Airdrieonians v East Fife

This is obviously the Game of the Day on Saturday, a massive game for both sides, both needing a victory in order to keep any lingering hopes of a Title challenge alive!!!

There really hasn’t been anything between the sides this season, we humped them, they jumped us and a 2-2 draw (which we should have won, but I’m biased), I can see this being a pretty cagey affair with both sides wanting to win but desperately not wanting to lose, unless an early goal gets knocked in and then anything can happen!!!

We’re on a good run at the moment and got ourselves back in the frame, so you would like to think that that will continue, we’ve no injury worries (apart from Taco) and our spine now seems to be hitting good form, Dunlop and Higgins were excellent at the back on Saturday, Aggy is turning it on again and Big Tonks up front is finally injury free and has looked a real threat in recent weeks which is just as well as the next three weeks will define and sort our Season (Airdrie, Montrose and Raith) I would hope that we are looking at nothing less than 9 points from that run and then we would be laughing, but wouldn’t be surprised if this is another 2-2 again!!!

A big game that, going by the previous three this season, should at the least be eventful. 

East Fife seem to have been on a solid run of late whilst we have been hit and miss, three unbeaten (two wins and a draw at Dumbarton) before a pretty blunt performance in defeat at Montrose. 

I'd take a repeat of the last home fixture, that's for sure. Probably our most complete performance of the season. 

That’s a brutal stretch of games, against three of the top five. Of the lot, Airdrie seem slightly off form recently, so this will be an interesting result to see.

Telling me- 3 tough games.

I worry about Airdrie’s pace of attack particularly down the flanks( although Murray seems to change the team a lot)

Worry about Montrose in midfield- they are very strong there and we haven’t got it right yet

And of course always worry about the Derby- both teams can beat each other.

Our CB’s have been excellent past 2 weeks( no silly mistakes)- we also have pace in attack.

All 3 games every team can/ have beat each other.

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That’s a brutal stretch of games, against three of the top five. Of the lot, Airdrie seem slightly off form recently, so this will be an interesting result to see.

Yep. On the other side of that, five of our last six games are against sides in the bottom half of the table.

If we can hang on to our place in the top 4 by the end of that Raith game, we really will be in a very good position to get a play off place. By that time, Montrose will have played both their games in hand and both them and Airdrie have a much softer run of fixtures over that period with their only games against top 5 sides being their fixtures against us.

In isolation, draws in any of the next three games will be decent results and should be enough for a play off place if we can go on and put away the bottom sides in the final run of games but I think we really need to be targeting at least 5 points from the next three and really need to avoid defeats to Airdrie and Montrose in particular.

Big test ahead.

Battle of JOINT THIRD in the league looks tasty for either manager, I'm hoping we can continue to win as many games left to make the play offs in my eyes while were still in the mix to look up. In August at home we won 4-1 then in Lanarkshire we lost 4-0 to a draw in January so at the moment 1 win each and 1 draw each between the teams, though Callum Gallagher loves scoring against east fife since the Dumbarton days so we need keep him quiet more than Andy Ryan.

but yes this is the 1st of the 4 tough games coming up and if we want to be in the mix we need to beat those around us as well as defeating teams like Forfar and Stranraer. I really hope we catch Ian Murray's team on a cold run since we have caught up with the Diamonds so a win would do nicely please!

lets get ready to rumble GIF

Edited by Cambuslang Fifer

A win here would be just lovely, but it ain't going to be easy. I don't think we were too great on Saturday, but hopefully we can pick up a bit of momentum from the result. I'd suspect DY might go with the same team again, maybe Dunsmore back in who's been very unlucky to lose his place (I am suspicious we've been given Morrison on the guarantee that we'll actually play him!). Hopefully Wallace and Tonks can combine a bit better as I thought they were always half a second late with the pass at Station Park. I'm in Paris for work this weekend, so it'll be EFTV for me if I get to my hotel on time!

14 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

A win here would be just lovely, but it ain't going to be easy. I don't think we were too great on Saturday, but hopefully we can pick up a bit of momentum from the result. I'd suspect DY might go with the same team again, maybe Dunsmore back in who's been very unlucky to lose his place (I am suspicious we've been given Morrison on the guarantee that we'll actually play him!). Hopefully Wallace and Tonks can combine a bit better as I thought they were always half a second late with the pass at Station Park. I'm in Paris for work this weekend, so it'll be EFTV for me if I get to my hotel on time!

