Airdrieonians v East Fife

In with a shout here, the Black strips have been binned!!![emoji1303]

It’s good to know the Club listens!!!

Airdrieonians 1-0 East Fife
Carrick - Penalty (17mins)
Good save from Long unlucky with the rebound!!!
Don’t know what the penalty was for as I was watching the ball leaving the box!!!

HT

Not much between the sides to be honest, the play is pretty much from end to end, although we are playing our way up the park whereas Airdrie are fond of a punt!!!

Can feel hard done by about being behind to a penalty, but I didn’t see it so will reserve judgment as to how hard done by I feel!!!

Ended the half on top, still plenty to go for in the 2nd half and Wedderburn is still a lumbering carthorse of a player!!!

IMG_1234.jpg

HT
Not much between the sides to be honest, the play is pretty much from end to end, although we are playing our way up the park whereas Airdrie are fond of a punt!!!
Can feel hard done by about being behind to a penalty, but I didn’t see it so will reserve judgment as to how hard done by I feel!!!
Ended the half on top, still plenty to go for in the 2nd half and Wedderburn is still a lumbering carthorse of a player!!!
IMG_1234.thumb.jpg.3b6a77d49083a1d47fd8d1ffbf182f5e.jpg

Honestly have to say our FB’s have been out of sorts the past few weeks!- Wallace also way too slow- need big Kev on!

Disappointing especially after a 2nd half that we dominated.

Poor finishing and some really poor final balls - I counted 6 that were overhit - meant we didn't really come close to scoring.

Didn't have a clear view of the penalty so won't comment.

Need to nail Montrose next Sat, especially if they win on Tuesday.

Still in the mix for playoffs though.

Edited by faither
Spelling

A welcome 3 points but not a great game by any stretch of the imagination. First half was pretty end to end and after going in front from the penalty lost a bit of urgency, Smith having a decent effort tipped over the bar, and an EF player making space for a shot in the box well tipped round by Gallagher but apart from that, fairly even.

We sat back in the second half but EF were fairly toothless and never really troubled the net, and even the free kick near the end I was expecting Agnew to at least register something but Wallace stepped up and made an arse of it.

The amount of times EF tried that through ball down their right hand side and just hit it out of play for a goal kick was staggering and for the amount of second half possession they had, never really done much with it.

Fairly comfortable in the end but I'm glad we don't have to play them again this season as theyre one of they teams you never know what ones turning up.

FT

Very disappointing, for all our possession we created very little, the final ball letting us down every single time!!!

Very little between the Teams so it’s a sore one to lose on a penalty, the veracity of which I’ll have to wait until I see it, Carrick is a clever player though fouls a lot and gets away with it and draws a lot of fouls getting opposition players booked, the sort of thing that Wallace does but hasn’t for a while!!!

Thought our wide players were well of the pace and were both quite rightly hooked, Dunsy looked good when he came on but I though Watt’s lack of game time recently showed!!!

Can anyone tell me what exactly Davidson did to warrant a yellow and a red, was it for pulling the guy back, if so how did Wedderburn get away scottfree with exactly the same offence at the start of the second half???

Anyway, absolutely nothing between the sides, as has been shown all season, and we certainly didn’t deserve to lose today and to do as so as we did to a penalty is particularly galling especially camped out in the opposition’s half as we were for nearly all the second half but we’ve nobody to blame but ourselves, there’s no point having all that possession but not creating any opportunities with it and we paid for that today!!!IMG_1235.jpg

1 hour ago, King Kebab said:

HT

IMG_1234.jpg

Wedderburn may well be a lumbering Carthorse of a player,  but,he certainly bossed your lot this afternoon though, broke up play and played a simple pass to a teammate, what more do you want from a defensive midfield player......  East Fife all fur coat and nae knickers...

I have to admit we stole the points today.  East fife played the better football and if they got a goal we would probably have caved.  Decent save from their goalie just unlucky with the rebound.  The guy who was one on one with the keeper should have scored too.  We really didn't help ourselves. Poor passing, struggling to hold the ball upfront, defending deeper and deeper.  Innes Murray had a shocker when he came on but should have been moved wide when Roberts came on.   A really important win but if we sit back and teams have the ball like today we will struggle every game.   Will take the win but cant say it was deserved.  As long as the points keep coming is the most important thing though

6 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

I have to admit we stole the points today.  East fife played the better football and if they got a goal we would probably have caved.  Decent save from their goalie just unlucky with the rebound.  The guy who was one on one with the keeper should have scored too.  We really didn't help ourselves. Poor passing, struggling to hold the ball upfront, defending deeper and deeper.  Innes Murray had a shocker when he came on but should have been moved wide when Roberts came on.   A really important win but if we sit back and teams have the ball like today we will struggle every game.   Will take the win but cant say it was deserved.  As long as the points keep coming is the most important thing though

If we score first we'll be fine. When we sit in a shape any team will struggle to break us down. That's now 5 clean sheets in 7 games and we have lost less than a goal a game all season. Equally, if we lose the first goal we are cooked, just like last week, as we have absolutely no creativity or guile going forward. It's difficult to see that changing in the next 8 games so we just need to ensure we continue to get clean sheets and hope we can steal a few goals.

