Raith Rovers vs Falkirk - The Sequel

Late to the party here but have to say surprised no one  has really commented on the fact that your No 15 got away with one last night when already on a yellow he pulls back our centre mid Miller after he had gone past him around half way line...………..think a case for the referee bottling it as he did with the lack of yellow in first hand when Doyle was taken out on by-line ...…….notice the boy was substituted shortly after which is always a telling statement...………!!!

52 minutes ago, Easy Days for Raith said:

Anyone involved in the smoke bomb incident should be banned, for life. A statement should be released from the club and fans with information should come forward and report it.

Shocking and vile behaviour.

I've reported you for this post

9 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

Late to the party here but have to say surprised no one  has really commented on the fact that your No 15 got away with one last night when already on a yellow he pulls back our centre mid Miller after he had gone past him around half way line...………..think a case for the referee bottling it as he did with the lack of yellow in first hand when Doyle was taken out on by-line ...…….notice the boy was substituted shortly after which is always a telling statement...………!!!

Thought the original yellow was soft, but he absolutely should have gone for the second tackle once on a yellow.  Was relieved he didn’t as was McGlynn who took him off. One more foul and he’d have been gone

I expect that I'm in a serious minority but I thought that McManus was pulled back by the defender at the penalty incident, in fact I think it's obvious in the footage. He could probably have stayed on his feet but that doesn't erase the foul.

Also, I felt at the game that De Vita dived for his free kick, which you can't really see in the footage, however he had been fouled before hand so that was ultimately the correct decision. Certainly no foul on the goalkeeper from the cross either.

As far as the performance is concerned we had an obvious game plan in the 1st half, allowing Raith to have the ball and sitting deep but that resulted in De Vita, Gomis and Longridge being completely anonymous. Gomis just wasn't at it at all, due probably to playing a role that he's not suited too. That meant that we constantly hit the ball long for McManus, which was never going to work.

The difference when Miller came on was obvious, meaning that we could play it long and he won most of his headers and was able to bring players into the game. Longridge and even De Vita were much more involved after that.

The defence was much more solid than Saturday (couldn't be any worse) with Durnan having a good game. Doyle, I felt also had a good first half, defending well.

We obviously need to change it up for Saturday though and I would play Longridge up front with McManus which, when I saw the line-up, is what I thought was going to happen last night. Todd being fit would be a real bonus too but I don't know if he's anywhere near or not?

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I expect that I'm in a serious minority but I thought that McManus was pulled back by the defender at the penalty incident, in fact I think it's obvious in the footage. He could probably have stayed on his feet but that doesn't erase the foul.

Also, I felt at the game that De Vita dived for his free kick, which you can't really see in the footage, however he had been fouled before hand so that was ultimately the correct decision. Certainly no foul on the goalkeeper from the cross either.

As far as the performance is concerned we had an obvious game plan in the 1st half, allowing Raith to have the ball and sitting deep but that resulted in De Vita, Gomis and Longridge being completely anonymous. Gomis just wasn't at it at all, due probably to playing a role that he's not suited too. That meant that we constantly hit the ball long for McManus, which was never going to work.

The difference when Miller came on was obvious, meaning that we could play it long and he won most of his headers and was able to bring players into the game. Longridge and even De Vita were much more involved after that.

The defence was much more solid than Saturday (couldn't be any worse) with Durnan having a good game. Doyle, I felt also had a good first half, defending well.

We obviously need to change it up for Saturday though and I would play Longridge up front with McManus which, when I saw the line-up, is what I thought was going to happen last night. Todd being fit would be a real bonus too but I don't know if he's anywhere near or not?

I think you’s should start with McMillan and  Sammon up front for your next game to be perfectly honest. 

He dominated in the air when he came on so where before your centre backs were dealing with the first ball pretty easily he was winning absolutely everything and allowing us to pay off him. That makes a massive difference as we were actually getting the ball to stick up front. Because he was so dominant in the air it just attracts more defenders to him and frees up more space.

Our other options up front are Conor Sammon and David McMilan. Sammon is pish poor whilst McMillan is barely a footballer so hardly a stretch to suggest Miller is a far better option than both.

Out of order with your comments on McMillan.

He is nowhere near being a footballer.

25 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

I thought the first yellow for Spencer (our no. 15) seemed a bit soft, considering how many fouls for both sides, the referee had ignored / let go. However the foul you mentioned certainly looked a clear yellow and I was both surprised and relieved the referee didn’t give it! Just another example of how inconsistent he was for both Rovers and Falkirk. Not sure how much influence this had on Spencer being substituted though - it was a game better suited to Tait, by that stage.

Fully agree that Brad Spencer was lucky, and as you say hooked just minutes later. However, McManus got away with it last night also, persistently fouling, I think some one mentioned 3 in the first half & 2 in the second half, with no Yellow. And then on top of that when he blatantly just kicked Hendry and wiped him out, and the ref didn’t even have a word with him. On another day both could have easily walked.

The Ref and the Lino Railway Stand side shat it for both teams last night.

45 minutes ago, Kircer bairn said:

McManus got away with a bakers dozen.

Doyle? Your number 2? Good first half? He looked to be the worst player on the park first half. Completely bullied by a 17 year old every time he crossed the half way line

52 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Doyle? Your number 2? Good first half? He looked to be the worst player on the park first half. Completely bullied by a 17 year old every time he crossed the half way line

He's no great but he has scored some blinding goals this season.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

The 17 year old may have bullied him (or tried to) but I didn't see any Raith players get the better of him, not in a defensive sense anyway. Doyle's average at best but I've always thought that his defending was pretty weak but he stood up to everything in the 1st half, ushering the ball out of play a few times under pressure and made a crucial interception in the box when your player was about to shoot.

9 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

What are rules with loan signings for emergencies? Would you be able to sign someone on a short term deal if Thomson's injury was to keep him out for the rest of the season?

Given we have Bow and McGurn on the side, unlikely. There is rumor/discussion about McGurn being injured, but no confirmation.

With regard to emergency signings, those are pretty much gone. The only remaining emergency provision is for the SPFL to approve  a seven day temporary transfer of a keeper, who may only play keeper, and this may be extended in seven day increments.

FFS the Munro lad must be stinking if Thomson is being held up in such high esteem. Outside Fasan one of the worst keepers I have seen at Falkirk

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

FFS the Munro lad must be stinking if Thomson is being held up in such high esteem. Outside Fasan one of the worst keepers I have seen at Falkirk

Football fans are fickle. Go back a few months and you’ll see posts from Rovers fans on here saying that Munro is a great ‘keeper. Then he had a dip in form and got dropped. Thomson had a similar rise and fall, but he was back in favour again.

Either way, we need Munro to work for us as that’s all we’ve got now that Thomson is injured and McGurn isn’t fit. If we can get Steven Anderson back in the team that would help. Having Davo and Bene protecting an inexperienced ‘keeper is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by Scary Bear

Football fans are fickle. Go back a few months and you’ll see posts from Rovers fans on here saying that Munro is a great ‘keeper. Then he had a dip in form and got dropped. Thomson had a similar rise and fall, but he was back in favour again.
Either way, we need Munro to work for us as that’s all we’ve got now that Thomson is injured and McGurn isn’t fit. If we can get Steven Anderson back in the team that would help. Having Davo and Bene protecting an inexperienced ‘keeper is a recipe for disaster.

You obviously haven’t seen Davo and Bene recently....
McKay covering Munro is 10x worse