St Mirren ‘oot the cup v St Johnstone ‘oot the cup

FT 0-0

Ah frustrating. Much the better team, second half especially. Couldn’t kick the door down though, hit the post twice plenty of half chances and long range efforts but didn’t work the keeper enough.

Much worse point than it would have been had Hamilton and Hearts not won... Positives are that County are very much back in it. Win our game in hand and we’ll go above them all other things being equal. That’s 3 games against the Saintees this season, 5 points and 0 goals conceded.
Positives you say?? Nothing enjoyable about tonight at all. Beginning to wonder why I bother ruining my days going to watch that shite.

Stupid shit like taking one of our centre forwards off for the completely ineffective Andreu, every fucking game, is going to cost us.

Goodwin's tactical decisions become more baffling and more seemingly stubborn by the week.

That was an awful game of football. St Mirren are a poor side but well organized and Obika always looks capable. 

We were dreadful though. We looked very leggy and without wanting to make excuses for them Sunday would have taken its toll. McCann had his poorest game all season, the other 3 were wasteful in midfield and up top Kane was woeful. Absolutely honking.

Thought May buzzed about ok but service was poor. Defence were fine though, nice and solid. 

Wasn't sure why Tommy kept Craig on so long. He was on a booking and looked a tad slow so that red was on the cards.

Anyway, decent point given the circumstances and hopefully a return of Hendry and Butcher on Sat.

St Mirrens inability to win games like that are going to f**k them.

Our early away form put us on the back foot right away. You can't afford to lose your first 8/9 away games in a row unless you win nearly all of your first 10 home games, which we didn't. We have turned narrow losses into draws. Perth Saints have shown if you turn 3 of them into a narrow win and you can shoot up the table.

Hitting the post a couple of times, when your lucks going for you they can sneak in, on the other hand StJ also hit the bar. The worst team will finish bottom. Plenty of football to be played yet including 2 against County and Hearts.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Goodwin's tactical decisions become more baffling and more seemingly stubborn by the week.

The issue I've got there is that that confounds the theory that 'he's learning on the job'.

I'd be inclined to give the guy another year even if we go down - and I was saying the same about Kearney, because we've got to stop this one manager per year cycle.

But it's tactics and subs that will bemuse fans and turn them against a manager, especially when we're failing to lay a glove on teams in game after game.

43 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Pretty much sums us up.

What I'd say is there might be quality in the squad but if you have it drilled into them about bursting a gut all the time then they don't get a chance to show it.

Bit of a reality check for us last night. We were made to look very ordinary after getting caught on a bit of a wave from recent performances. Biggest positive was Clark continuing to see his form pick up. Looked a big save at the end. 

Edited by Radford

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

The issue I've got there is that that confounds the theory that 'he's learning on the job'.

I'd be inclined to give the guy another year even if we go down - and I was saying the same about Kearney, because we've got to stop this one manager per year cycle.

But it's tactics and subs that will bemuse fans and turn them against a manager, especially when we're failing to lay a glove on teams in game after game.

As has been mentioned, he took off a forward and put on Andreu. Took off Wallace, who was later given MOM, and who puts a decent ball in.

Most bizarrely of all, he left McGrath on for the full game. I don't know if he's playing out of position, but was totally invisible the whole game. Is it because he's one of his signings, he has to play ? Was expecting decent things after the Dundalk fans meltdown that he was too good for shitey St.Mirren, but unless he improves, they can have him back.

21 minutes ago, monthelie' said:

Was expecting decent things after the Dundalk fans meltdown... 

Join the club! 

Hopefully you have more luck shifting him than we've had the best goalscorer in Ireland, if it comes to that. 

2 hours ago, monthelie' said:

As has been mentioned, he took off a forward and put on Andreu. Took off Wallace, who was later given MOM, and who puts a decent ball in.

Similar with the Aberdeen game. Chabbi comes on for his debut. All the chat in the build up to him signing was about his connection with Durmus. The two of them had an extended chat as Chabbi took to the field.

