Corona virus threat to live football

TFW

I see that there is talk already of looking at postponing games where there is an expected crowd of more than a thousand. That being the case, there is the opportunity for the non league game up here to carry on, unless there's a blanket ban throughout the UK.

That would have an obvious impact of Cup Finals, League positions - especially titles and relegation - that would need to be somehow managed, especially with potential Scottish Cup places up for grabs next season, and in a wider context promotion to and from the Lowland League and the SPFL. I really don't suppose there's any contingency plans in place, given it's a recent phenomena that is rapidly developing, but I think it will make interesting reading to see what the various administrations come up with?

Thoughts, anyone?

29 minutes ago, TFW said:

I see that there is talk already of looking at postponing games where there is an expected crowd of more than a thousand. That being the case, there is the opportunity for the non league game up here to carry on, unless there's a blanket ban throughout the UK.

That would have an obvious impact of Cup Finals, League positions - especially titles and relegation - that would need to be somehow managed, especially with potential Scottish Cup places up for grabs next season, and in a wider context promotion to and from the Lowland League and the SPFL. I really don't suppose there's any contingency plans in place, given it's a recent phenomena that is rapidly developing, but I think it will make interesting reading to see what the various administrations come up with?

Thoughts, anyone?

i don't think it matters about the crowd size tbh. Does it matter if it's 50 or 50,000.

If one person goes to a game who was infected he/she could pass it on to whoever he/she comes in contact with regardless of how many people are there.

You could catch it anywhere there is a crowd  of people for that matter so I am going to stay in the house for the next 6 months

Despite all the hysteria there's no obvious reason to believe this virus is actually any worse than the swine flu pandemic back in 2009. No games got played behind closed doors for that as far as I remember. Hopefully it all fades away over the next six weeks or so as the temperature rises in the affected countries and we move out of the winter flu season.

3 hours ago, TFW said:

Thoughts, anyone?

The Swiss government has banned events with an expected attendance of over 1000. Ice Hockey authorities decided to play behind closed doors, Swiss Football League cancelled all fixtures this weekend and will decide in the next day or so whether next weekends games are going ahead.

Given how contagious this seems to be I think it’s a bit “closing the door after the horse has bolted”.

First case in Scotland confirmed, in tayside. Someone returning from Italy.  I would be surprised if anything was cancelled at the moment it would need a large increase in cases being diagnosed in Scotland 

The Swiss government has banned events with an expected attendance of over 1000. Ice Hockey authorities decided to play behind closed doors, Swiss Football League cancelled all fixtures this weekend and will decide in the next day or so whether next weekends games are going ahead.
Given how contagious this seems to be I think it’s a bit “closing the door after the horse has bolted”.

When the Swiss start clearing the supermarket shelves of toblerone ...... thats the time to panic !

2 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Going by the age of the average punter at a Junior game, fingers crossed this ain't a pandemic.

Forget the pyramid, most clubs would be wiped out.

Unless the cure is Werther's Originals!

12 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Despite all the hysteria there's no obvious reason to believe this virus is actually any worse than the swine flu pandemic back in 2009. No games got played behind closed doors for that as far as I remember. Hopefully it all fades away over the next six weeks or so as the temperature rises in the affected countries and we move out of the winter flu season.

The mortality rate of the 2009 flu was 0.01-0.08%. Estimates for the mortality rate of the current outbreak are around 1%. So no, it is worse.

It'll be lower if people do things to slow down the spread of the disease. In Scotland it's still extremely unlikely you'll bump into someone carrying it, but that could change quickly in coming days. No need for hysteria but it does need watched and basic steps taken. And while it's unlikely to be serious for us reasonably healthy folk, some of us will be seeing old and sick people.

FWIW, it's estimated that between 700 million and 1.4 billion people contracted the 2009 flu.

At football games with high attendances you come into close contact with a lot of people and there's a much bigger risk of transmission. At a lower attendance game the risk must be about the same as going to a restaurant. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

The mortality rate of the 2009 flu was 0.01-0.08%. Estimates for the mortality rate of the current outbreak are around 1%. So no, it is worse....

A lot depends on how you do the comparison. In terms of the lab confirmed cases the mortality rate on swine flu back in 2009 was about 1% in the UK when the pandemic was initially unfolding:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_Kingdom#Cases_by_region

They arrived at the lower number later by including all the mild cases that probably happened but were never tested. Think the main reason the coronavirus is being treated with a much greater level of prevention measures and panic is that its completely new to science and hence more of an unknown quantity that could still get a lot worse if it mutates in a Spanish flu in 1918 sort of way.

No.......it's too much to digest Jim.

Some interesting points raised, and some surreal ones re the biccies. I note that the number of cases in the UK trebled overnight on Saturday, including the one in Scotland. It would only take a few days of the above happening for squeaky bu, time to appear. Apparently a lot of stores are currently already out of hand gel and facemasks. Good to see the British resolve kicking in. Sorry that should read panic buying....