While I agree a draw might have been a fair result, I'd disagree we "stole the points".
Everyone knows I'm the eternal pessimist on here, and I'd agree we "stole" them if Gallagher had an outstanding game and EF pounded the goal. Neither of that happened, we defended pretty resolutely against a toothless attack, the keeper made 1 decent save in the first half and apart from that weren't really threatened for being as camped in our half.
Creighton and Kerr will hardly have an easier afternoon than that mopping up aimless balls.

6 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

While I agree a draw might have been a fair result, I'd disagree we "stole the points".
Everyone knows I'm the eternal pessimist on here, and I'd agree we "stole" them if Gallagher had an outstanding game and EF pounded the goal. Neither of that happened, we defended pretty resolutely against a toothless attack, the keeper made 1 decent save in the first half and apart from that weren't really threatened for being as camped in our half.
Creighton and Kerr will hardly have an easier afternoon than that mopping up aimless balls.

Win is a win saying that was very dull. Having a convo between us none of our kids there as few regulars stopped going. 

I did predict the early penalty and DY going mental and the actual score ( BUT not in the real prediction league!) . This all seemed to see EF players constantly moaning all through the game so a win was a delight. As to whether we were the better passing team there is no debate, but EF often overdid and went for the magic pass too often. Agnew did have two really good chances and had that equaliser come then who knows what would have developed. I was about to berate McKay for a poor cross after the corner but it did look as if the EF defender was holding an Airdrie player ( I don't know who). The wee Ref often has a penchant for being seen but he was clearly in a good position. Good initial save by Long but Carrick gets another goal-who would have thought he could have done that at Montrose? Our one really good move by McKay will have me looking at the highlights but I don' t think he dived, just mishit his attempt. Long had one good save and so did Gallagher. I was kinda desperate for the final whistle as EF passed up a variety of moves. The last second Red was because Davidson deliberately pulled back a counter attacker-tough luck but thems the rules. Good win for us against a good footballing team-now for Forfar.  What kind of 4-4-2 will  we play next week ?

Thought a draw would of been a fair result- many twists and turns ahead- both those teams will drop points in the run in....

No idea about the penalty but the Ref had no doubt!

Other than the penalty felt we had no threat from the home team,but mind you other than Aggies big chance( probably Waldo) in the second half we created little also.

We have a big game next week against the form team in the league.

With the sending off we are even weaker in the weakest part of the team. We need Dunsmore back in and probably need to Murdoch in midfield( when he is off form)

The lack of creativity from our midfield has haunted us all season and at the business end of season I fear will cost us- today the aimless high balls was a joke.

But hey onwards and forwards....

We didn't help ourselves sitting deeper and deeper as the 2nd half went on but East Fife' s final ball was poor. Nothing in it, but emphasises how important getting the first goal in for this team.

As an aside, I have never seen so many blokes in a fitbae toilet washing their hands. There was a queue to the sinks - first time for everything!

Thought a draw would of been a fair result- many twists and turns ahead- both those teams will drop points in the run in....

No idea about the penalty but the Ref had no doubt!

Other than the penalty felt we had no threat from the home team,but mind you other than Aggies big chance( probably Waldo) in the second half we created little also.

We have a big game next week against the form team in the league.

With the sending off we are even weaker in the weakest part of the team. We need Dunsmore back in and probably need to Murdoch in midfield( when he is off form)

The lack of creativity from our midfield has haunted us all season and at the business end of season I fear will cost us- today the aimless high balls was a joke.

But hey onwards and forwards....

Can't really disagree with any of that.
We seem fairly content to let teams have the lions share of the ball, it suits us and the defence has by and large been ok.

On another note, Callum Fordyce is a bit of an unsung hero this year. He's been arguably our best and most consistent signing, very rarely looks troubled and is always fairly calm. He's been shunted about to accommodate Kerr and crighton coming back and just gets on with it, a real team player.