Cheltenham 2020

jagfox

Corona Virus allowing its only a couple of weeks until the pinnacle meeting of jump racing.

Anyone got any fancies?

I've put a fiver on Frodon but that's it so far.

Been listening to a few podcasts but can't say there's too many I'm keen on backing at the moment...

Few I'm looking at. Off work looking after my mum right now (she broke her arm last week) so I'll have time to watch the preview evenings on Youtube before making my final picks.

Tuesday:

Asterion Forlonge will be right up there in the Supreme Novice Hurdle. Also entered in the Ballymore, but I think they'll go for the Supreme. Form better than Shishkin and less exposed than Abacadabras, although that could also mean less experienced. I'd like Notebook for the Arkle other than his only run at Cheltenham which wasn't great. Cashback doesnt have any history at the course. Fakir Doudaries clearly does so will probably be my bet. Champion Hurdle is wide open. I don't know if Pentland Hills deserves to be as short as it is. I can see why Envoi Allen is there at an attractive price but Elliott has also entered it in the Ballymore and it would be a stand out in that race. Trainer really targets races he can win rather than taking a risk on a bigger race he might not. Honeysuckle looks an interesting option.

Wednesday:

The Ballymore on Wednesday may come down to whether or not Asterion Forlonge drops out of the Supreme or Envoi Allen drops out of the Champion hurdle? I like the look of Fiddlerontheroof of the remaining entries. RSA I'll probably go for Copperhead. Couple of other options fell in their previous race and I don't see why Minella Indo is so short in price. Faugheen is really attractive at 14/1 if it's anything like it's best and that price won't be around for long. I think the Queen Mother looks a cracking race - Altior will be a justified favourite but I could see either Defi Du Seuil or A Plus Tard giving it a really good go.

Thursday:

A Plus Tard should win the Ryanair if he doesnt go for the Queen Mother. If Paisley Park is right on the day then it'll win the Stayers Hurdle without any real contest. Jatiluwih in the Pertemps is interesting. Won a class 2 at Cheltenham in November. Skandiburg in the same race - won at Cheltenham on new years day in a race where he really didnt seem to settle or travel well until the jockey asked him a few questions. He rallied to win that race and his price probably reflects how he travelled for much of the race.

Friday:

Allmankind in the JCB Triumph. The County Hurdle and Albert Bartlett both tend to produce double figure odds winners. Maybe Janidil in the former. Latest Exhibition is a single digit odds option in the latter and has form against some potential rivals. I just don't like the Albert Bartlett as a race and I wouldn't be surprised if it produces another bigger odds winner. Something like Easywork, which was 2nd to Asterion Forlonge in a grade 1 (who also has an entry in this). I think it's a 3 horse race in the big one. Al Boum Photo may well defend his title, but Clan Des Obeaux will give it a good go and I like the look of Delta Work. I'll probably be on Delta Work.

Its probably odd saying that there's no clear superstar horse at the festival this year given Altior's record over the years and Paisley Park's form. I think some of the big races are really open and whilst they may not be vintage renewals, I think they'll be cracking races. 

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Few I'm looking at. Off work looking after my mum right now (she broke her arm last week) so I'll have time to watch the preview evenings on Youtube before making my final picks.

Any in particular to look out for? Off for surgery tomorrow so much the same. 

I am extremely fucking horny for this. Love it when this comes around.

19 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Any in particular to look out for? Off for surgery tomorrow so much the same. 

I am extremely fucking horny for this. Love it when this comes around.

tbh they're all pretty similar. I tend to watch 3 or 4 of them - whatever is available on Youtube.

I find Emmet Kennedy entertaining enough. Not sure if he's hosting any this year? Paul Kealy is always worth a listen.

Counting down the days impatiently for this.  Hopefully coronavirus doesn't scupper it as one of my favourite weeks of the year.

Big blow to the antepost bets last week when Champagne Classic was ruled out of the festival as I had him in plenty bets. including a double with Column of Fire in the Martin Pipe at a big price.  Most important horse I have left is Allmankind in the Triumph who is involved in quite a few multiples with only others featuring in more than one are Asterion Forlonge (Supreme) / Hazel Hill (Foxhunters) / Cepage (Festival Plate) & Copperhead (RSA) but plenty others in one off appearances.

Not really got any anteposts that have dropped dramatically in price this year.  Best on that front is either Ferny Hollow in the Bumper (25's now 8's) or Ramses de Teillee in Albert Bartlett (33s into 12s) but truth be told I'm a bit cold on the chances for both at the moment.

There's been a punter going round various bookies in the Glasgow area dropping large amounts of money on Precious Cargo to win the Northen Trust novices handicap on the first day. Was 20/1 now 16's in most places.

5 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

There's been a punter going round various bookies in the Glasgow area dropping large amounts of money on Precious Cargo to win the Northen Trust novices handicap on the first day. Was 20/1 now 16's in most places.

Still 20/1 at Betvictor. I hope you mix with some very bad people.

47 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Still 20/1 at Betvictor. I hope you mix with some very bad people.

Ha.

I know someone who works for Hills, this guy has placed a fair chunk on the nose in 3 of their branches so far, that they know of, with unverified claims he's on at Coral's too.

My source believes he's moved the Hill's price himself from 20's to 16's.

* this horse still hasn't been ruled out of the Arkle, so make sure it's NRNB.

Edited by Henderson to deliver .....
Edit

If anyone is setting up their Sky/cable box to record the racing during the week, bear in mind the first hour on Wednesday afternoon is on ITV4 rather than the main channel, presumably because of the budget.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Decent offer from McBookies.

image.png.108054ca719db4376027a222073b35c8.png

Was this an E-mail for existing customers ? (not checked my E-Mails yet).

I logged in to my McBookie account last night to place a bet on Betis but didn't notice any messages or any Chelters offers ?

Just now, WATTOO said:

Was this an E-mail for existing customers ? (not checked my E-Mails yet).

I logged in to my McBookie account last night to place a bet on Betis but didn't notice any messages or any Chelters offers ?

Email, just received it. Probably only for select mug punters.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Email, just received it. Probably only for select mug punters.

Cheers, Yes I've no doubt got one as well then !!