U.S Spending Money

RH33

18 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If youre going for that fair enough, but as an actual resort its a shit hole of a place. Very run down. Clearwater or Daytona would be better if its simply a day at the beach you want. The kennedy space centre is amazing though!! Surprisingly though the highlight for us of our tour of kennedy was stopping to see the manatees in the wild.

I'm just looking to get as close to the launch site as possible without standing in a swamp somewhere. Is it just run down and tacky or is it a bit scary?

I’ve ditched the Keys plan. I’m on my own with the kids and it’s a lot hours on road having done Orlando and back and then a transatlantic flight on the Wednesday.

I'm just looking to get as close to the launch site as possible without standing in a swamp somewhere. Is it just run down and tacky or is it a bit scary?

Run down and tacky. Theres places you can go to watch launches, i mean if youre gonna make a day of it then it wouldnt be the sorta beach id go to, but id go to kennedy, stoat about there and park up for the launch and watch roadside or a spectator area.

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Run down and tacky. Theres places you can go to watch launches, i mean if youre gonna make a day of it then it wouldnt be the sorta beach id go to, but id go to kennedy, stoat about there and park up for the launch and watch roadside or a spectator area.

Ideal would be a beach bar where I can hang out and stroll down to the beach when the exciting bits happen. Will have to do a bit of research but I don't mind tacky if the locals are friendly.

Ideal would be a beach bar where I can hang out and stroll down to the beach when the exciting bits happen. Will have to do a bit of research but I don't mind tacky if the locals are friendly.

Ah, yeh that won’t be an issue. I suppose what I mean is the place is run down, like i wouldnt go stay there as it’s trapped in the 80’s (not in a good kitsch way) but suppose a beach bar is a beach bar anywhere.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ah, yeh that won’t be an issue. I suppose what I mean is the place is run down, like i wouldnt go stay there as it’s trapped in the 80’s (not in a good kitsch way) but suppose a beach bar is a beach bar anywhere.

And a cheap motel with a balcony so I can watch it from there if it's in the middle of the night. TBH I'm quite fond of trashy!

• 2 years later...

Quick one:

im packing the bairn (12) off to the states for a week in July. Thankfully I’m not going but unfortunately for me, neither is the wife. She’ll obviously be accompanied by some adults.

How best to sort out spending money for her? Does Go Henry and debit card shite like that work in the states? I don’t really want to give her a stack of green backs if possible.

36 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Quick one:

im packing the bairn (12) off to the states for a week in July. Thankfully I’m not going but unfortunately for me, neither is the wife. She’ll obviously be accompanied by some adults.

How best to sort out spending money for her? Does Go Henry and debit card shite like that work in the states? I don’t really want to give her a stack of green backs if possible.

Caxton seems good, you can load it with dollars and have the main card in your name and a secondary card in her name. Supposedly no ATM charges, I remember getting charged a fair whack in the States using an RBS debit card. Easy for you to top it up if needs be (if :lol:).

https://caxton.io/cards/currency-card

P.S. Just noticed a minimum age limit for additional card holders of 13, not sure if this is strictly applied or if they even ask for the dob of additional card holders.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Caxton seems good, you can load it with dollars and have the main card in your name and a secondary card in her name. Supposedly no ATM charges, I remember getting charged a fair whack in the States using an RBS debit card. Easy for you to top it up if needs be (if :lol:).

https://caxton.io/cards/currency-card

Cheers. Will explore.

50 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Quick one:

$20 some nylon stockings and 200 Marlboro so she can barter in the colonies will be plenty 

Just now, doulikefish said:

$20 some nylon stockings and 200 Marlboro so she can barter in the colonies will be plenty 

I was going to suggest a big bag of fentanyl which is apparently all the rage over there..

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Quick one:

Revolut card is the way forward for travelling anywhere.  Just get an additional card on the account.  Load up as and when required from the app .

https://www.revolut.com/

The Money Saving Expert site (Martin Lewis’s one) is usually a good place to start for most things like this. Here’s the link to their current recommendations for pre-paid travel cards which is probably what you are after given the age of your daughter:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards/

I go to the States every year to play golf and use a combination of US cash, a pre-paid travel card which also allows for further loading when out there and cash withdrawal from any ATM and a credit card that doesn’t charge for foreign currency transactions - the Money Saving Expert site can advise on the best credit cards for this too. Not sure if a 12 year old can have a credit card or be an additional card holder - suspect not.

If you’re ordering currency weigh up the benefits of getting large bills - $100s - which are easier to carry versus getting $10s and $20s which get bulky quickly if you are carrying a decent wedge. A few singles make sense for tipping purposes as well before you’ve started to break the tons.