Raith Rovers vs Falkirk - The Sequel

27 minutes ago, Russ said:

Declan McManus is the epitome of the type of player you live when they play for you and fucking hate when they’re against you. A bit like John Baird.

It’s weird that I think McManus both gets a hard time from referees but at the same time gets a way with a lot. Every game he will get 5/6/7 fouls given against him but I can’t think of a time he’s been booked for persistent fouling. Whilst he is fond of going down rather easily I feel he’s sometimes an easy target for referees and a lot of the 50/50 decisions seem to go against him.

I‘d definitely agree with you about Baird being the type of player you love / hate but not so much McManus.
I certainly agree with the rest of your post though - very much like his time at the Rovers. I thought he was a frustrating player to watch, when he played for us, as he seemed to spend far too much of his time (for my liking anyway) looking for fouls - we just saw the same version of him tonight but from the opposition’s point of view. It’s just a style of play I personally can’t be bothered with.

Was surprised with how we lined up. With the team that was selected I was almost certain it would be 4-2-3-1 with Longridge playing in the hole behind McManus. However it was more a 4-1-4-1 with Gary Miller sitting in front of the defence and both Longridge and Gomis playing as number 8s.

We were playing a really deep line as well looking to almost keep every man behind the ball and it was clear the instruction was to let them play out from the back and to let their centre backs have the ball and not to press in their half. I think this was done mainly with Regan Hendry in mind as one of the 3 in midfield was always on him not letting him to get on the ball and dictate play. Whilst it was effective in the first half anyway as we didn’t concede any real chances it was too negative and rather needless. Due to this our options when we had the ball were very limited as there we nobody looking to get up in support or ahead of McManus. Too many times, particularly from Doyle the ball was just launched aimlessly in his direction where even if he did win the ball there was no help or support.

The difference in our play when Miller came on was huge. In possession it was straight 4-4-2 but out of possession he was dropping deep into midfield to try and cut off the supply of Hendry, think we did do a good job on him as it’s the quietest he’s been against us this season. But going forward gave McManus much needed support as due to his aerial ability BSLM just attracts attention and defenders are drawn to him leaving space for McManus and even Connolly to run into.

It's hard not to feel that Thomson getting injured could be the pivotal moment in the season. If he's out for more than a couple of weeks we're in trouble.

As soon as Miller was brought on immediately after Munro came on I knew we would struggle.

On the whole a game we could and probably should have won. But also one we could have lost.

BBC updates quote McManus with 2 fouls within a minute and another 3 in the first half.  Is persistent fouling no longer a bookable offence?

Falkirk will be happy with the point but I think Rovers won’t  be too upset either, the important thing was not losing and handing the opposition a bigger boost. 

if one of us can put together a run of 4 or 5 wins then the league will be theirs, I don’t know about Falkirk but I think a run of 3 consecutive league wins I’d the best we have managed all season.

All to play for.

BBC updates quote McManus with 2 fouls within a minute and another 3 in the first half.  Is persistent fouling no longer a bookable offence?

Falkirk will be happy with the point but I think Rovers won’t  be too upset either, the important thing was not losing and handing the opposition a bigger boost. 
if one of us can put together a run of 4 or 5 wins then the league will be theirs, I don’t know about Falkirk but I think a run of 3 consecutive league wins I’d the best we have managed all season.
All to play for.

Did the same against East Fife recently & wasn’t even spoken to! Refs in awe of him perhaps

What we're seeing is the aftermath of the 'new manager bounce'. Now comes the realisation that we have appointed two rookie managers for probably the most important season in our recent history. I hope it proves to have been the right decision.

35 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

The referee was shite tonight, but how many times do fans of all teams say that all over the country say that week after week? Said at half time that the longer that game went on, the more the falkirk players would be going to ground and a goal would come from it, although i had said it may come from a pen. Everytime there was a raith player near them, they would just hold back and wait on the raith player making contact. The referee gave it every single time. Yet when a raith player done it, the majority of the time he waved 

Sorry to disagree  but your players were also very active in conning the ref, especially no 22. Why wee played with 1 up front till Miller came on god only knows. Think danny di vito would have been a better option than his nameske the tonight

What we're seeing is the aftermath of the 'new manager bounce'. Now comes the realisation that we have appointed two rookie managers for probably the most important season in our recent history. I hope it proves to have been the right decision.

Well we are still a lot better than we were under McKinnon. Does anyone really think we would have recovered a point under McKinnon tonight?

Really hope that Big Lee now understands that even half fit, he’s still miles better than most of the shite that McKinnon signed. Hope we start to see at least 30 minutes of him most games now as his aerial ability and link up play really made a difference tonight when he came on.

M&M still have a bit to learn but need our support for the rest of the season, rather than the usual suspects who post on here looking for anything and anyone to pass blame towards.

There is not going to be a change of manager at the club this season so time we got used to it and got behind two guys who are trying to dig us out of a hole....

On 02/03/2020 at 23:32, bairn88 said:

Agreed, most likely is a draw then we can both get back to shitfesting wins for the next 7 or 8 games before the final showdown in the final couple of weeks. It’s gonna be painful baby 

Zero minutes in that 90 made me believe otherwise. See you in May