Celtic FC v Aberdeen (semi final)

Romeo

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Why isn't this happening this week with the final this weekend?

Are new signings going to be allowed to play in the cup?

France are holding their 2019-20 cup final on Friday so before next season starts which makes complete sense. I would imagine this will be the trend around Europe. The daily record are saying that Celtic are complaining about a fixture pile up which is obviously going to happen. I have seen other posters saying that the SFA want to wait to let fans in but bigger competitions (in terms of sponsor, broadcasting, commercial money etc.) than the Scottish cup have went/going ahead without them, the FA cup, the DFB Pokal, Europa league and Champions league. Even then it is an unknown if fans will be allowed whenever it is held.

In my view having it now would mean the teams are as close to last seasons sides as they can be, it would ease any fixture pile ups and it allows next season to start without any carry over from last season.

I actually wondered about this. Jonny Hayes made two sub appearances for Celtic in the Scottish Cup. Will he be eligible to play in the semi final for Aberdeen?

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I actually wondered about this. Jonny Hayes made two sub appearances for Celtic in the Scottish Cup. Will he be eligible to play in the semi final for Aberdeen?

According to the BBC report, yes.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Why isn't this happening this week with the final this weekend?

Are new signings going to be allowed to play in the cup?

France are holding their 2019-20 cup final on Friday so before next season starts which makes complete sense. I would imagine this will be the trend around Europe. The daily record are saying that Celtic are complaining about a fixture pile up which is obviously going to happen. I have seen other posters saying that the SFA want to wait to let fans in but bigger competitions (in terms of sponsor, broadcasting, commercial money etc.) than the Scottish cup have went/going ahead without them, the FA cup, the DFB Pokal, Europa league and Champions league. Even then it is an unknown if fans will be allowed whenever it is held.

In my view having it now would mean the teams are as close to last seasons sides as they can be, it would ease any fixture pile ups and it allows next season to start without any carry over from last season.

The Scottish Cup will make a massively higher proportion of its income from ticket sales than any of those competitions you mention. The SFA and the clubs need that cash. 

Besides, would you not rather wait and see your team play a semi final and final in person than watch it on telly in front of an empty stadium? For three of the four semi finalists winning the Scottish Cup is pretty much the pinnacle of their realistic ambitions and fans surely want to be there when it happens.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The Scottish Cup will make a massively higher proportion of its income from ticket sales than any of those competitions you mention. The SFA and the clubs need that cash. 

Besides, would you not rather wait and see your team play a semi final and final in person than watch it on telly in front of an empty stadium? For three of the four semi finalists winning the Scottish Cup is pretty much the pinnacle of their realistic ambitions and fans surely want to be there when it happens.

I totally agree that it should be in front of fans, I fully support the intention to do that but does it make sense in the current situation to delay it?

How do you think an Atalanta fan will be feeling if they make the champions league final though, relived that UEFA make less of a proportion of their income from ticket sales? Sure that will appease him.

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

I totally agree that it should be in front of fans, I fully support the intention to do that but does it make sense in the current situation to delay it?

How do you think an Atalanta fan will be feeling if they make the champions league final though, relived that UEFA make less of a proportion of their income from ticket sales? Sure that will appease him.

I think we're lucky that we don't depend as much on sponsorship and TV money, and can give a bit more weight to what's best for fans. The SPFL has been riven with self-interest (though finishing the league was a very different issue) but I think the SFA have made a good call. If I were an Atalanta fan I'd want to wait, but I'd understand why that's not really a financial option. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Our relentless march towards an unprecedented quadruple treble continues.

2-0 to Celtic, Aberdeen fans to blame the referee for everything.

emoji41.png

There are just so so many things to laugh at in that couple of sentences.

Keep it up please Romeo

Edited by Sheep62