Hearts v Rangers

Tony Wonder

Yes, because Scotland is always hammering the big guns of the world game.  Good point.

They beat France home and away and beat Ukraine then failed to qualify due to a 2-0 defeat against Georgia in 2007.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

They beat France home and away and beat Ukraine then failed to qualify due to a 2-0 defeat against Georgia in 2007.

Ah, so identifying a single occasion over twelve years ago, establishes that this is a genuine phenomenon, does it?

There won't be a football team in the world that can't point to a similar sequence.  It's a self serving - wha's like us - myth, to suggest that Scotland has any sort of pattern of doing better against the big guns, than the minnows.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ah, so identifying a single occasion over twelve years ago, establishes that this is a genuine phenomenon, does it?

There won't be a football team in the world that can't point to a similar sequence.  It's a self serving - wha's like us - myth, to suggest that Scotland has any sort of pattern of doing better against the big guns, than the minnows.

Every dog has it's day, I don't see this result as a shock the duopoly is still on hold. 

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

:lol: Yes, you've got me.  I'm so gutted at Rangers losing, I'm desperate to change the subject.

Don't you go changing Willy.

And here's me thinking The tarts are getting no credit for this result and Stendel can get them off the bottom of the league.

41 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Have the **** said anything or put out a statement about the assaults on the Hearts keeper?

Well we all know they like a good statement, so I expect them to be issuing something very soon. Or maybe not.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

I think it's more a coaching issue tbh, refusing to change from tactics which dont work against physical teams. Obviously in Europe you don't see that style of play, refs dont accept it there but in Scotland they do, so we need to adapt.

Stop fannying about with the baw in defence and boot it to fcuk. I'm convinced the players are being told to play it out rather than clear their lines, its happening too often. Sometimes you just have to boot it out/up the pitch.

Realise that our forwards require space, see the Braga and other European games. Stop trying to pass the baw past 10 defenders, it doesn't work.

Last nights game was predictable,  see my page 1 post.

If you look at Celtic, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, these teams have done three things that sevco haven't 

1. they've signed players and made them better than they were before they arrived at the club, e.g Stewart, Shinnie, Brown, Cosgrove

2. they've brought good players through the team, Jones, Forrest, 

3. they've built a core of decent players and added to it year after year. 

53 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They beat Croatia home and away for World Cup 2014 qualifying but lost twice to Wales and drew at home to Macedonia.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

They beat Croatia home and away for World Cup 2014 qualifying but lost twice to Wales and drew at home to Macedonia.

My God - you're right.  Scotland is utterly unique in this respect.

If I looked up other international sides, I'd be quite unable to find parallels anywhere.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

My God - you're right.  Scotland is utterly unique in this respect.

If I looked up other international sides, I'd be quite unable to find parallels anywhere.

Rangers are a mirror image of the Scotland national side, the only difference being the Scotland supporters know how to behave respectfully on their travels.

35 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

And here's me thinking The tarts are getting no credit for this result and Stendel can get them off the bottom of the league.

Do you get the concept of the reply Willy?

Cue a response which involves his shopping list.

It would be supporting evidence as opposed to proof but it’s more evidence than you’ve presented

That said, there’s a strong chance of succumbing to availability bias on this question

Giant killings, whether you’re on the good or bad end of them, are by definition unusual so they stay in the memory longer.

On the other hand just because there would be an explanation for it being wrong doesn’t prove that it is wrong

We need someone to take the time to go through all the UEFA qualifying results and see how often Scotland have beaten teams seeded above them and lost to teams seeded below them and also do that for all the other middle ranked sides in Europe to find some kind of benchmark and give us an objective answer

I’m a bit too busy so I’m afraid you’ll have to do it

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It would be supporting evidence as opposed to proof but it’s more evidence than you’ve presented

That said, there’s a strong chance of succumbing to availability bias on this question

Giant killings, whether you’re on the good or bad end of them, are by definition unusual so they stay in the memory longer.

On the other hand just because there would be an explanation for it being wrong doesn’t prove that it is wrong

We need someone to take the time to go through all the UEFA qualifying results and see how often Scotland have beaten teams seeded above them and lost to teams seeded below them and also do that for all the other middle ranked sides in Europe to find some kind of benchmark and give us an objective answer

I’m a bit too busy so I’m afraid you’ll have to do it

I'm aware now that I really am doing some of that deflecting Willy accused me of, but still.

Scotland usually lose to the big guns in our groups, as you'd expect.  Because we've been shite for a while, we also have struggled a bit against some weaker sides.

Of course, there have been times when we've beaten stronger sides, but it's mythical to point to an apparent pattern, that makes us unusual.

I think it maybe took shape a bit in the 1978 World Cup, but it didn't really exist as a trend then, and it doesn't now either.

15 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Aye it does mate. He’s not been able to crack Celtic’s dominance.

Do we think anyone can do it ?? They just seem so far ahead domestically just now.

If the buns had convinced Steve Clark to go there last year then he would have.