2020/2021 Scottish Cup

Burnie_man

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Who did Sabanda play for? I’m sure I’ve seen him play against us before.

Was it no Cowdenbeath? Sure I played Sabandas myself against...Ballingry or Lochgelly or something back in the day. 

I agree with you. I don't think QP are a Championship quality side, and I think I leave all that swaggering talk to you guys. I'd be comfortable to make it to League 1 as a first step. From watching a lot of the highlights through the leagues, I think you are probably wise to cling to that result against us at the beginning of the season as proof that you are indeed a Championship team. It sets up a nice contest for us both. I admire your confidence.

I'm not clinging to anything. I mentioned the result because one of your supports thought beating us would mean QP are Championship quality, yet he failed to mention they've already been comfortably beaten by our dross already this season. We're only a Championship team in an official capacity. The side we have is an average League 1 side at best. If we stick with them next season I very much doubt we'll be challenging for promotion.

I’ll believe you that we’re not a Championship side. We’re an ensemble and each week the band is different. We’re still getting it together. What I would say is we’ve improved greatly since whenever our teams last met. And your team seemingly hasn’t. Should be a tight game.

I'm sure you have. We're as shit as we were the last time the two sides met. I fully expect it to be a close game and I'll be more surprised if we aren't knocked out of this cup again this season by yourselves. Back to my original argument though, even if we do get knocked out by QP it doesn't mean that side are of Championship quality.

Amazingly Queen of the South have managed to not be the biggest minter this week. "Championship quality" Queen's Park took extra time to beat sixth tier Dundonald and they're already safely through against Championship side in the next round. Big time Billy shite.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

There have, in point of fact, been two play off finals featuring ex-Junior clubs 

Edinburgh City were Juniors in the 1950s before going into abeyance in 1955. OK that's stretching it but;

Stepping up from the amateurs Cove Rangers had a season in the Aberdeenshire Juniors before joining the Highland League.

200.gif

Was it no Cowdenbeath? Sure I played Sabandas myself against...Ballingry or Lochgelly or something back in the day. 
Barry played more recently with Rosyth and Cupar Hearts. Lee played against the Pars for Cowden I'm sure.

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There have, in point of fact, been two play off finals featuring ex-Junior clubs 

Edinburgh City were Juniors in the 1950s before going into abeyance in 1955. OK that's stretching it but;

Stepping up from the amateurs Cove Rangers had a season in the Aberdeenshire Juniors before joining the Highland League.

You’ll soon be arguing that Rangers* have 54 title wins 😀

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I know their manager is proud of his team's performance but getting put of of Scottish Cup in the first round to Queens Park is not 'putting the club on the map'.

A boy on here thought they were from Ayrshire. He probably wasn’t alone in thinking that. It’s literally putting the club on the (footballing) map for some.

17 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

A boy on here thought they were from Ayrshire. He probably wasn’t alone in thinking that. It’s literally putting the club on the (footballing) map for some.

So did I. Infact I'm sure I said earlier in the thread that it's unfortunate they have to travel to Kelty to play their tie (thinking it was the Ayrshire Dundonald) then the commentator last night said it's 10 mins down the road :lol: 

Barry played more recently with Rosyth and Cupar Hearts. Lee played against the Pars for Cowden I'm sure.

Barry has only recently joined Bluebell for a second stint (was there a few years ago) earlier this season. Played against him earlier this season in the Fife Ammy League he scored hatrick against us for Cupar.

Lee us involved with Cupar too. Played that day also.

All the "Championship level" stuff is irrelevant. We play in League Two, which means we're a League Two level team. We certainly have a strong squad for the level, but there's no point in claiming to be above it. The only way you can do that is by actually achieving it. 

To be fair, a lot of the noise around us isn't coming from our support. We know the score and know football can bite you in the arse, as it nearly did last night. We've all been bottom of League Two and knocked out of the cup by Bo'ness United etc. Most of us will certainly have a tongue in cheek laugh about our new found wealth, but very few will take anything for granted. 

Queen of the South beat us this season, a game we might have expected to perform slightly better in. However, we beat them last season with a much weaker squad in the Scottish Cup. There's no doubt that it's a game that both sides will feel they can win. 

Edited by an86

Bonnyrigg P-P Bo'ness

Off again tonight... Bonnyrigg say they're now looking at moving it to another park.

On paper it should try again this weekend: but Bonnyrigg v Kelty and East Stirlingshire v Bo'ness are due in league on New Year's Day (Friday) while by chance Bo'ness v Bonnyrigg is due in league on Tuesday.

So if it's moved it could cause less disruption if they tried again on Monday/Tuesday.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 29/12/2020 at 11:11, RaithRyan said:

Barry has only recently joined Bluebell for a second stint (was there a few years ago) earlier this season. Played against him earlier this season in the Fife Ammy League he scored hatrick against us for Cupar.

Lee us involved with Cupar too. Played that day also.

It was at Cupar I knew him (Bell Baxter to be precise). I knew he joined Cupar Hearts after leaving school.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Oops! After CC tweeting that Huntly left the pitch inspection until today as they were so confident!

It appears from tweets Cumbernauld asked for an inspection yesterday, but Huntly said no need...

Unless there is some example I've missed since 1990s it looks like Bonnyrigg-Bo'ness will be the first Scottish Cup tie on New Year's Day since 1902.

Huntly-Cumbernauld off again and makes attempt #3 on Saturday.

Bonnyrigg-Bo'ness attempt #3 will be on Friday at Spartans.
Interesting move - possibly more suited to Bo'ness with the similarities to the surface at Falkirk and District Stadium.