PTFC v QOSFC. The we're shiter than you thread

47 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I genuinely think that either he or Simmonds would improve our current midfield.

There is literally nothing in its favour.

I genuinely think you've lost your mind. Simmonds got a worse press than he deserved probably but he wasn't good for us and McLaughlin was dreadful. There's not one of our current central midfielders I wouldn't take over both of them.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I genuinely think you've lost your mind. Simmonds got a worse press than he deserved probably but he wasn't good for us and McLaughlin was dreadful.

As opposed to the completely dung ringers like 'Dan Pybus' you've got at the moment, stinking out the worst Scottish second tier in living memory.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I genuinely think you've lost your mind. Simmonds got a worse press than he deserved probably but he wasn't good for us and McLaughlin was dreadful. There's not one of our current central midfielders I wouldn't take over both of them.

Oh they were poor, but there is nothing to commend our current lot.

Simmonds, as you imply, wasn't helped by his manager's silly comments, and he couldn't spray passes in the way he liked to imagine.   He could, on occasion though, put his foot on the ball.

McLaughlin was a hugely frustrating player, who delivered many inept performances.  He did also make contributions though, chipping in a decent number of goals. 

I'd say that both players produced really mixed stuff for us, much of it rotten.

There's nothing mixed about what our current midfield provides.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I thought McLaughlin wasn't as bad as all of the talk. He was competent when played as an attacking midfielder, but was alongside the total passenger that was Simmons which dragged him down as well.

I'm not saying he was good, but he was far from the worst of our problems in that horrific season.

It's depressing enough that we are even talking about this subject but despite it seeming impossible at the time, I think this midfield is definitely worse than the one Macpherson assembled.  Both McLaughlan and Simmons were on a negative career trajectory that either started with us, or certainly accelerated but at least they had track records (of sorts) of being footballers at some point and very occasionally showed it.  I'm not sure if some of the current crop will even be playing the game in a few years they are so bad.

It's depressing enough that we are even talking about this subject but despite it seeming impossible at the time, I think this midfield is definitely worse than the one Macpherson assembled.  Both McLaughlan and Simmons were on a negative career trajectory that either started with us, or certainly accelerated but at least they had track records (of sorts) of being footballers at some point and very occasionally showed it.  I'm not sure if some of the current crop will even be playing the game in a few years they are so bad.

For someone I rated at start of season pybus resulting to volley the ball the way he’s facing twice or thrice was enough for me. I’d we were choosen to keep any of our contracted midfielders it’d be lyon at moment.

5 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Uh huh.

Abdul Osman has played over 100 Premiership games in this country as well as playing top level in Greece. Darren Lyon has played over 50 games at the top level.  Michael Paton made over 50 League appearances for Aberdeen, though most of them as a sub and mostly as a striker. 

You can think the current crop are worse if you like. You can think that McLaughlin and Simmons were under-rated if you like too. But it's nonsense to suggest they had better careers than anyone in the current central midfield group.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ooft we got away with that! Absolutely no way was he offside there and Semple clearly fouled him.

He certainly isnt offside. Not certain watching it on my phone that Semple actually catches him but I guess he probably did. 

I dont understand the whole process. The assistant at no point puts his flag up. When the ref gives the penalty he moves into position for it and still doesnt indicate there is any issue with offside. Only once the ref goes across to speak to him does the decision change. Odd. Looks like we dodged a bullet there.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He certainly isnt offside. Not certain watching it on my phone that Semple actually catches him but I guess he probably did. 

I dont understand the whole process. The assistant at no point puts his flag up. When the ref gives the penalty he moves into position for it and still doesnt indicate there is any issue with offside. Only once the ref goes across to speak to him does the decision change. Odd. Looks like we dodged a bullet there.

Yes, really strange.

If the linesman is of the (mistaken) opinion that there's an offside, why on earth doesn't he do the conventional thing with his flag?  Pretty inexplicable.

Stewart attempts to make saves like an outfield player would when required to stand in, back in the day.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, really strange.

If the linesman is of the (mistaken) opinion that there's an offside, why on earth doesn't he do the conventional thing with his flag?  Pretty inexplicable.

Stewart attempts to make saves like an outfield player would when required to stand in, back in the day.

This. Was hoping after a clean sheet there might be some hope. There isn’t. 

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, really strange.

Yep it's quite bizarre to think that he's actually a keeper.

On 05/03/2020 at 13:50, Skyline Drifter said:

Uh huh.

Abdul Osman has played over 100 Premiership games in this country as well as playing top level in Greece. Darren Lyon has played over 50 games at the top level.  Michael Paton made over 50 League appearances for Aberdeen, though most of them as a sub and mostly as a striker. 

You can think the current crop are worse if you like. You can think that McLaughlin and Simmons were under-rated if you like too. But it's nonsense to suggest they had better careers than anyone in the current central midfield group.

Whatever happened to Simmons? Seemed to be hated by the fans of every club he was it apart from Alloa, never looked like a bloke who enjoyed football.