Who's making the play-offs?

7 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Can't believe you didn't put a poll in the OP tbh.

You're sacked.

Ngl I imagined the thread being more like the relegation thread - a week-by-week updater - but then I asked a fucking question in the thread title like the genius I am.

3 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

With the title all but wrapped up, the rest of the respectably performing teams turn their eyes firmly towards the playoffs. With 5 points separating 3rd and 7th and 2nd only being 3 points better off, the final table is far from accounted for. No team side from United has really seen any long term form this season, leading to the mess we find ourselves in. The current candidates are:

2nd. Inverness CT     24 - 39 Pts - +6

3rd. Dundee FC.        24 - 36 Pts -  -1

4th. Ayr United.          23 - 35 Pts - +3

5th. Arbroath.             24 - 34 Pts -  -2

6th. Morton.                 25 - 32 Pts - -10

7th. Dunfermline.      24 - 31 Pts - +3

This week, Arbroath come south to Dens to battle Dundee, Ayr go on the road to face Alloa, and the Pars face off against the league leading DABs. Morten and ICT get the weekend off.

A win for the Dee and the push for second gets ever stronger while weakening the Lichties challenge. Vice versa, and Arbroath could find themselves 3rd by the day's end. Dundee could also end up 5th,but let's not focus on that because I don't want to. A draw isn't terrible but isn't particularly helpful for either team at this point.

After a sluggish loss to Morten, an away win for the Honest Men would get them right back on track. A loss though, and any remaining breathing room they have might well be gone.

For Dunfermline, this feels like a vital game to get all 3 points in. Already on the precipice of mediocrity for the season, a win against the league leaders would likely give fuel to an energetic side and could be the catalyst for another solid run.

The game is afoot, let's see how it progresses.

We are away to Queens this weekend.

I would like to see Arbroath finish in the top four.
I would also like to see them clinch promotion.  To comply with the SPFL rules they would need to play their home games at a different stadium but Dundee going bust would free up New Gayfield (formerly known as Dens Park).

Why would we need to play at a different stadium haha?

Wild that Morton and Dunfermline can even be considered part of this conversation after the first half of the season both sides had.

While our form over the last 9 games is top four material, I can’t see us sustaining it well enough to make it. We’re in a bit of an odd position where we’re playing better than we were in the first half of the season and results reflect that, but we also contrived to end January with poorer centre backs than we started it with when the defence was already the weakest part of the team.

We’re throwing away too many daft goals to catch the teams ahead of us; in the last five games alone we’ve lost four points through stoppage time equalisers from poorly defended crosses. You could say if we’re that close to being on an even better run of form it’s cause for optimism that we could start grinding out  more wins, but every team can point to what ifs with dropped points over the course of a season and all the evidence points to the bad defending being something that’ll continue with the players we have rather than something that’s easily fixed or likely to improve. We’re drawing too many winnable games and with sides ahead of us having games in hand we’ve got too much to do.

Two weeks ago I was still saying I’d happily take 8th, so I won’t be too bothered if we stumble into harmless mid-table mediocrity from here. A defeat this Saturday would put us right back into the relegation battle after all.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why would we need to play at a different stadium haha?

Pretty sure you need a 6,000 seated capacity for the Scottish Premier League.  Of course I might be wrong about that.

ETA. Just checked and seems I’m wrong.  Fair enough, I’m happy for us to play against Arbroath at Gayfield in the top flight next year.

That way when Dundee goes bust we can flatten Dens and use the space for parking.  Win, win.

Edited by Granny Danger

We were gubbins on Tuesday night against Morton however a lot of our fans seem to have forgotten we had a good run prior to that and would’ve won on Saturday at Gayfield had the ref not abandoned it.

ICT will probably finish 2nd with us 3rd and I can actually see Dunfermline finishing 4th simply because they’ve got someone like Nisbet in the team. Would be a nice story if Arbroath could get there but I can’t see it.

We were gubbins on Tuesday night against Morton however a lot of our fans seem to have forgotten we had a good run prior to that and would’ve won on Saturday at Gayfield had the ref not abandoned it.

That ‘we’d have won because of the wind direction’ claim is truly laughable. The teams in this division are so incompetent that they even contrive to get worse with the wind behind them - and your clown car display on Tuesday puts you well within bracket now.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

...when Dundee goes bust we can flatten Dens and use the space for parking.  Win, win.

73k was the figure that United are reportedly losing on a weekly basis.

But yeah, Dundee FC with its long term financial plans and investors are the team to worry about, not the one run by a bald shop keep who bought a football club for his son 🥴

Edited by Crawford

20 hours ago, Crawford said:

73k was the figure that United are reportedly losing on a weekly basis.

But yeah, Dundee FC with its long term financial plans and investors are the team to worry about, not the one run by a bald shop keep who bought a football club for his son 🥴

Ooft.

21 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I still expect us to make the playoffs and if we don’t serious questions have to be asked of Kerr.

2nd should still be the aim. 

As long as we're capable of performances like Tuesday night, and with the fixture pile up, 4th would be an achievement.