Agree with pretty much all of that. Only take exception to Dunsmore being dropped to the bench (deservedly so, in my opinion). He has looked disinterested recently and off the pace (maybe fatigue?). Meanwhile Morrison has come in and brought to the team something we haven't seen in an EF squad for quite some time now. He is unbelievably rapid and a real pain threat for any opposition to deal with, and he actually gets himself back into a defensive position whenever necessary. Would go with the same squad that played at the weekend against Forfar but we will have to play a lot better than we did. 
We did well defensively but there were still one or two moments when Higgins and Dunlop got themselves in a bit of tangle at the back that could have led to couple of more daft, gifted goals. On another day against better opposition it would have been costly. If we can tighten up a little bit more at the back and be more present and in-your-face in the midfield then we have a good chance of winning this weekend.  

But we have to go into the next 3 games one at a time. Would be delighted with anything more than 5 points out of 9 to be honest. 

37 minutes ago, monthefife said:

Agree with pretty much all of that. Only take exception to Dunsmore being dropped to the bench (deservedly so, in my opinion). He has looked disinterested recently and off the pace (maybe fatigue?). Meanwhile Morrison has come in and brought to the team something we haven't seen in an EF squad for quite some time now. He is unbelievably rapid and a real pain threat for any opposition to deal with, and he actually gets himself back into a defensive position whenever necessary. Would go with the same squad that played at the weekend against Forfar but we will have to play a lot better than we did. 
We did well defensively but there were still one or two moments when Higgins and Dunlop got themselves in a bit of tangle at the back that could have led to couple of more daft, gifted goals. On another day against better opposition it would have been costly. If we can tighten up a little bit more at the back and be more present and in-your-face in the midfield then we have a good chance of winning this weekend.  

But we have to go into the next 3 games one at a time. Would be delighted with anything more than 5 points out of 9 to be honest. 

Aye by no means a criticism of Morrison who I think has been a good addition and played well so far, though did tire quite quickly in the second half vs Falkirk. Understandable given he's not been playing first team. I wonder if Dunsmore offers a bit more defensively against the teams up the top of the league though, and wouldn't be surprised to see him in for at least one of Raith/Airdirie. 

Aye by no means a criticism of Morrison who I think has been a good addition and played well so far, though did tire quite quickly in the second half vs Falkirk. Understandable given he's not been playing first team. I wonder if Dunsmore offers a bit more defensively against the teams up the top of the league though, and wouldn't be surprised to see him in for at least one of Raith/Airdirie. 

Morrison is a class act- but have to say he did tire ( understandably) in the second half- should of been taken off sooner.

Dunsmore is one of our best players who rises to the big occasions- particularly against the Rovers . We would have some pace offensively if both played together alongside Dowds.... mind you a risk to play a new formation next 3 games.... lots to ponder for Young- but good problems to have.

On 02/03/2020 at 17:16, Chapelhall chap said:

It's too early in the week for me to ponder how this will go. After the Clyde game tomorrow I will attempt a dangerous prediction

After the results tonight I am going for a home win , with Darren Young going mental when we get an early penalty. 1-0 Airdrie. The results tonight keep it all very interesting indeed.

We need to be aiming for 4 points from our next two at least. Defeat in either would be a bit of a blow in terms of solidifying 4th and pushing on. I suspect we will go with the same side as we did against Forfar, DY seems fairly settled with that line-up. 

Not anything to lose here for us, playing a cagey defensive game probably won't suit us. The first 2 encounters between the sides tought us both, that whoever gets the first goal will likely be crucial.

Hate seeing Dunsmore out the team & Smith made a real difference in his cameo at Forfar last week. C'mon Fife, go for it! 

Our greatest strength is counter attacking at pace and we have struggled on a number of occasions to break down teams who play stuffy and compact and don't come at us, so hopefully East Fife do come and have a go. 

We've only conceded, what, 2 goals since the Hearts Cup game? So we're solid enough. We need to have our cutting edge, which was posted missing at Montrose who were comfortable most of the afternoon. And if we can avoid giving away mad penalties like we did on Saturday that will help immeasurably anawl. 

Montrose losing at Broadwood lets us both breathe a little more easily, but they still have one game in hand so a slip by either of us puts us right at their mercy. Big big game; cannae wait. 

Hoping for Ryan through the middle with Carrick and Gal on either side of him. That implies a 433 but I'm not sure who I'd play in midfield. I personally think Wedderburn has done well since coming back into the team so I'd start him and Millar with someone more forward thinking, probably Murray but I'd be happy enough to see Roberts or Hawkshaw on the teamsheet. I think we should stick with Kerr over Crighton in defence and I imagine Hutts will be back in after goalie Gal's injury last week