

Remaining Games

Livingston 38pts - Celtic (H), St Johnstone (A), Hearts (H), Aberdeen (H), Kilmarnock (A)

Hibernian 37pts - Aberdeen (A), St Johnstone (H), Hamilton (A), Celtic (H)

Kilmarnock 32pts - Aberdeen (H), Hamilton (A), St Mirren (H), Motherwell (A), Livingston (H)

St Johnstone 32pts - St Mirren (A), Livingston (H), Hibernian (A), Celtic (A), Hamilton (H) - Rangers (A)

Livingston seem pretty certain to make it, unless they completely collapse. The other three could go either way, Kilmarnock arguably have the easiest run in of the three. St Johnstones double header v Livingston then Hibernian could prove decisive for all.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I’m not sure. I really don’t see us as any more certain than Hibs. I feel we could lose all our remaining games pre-split. There’s really not a lot it it. Also surprising that the 3rd place team has lost 44% of their games. Not a lot between 3rd and 8th on the day it seems and we’ve dropped points to lower, too. Flip a coin!

I wouldn't count Livingston in just yet - they've got a pretty tough run of games coming up, and obviously that one at Rugby Park being the final game before the split means they need to be at least 3 points ahead of us to be sure of it.

This is previous totals for 6th by the split, since the league reform in 13/14...

2013/14 - 48

2014/15 - 44

2015/16 - 43

2016/17 - 41

2017/18 - 46

2018/19 - 50

So on average you need around 45 points to secure the top half.

Is it ridiculous to start this thread?

Untitled.png.7bb86256f0b3620aa804e2025d520b28.png

Only 6 points seperate 5th and 8th. 8th having two games in hand over 6th, and only 5 points behind. Hibernians loss tonight leaves the window ajar.

Untitled.png.1d0b51733cce13a3df1edb77b81206a1.png

Tomorrows fixtures. Kilmarnock and St Johnstone wins could narrow their gap to 6th down to 2 points.

Remaining Games
Livingston 38pts - Celtic (H), St Johnstone (A), Hearts (H), Aberdeen (H), Kilmarnock (A)
Hibernian 37pts - Aberdeen (A), St Johnstone (H), Hamilton (A), Celtic (H)
Kilmarnock 32pts - Aberdeen (H), Hamilton (A), St Mirren (H), Motherwell (A), Livingston (H)
St Johnstone 32pts - St Mirren (A), Livingston (H), Hibernian (A), Celtic (A), Hamilton (A) - Rangers (A)

Saints are at home to Hamilton.

Next two games are crucial for saints and killie. If both sides were to win those games it certainly sets up a race. From a saints point of view, 4 wins probably guarantees it, less than that need a bit of luck.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I wouldn't count Livingston in just yet - they've got a pretty tough run of games coming up, and obviously that one at Rugby Park being the final game before the split means they need to be at least 3 points ahead of us to be sure of it.

Their home form is so strong its hard to envisage them going through 3 of them without picking up at least one win. Agree with @ali_91 and his 42-44 projection, which means they'd just need 4 points from those games. 

Second glance it is a harder run in than I initially realised, tbh, but I just can't see past the home form.

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Just can't see where we will get the consistency from to get enough results before that final game against Livingston.   We are a good goalkeeper away from being a top 6 team this year.

Your run of Hamilton -> St Mirren -> Motherwell looks like 9 points based on current form, tbf. Goal difference could end up playing a part.

10 hours ago, ali_91 said:

but great to even be talking about this

Given where we were at the beginning of the season and the way we were talking not all that long ago, I wholeheartedly agree :) 

I think we'll be there or thereabouts. We're an entirely different proposition for opposing teams compared to the start of the season. 

If we beat both Hibs and Livi, then we at least make it interesting. Frankly I’m just happy people are now talking about the table up the way and not looking behind us. Given where we were 4 months ago, to be where we are is a fantastic effort from the team. The really annoying thing is, that all the teams above us are stuttering and a little crap tbh (as are we I’ll admit). Had we showed what we could do in those first 12/13 games this season, you’d be touting us for a European place which is madness!

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Their home form is so strong its hard to envisage them going through 3 of them without picking up at least one win. Agree with @ali_91 and his 42-44 projection, which means they'd just need 4 points from those games. 

Second glance it is a harder run in than I initially realised, tbh, but I just can't see past the home form.

Yep I think a win and a draw would prob do it for us (esp if the draw was against St Johnstone), would be great if we could get more than that and push for a top 4 spot though.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Our 4 points dropped to last minute goals to County and Hearts when in control have fucked us.

We've dropped about 8 points like that, St Johnstone away (Hibs away, Hearts away, St Mirren away), or we'd be comfortably in the top 6 and even sitting 3rd, dare say every team will be the same when looking back at games they should've won though.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Neither Aberdeen nor Motherwell are over 44 points and could both very conceivably lose every game, except the game against each other.  Seems unlikely but it's possible. 

51 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Neither Aberdeen nor Motherwell are over 44 points and could both very conceivably lose every game, except the game against each other.  Seems unlikely but it's possible. 

Hope so.:thumsup2

You two should've had 3rd & 4th place sewn up by now, crazy that it has opened up for us to have a shot at a top 4 spot, it has been a real rollercoaster of a season for a lot of teams.

Killie dropping like a stone out of the top 6 was a surprise too, makes you scared to get your hopes up, the way things have went, the minute it looks like your team is comfortable, they go and f**k it up.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Hope so.:thumsup2

You two should've had 3rd & 4th place sewn up by now, crazy that it has opened up for us to have a shot at a top 4 spot, it has been a real rollercoaster of a season for a lot of teams.

Killie dropping like a stone out of the top 6 was a surprise too, makes you scared to get your hopes up, the way things have went the minute it looks like your team is comfortable, they go a f**k it up.

FAO: the fermers

Screenshot_20200304-213902_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3a138f9fe882a6bef7d2fd7027ffc54f.jpg

Kilmarnock 2-0 up against Aberdeen, and Livingston leading late against Celtic, and it all looks different. Both only pick up a point, the same as 10 man St Johnstone earn away to St Mirren. Hibernian massively let off the hook.

Screenshot_20200304-213935_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e143319856f9ff971e95dcfdd3ea1683.jpg

Nothing changes apart from Hibs losing a point to all around them...

Screenshot_20200304-214326_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ffc4421f99d16ac7b15e83d6d9b3c11b.jpg

St Johnstone v Livingston the big match. Kilmarnock and Hibs should both fancy picking up points.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20200304-213902_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3a138f9fe882a6bef7d2fd7027ffc54f.jpg

Kilmarnock 2-0 up against Aberdeen, and Livingston leading late against Celtic, and it all looks different. Both only pick up a point, the same as 10 man St Johnstone earn away to St Mirren. Hibernian massively let off the hook.

Screenshot_20200304-213935_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e143319856f9ff971e95dcfdd3ea1683.jpg

Nothing changes apart from Hibs losing a point to all around them...

Screenshot_20200304-214326_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ffc4421f99d16ac7b15e83d6d9b3c11b.jpg

St Johnstone v Livingston the big match. Kilmarnock and Hibs should both fancy picking up points.

Hibs just got skelped at home by bottom of the league so I wouldn’t fancy them against anyone, never mind Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

What a great effort from Livi to be in pole position for Top Six; hope they make it.

Are Aberdeen and Motherwell confirmed Top Six? Or just near enough to be a certainty?