I got excited: they've clearly got the cheat codes for hunners of goals. Then 10 minutes later, Durmus gets hooked. I mean, FFS.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Thought we played ok but it was a good opportunity to get 3 points. It was the same as the 2nd half against Aberdeen on Saturday, once St Johnstone went down to 10 men and sat in for the draw we couldn't pass through them and never looked like scoring. We did create a good amount of chances though and on another day one of them would have went in.

As others have said Goodwins substitutions are baffling at times, I thought dropping Macpherson for Wallace worked well but it's beyond me why Andreu is always brought on and Morias is simply not good enough. I'm not a big fan of Mcallister, he hasn't produced all season, but it was a game crying out for a player like him, especially once they went down to 10 men.

At the end of the day 4 points from Motherwell away and St Johnstone at home is good, we've just been unfortunate that Hamilton and Hearts won. Hearts game next Wednesday is huge now.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

What I'd say is there might be quality in the squad but if you have it drilled into them about bursting a gut all the time then they don't get a chance to show it.

Bit of a reality check for us last night. We were made to look very ordinary after getting caught on a bit of a wave from recent performances. Biggest positive was Clark continuing to see his form pick up. Looked a big save at the end. 

I think this is a little bit harsh on us. We've played well in every match since the winter break, other than a poor first 45 against Cetlic in the league. The players were definitely off the pace last night but I don't think that's much of a surprise given the intensity they've been playing at over the last month or so, and indeed the number of games they've been asked to play. Wright said in his pre-match preview yesterday that the players have all been fit and numerous players must be close to having played every minute of every game in that run. I don't think the players who came in did themselves any favours either to be honest.

I think all the manager could have done differently would've been to play one up front to try and get us a grip in midfield. I think they'd have overloaded us out wide if we'd gone 3-5-2. Nothing stuck with two strikers, so I doubt it would have been any better with one but the extra man in the middle could've helped with second balls and given us more of a chance to pass the ball on what was a decent pitch.

I'm not sure what he expected from Swanson throwing him on last night for his first game in nearly 5 months. I appreciate he wanted to win the game at that stage but, as you'd expect, he struggled to get up to speed at all.

Hopefully just a bad night at the office and not a big dent to our momentum. We've seen over the years how things can turn one way or the other with our team.

23 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think this is a little bit harsh on us. We've played well in every match since the winter break, other than a poor first 45 against Cetlic in the league. The players were definitely off the pace last night but I don't think that's much of a surprise given the intensity they've been playing at over the last month or so, and indeed the number of games they've been asked to play. Wright said in his pre-match preview yesterday that the players have all been fit and numerous players must be close to having played every minute of every game in that run. I don't think the players who came in did themselves any favours either to be honest.

Agreed. Spoony, McCann and Wright in particular looked like they could have done with a break. Sunday was a really tough game and I think it showed. 

If we take our last game in Paisley as a low benchmark, as it was probably the worst point of the early part of the season, I think we did fine on the basis that we took away a point and a clean sheet against what looked a better St Mirren side this time. The quality of our defending and general attitude just seemed far better. 

Looks like we need 6 points from the next 2 games now for top 6. Both winnable but Livi will be another one that's physically tough. 

I thought both teams looked absolutely fucked to be honest. Nobody was able to inject any tempo or pace onto the play, from either team, it was a really slow game. That's probably what you get when teams have been playing twice a week for the past month or so on heavy pitches in shit weather.

Last night had a real sense of deja vu from the Aberdeen game.

St Mirren with more possession and chances, but just not able to score an actual GOAL! 

And without that, a 0-0 is the best we can hope for.

The online BBC highlights only show the three woodwork hits and the red card.

Hopefully tonight we'll see a few more of the chances we had.

Specifically want to see the Obika miss in the second half which looked particularly bad.

Our season could well hang on next Wednesday's result.

I need an explanation for one thing. Once Jim has made his substitutions (agree with them or not), and they are down to ten men, and they announce five mins added time, and three of them are gone... why the fcuk are we watching Morais play it sideways to Foley, who plays it sideways to Andreu, who plays it sideways to.... for actual fcuk sake. Get it forwards, quickly. Time was running out. Pump it up towards Obika. Something. Shoot. Do something other than piss farting around with two minutes left of added time.

Edited by pozbaird