Who's making the play-offs?

With the title all but wrapped up, the rest of the respectably performing teams turn their eyes firmly towards the playoffs. With 5 points separating 3rd and 7th and 2nd only being 3 points better off, the final table is far from accounted for. No team side from United has really seen any long term form this season, leading to the mess we find ourselves in. The current candidates are:

2nd. Inverness CT     24 - 39 Pts - +6

3rd. Dundee FC.        24 - 36 Pts -  -1

4th. Ayr United.          23 - 35 Pts - +3

5th. Arbroath.             24 - 34 Pts -  -2

6th. Morton.                 25 - 32 Pts - -10

7th. Dunfermline.      24 - 31 Pts - +3

This week, Arbroath come south to Dens to battle Dundee, Ayr go on the road to face Alloa, and the Pars face off against the league leading DABs. Morton head down to Dumfries, while ICT get the weekend off from league action to focus on being papped out of the Scottish Cup.

A win for the Dee and the push for second gets ever stronger while weakening the Lichties challenge. Vice versa, and Arbroath could find themselves 3rd by the day's end. Dundee could also end up 5th,but let's not focus on that because I don't want to. A draw isn't terrible but isn't particularly helpful for either team at this point.

After a sluggish loss to Morton, an away win for the Honest Men would get them right back on track. A loss though, and any remaining breathing room they have might well be gone.

For Dunfermline, this feels like a vital game to get all 3 points in. Already on the precipice of mediocrity for the season, a win against the league leaders would likely give fuel to an energetic side and could be the catalyst for another solid run.

Morton are in good form right now, and playing a very out of form Queen of the South. Having played at least a game more than the surrounding teams, I'd say it's pretty important for them to keep grabbing wins, although I'd argue bringing home any points from Palmerston is a decent effort.

The game is afoot, let's see how it progresses.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Just realised we're 3rd in the form table despite only winning 2 out of 6 (Alloa are 2nd but have also only won 2 out of 6). We're the only two clubs unbeaten in those six as well. Weird league.

Anyway if the points each club gained in those last six were replicated for the rest of the season we'd have a final table of:
Dundee United - 77
Arbroath - 54
ICT - 53
Ayr - 52
Dundee - 52
Morton - 50
Alloa - 45
Dunfermline - 43
Partick - 33
Queen of the South - 28

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

We’ve taken 16 points and lost just once in our last nine matches, which is definite playoff form. Our performances don’t convince me that we can sustain this in the final quarter though: we’ll probably just finish 6th above Dunfermline as usual.

I would like to see Arbroath finish in the top four.

I would also like to see them clinch promotion.  To comply with the SPFL rules they would need to play their home games at a different stadium but Dundee going bust would free up New Gayfield (formerly known as Dens Park).

I would like to see Arbroath finish in the top four.
I would also like to see them clinch promotion.  To comply with the SPFL rules they would need to play their home games at a different stadium but Dundee going bust would free up New Gayfield (formerly known as Dens Park).

They’d be better off ground sharing at Tannadice given that they have a pretty good record there.