St Mirren ‘oot the cup v St Johnstone ‘oot the cup

6 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Agreed. Spoony, McCann and Wright in particular looked like they could have done with a break. Sunday was a really tough game and I think it showed. 

If we take our last game in Paisley as a low benchmark, as it was probably the worst point of the early part of the season, I think we did fine on the basis that we took away a point and a clean sheet against what looked a better St Mirren side this time. The quality of our defending and general attitude just seemed far better. 

Looks like we need 6 points from the next 2 games now for top 6. Both winnable but Livi will be another one that's physically tough. 

Actually thought our only real threat was down the right with Drey.  Two decent defences cancelled each other out and it was really just hoofball by us and not very good hoofball at that. So many boots up the park to no one or straight out of play. Not sure if it was just the way the ball fell but thought May was second to react to any ball that was actually gettable. We were late and actually had to q for a ticket. Good away crowd.

3 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

Actually thought our only real threat was down the right with Drey.  Two decent defences cancelled each other out and it was really just hoofball by us and not very good hoofball at that. So many boots up the park to no one or straight out of play. Not sure if it was just the way the ball fell but thought May was second to react to any ball that was actually gettable. We were late and actually had to q for a ticket. Good away crowd.

Don't disagree with that at all, just saying I thought he looked tired. 

The long balls up to May were frustrating when it's so clealy fruitless. 

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I need an explanation for one thing. Once Jim has made his substitutions (agree with them or not), and they are down to ten men, and they announce five mins added time, and three of them are gone... why the fcuk are we watching Morais play it sideways to Foley, who plays it sideways to Andreu, who plays it sideways to.... for actual fcuk sake. Get it forwards, quickly. Time was running out. Pump it up towards Obika. Something. Shoot. Do something other than piss farting around with two minutes left of added time.

It's almost as if us continually passing the ball sideways and backwards and the opposition sticking everyone behind the ball are linked in some way. Maybe one day our manager will realise this.

And it seems McAllister is injured. Again.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

As alright as he was against Aberdeen, he has a very stiff running style. You could tell he was having issues then.

It's such a shame as he has a tonne of talent. If it's a chronic issue then he needs a second opinion or something.

It's almost as if us continually passing the ball sideways and backwards and the opposition sticking everyone behind the ball are linked in some way. Maybe one day our manager will realise this.

Remember a few seasons ago when the media were fawning over St Mirren’s “sexy football?” Any time I witnessed it it was comprised of passing the ball back and forward in their own half amongst the defence, including the keeper. There’s retaining possession and looking good, then there’s keeping the ball but doing nothing much with it. Great possession stats though.
I think we’ve seen enough lack of creativity and chances from good forward play to bin this particular “style.”

59 minutes ago, andrewh said:

Remember a few seasons ago when the media were fawning over St Mirren’s “sexy football?” Any time I witnessed it it was comprised of passing the ball back and forward in their own half amongst the defence, including the keeper. There’s retaining possession and looking good, then there’s keeping the ball but doing nothing much with it. Great possession stats though.
I think we’ve seen enough lack of creativity and chances from good forward play to bin this particular “style.”

That Media you talk about was chick young, his views are void.

20 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I need an explanation for one thing. Once Jim has made his substitutions (agree with them or not), and they are down to ten men, and they announce five mins added time, and three of them are gone... why the fcuk are we watching Morais play it sideways to Foley, who plays it sideways to Andreu, who plays it sideways to.... for actual fcuk sake. Get it forwards, quickly. Time was running out. Pump it up towards Obika. Something. Shoot. Do something other than piss farting around with two minutes left of added time.

17 hours ago, Stu said:

Pretty sure that what they were doing was probing and attempting to get a killer ball in.

With St J down to 10 men - all behind the ball - a hopeful shot of cross that loses us possession would give them the chance to take a minute off the clock.

Understand your frustration, but going for low percentage options against a packed defence trying to see the game out actually helps them and not us.

Edited by Bobby_F

4 hours ago, andrewh said:

Were they really ? Must have missed that.

8 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Pretty sure that what they were doing was probing and attempting to get a killer ball in.

With St J down to 10 men - all behind the ball - a hopeful shot of cross that loses us possession would give them the chance to take a minute off the clock.

Understand your frustration, but going for low percentage options against a packed defence trying to see the game out actually helps them and not us.

I understand the idea behind trying to stretch, open up, and get in behind a team down to ten men. However, if you read my post, I was simply querying why we were watching Morais laying it off to Foley, who played it to Andreu, who played it to Fitzy, who played it to Paisley Panda in the dying moments of the game  - when we had about two minutes of the five added minutes left. I’m not saying we should have starting pumping high balls towards the box from the moment they went down to ten men, just at the end when the referee was about to blow the whistle. We were frankly fcuking around side to side at that time. It hadn’t worked, it wasn’t going to work with 120 seconds left, Last chance saloon, quit fannying around and get the fcuking thing into the box. Morais in particular was partial to the sideways pass as time expired.

Edited by pozbaird