Jump to content
Burnie_man

2020/2021 Scottish Cup

Recommended Posts

Given a likely start in early October ... with normal round 4 in mid January .. they should really dispense with all the `favouritism` nonsense and just play a straight three rounds

( assuming 112 entries) .... 60 clubs in round 1 .... 60 clubs in round 2 .... 40 clubs in round 3 ... 12 byes join for last 32 in January ...   simples ..

Edited by mick90
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

STV are reporting that the SFA have proposed an abridged 52 club competition for next season. It would be the 42 SPFL clubs plus up to 10 non-league clubs who have declared themselves able to play. If more than 10 choose to enter then the entrants will be chosen out of a hat. Clubs not taking part would get £5k.

I think they could manage to squeeze a few more teams in rather than going for this, but it depends on whether teams are actually wanting to/able to take part.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/football/proposals-on-table-for-major-revamp-of-scottish-cup?top

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

STV are reporting that the SFA have proposed an abridged 52 club competition for next season. It would be the 42 SPFL clubs plus up to 10 non-league clubs who have declared themselves able to play. If more than 10 choose to enter then the entrants will be chosen out of a hat. Clubs not taking part would get £5k.

I think they could manage to squeeze a few more teams in rather than going for this, but it depends on whether teams are actually wanting to/able to take part.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/football/proposals-on-table-for-major-revamp-of-scottish-cup?top

Do all full member clubs get a vote or is it just the board who decides, as I think the non-league full members outnumber the SPFL? (yes I do know that the recent additions are only associate members)

Some laugh though if the non-league season begins in October and you have Kelty, Brora etc on the sidelines while Coldstream and Newton Stewart get drawn out the hat :lol:

Edited by Ginaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's 106(?) that would otherwise take part. 104 members, Musselburgh and Talbot as qualifiers. That's 64 non-league sides.

Scrap replays. Call Boxing day Round Two.

PR1 in October = 16 byes with 48 in the draw

PR2 in November = 24 PR1 winners +16 Byes

1st Round early December = 20 PR2 winners

2nd Round Boxing Day = 10 SPFL2 + 10 1st Round winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Nothing in that article suggests its just for one season though. Sloppy journalism or SFA thinking?

"Proposals on table for major revamp of Scottish Cup

Plans would see a maximum of 52 clubs take part under a drastic rethink of the football calendar"

 

"The Scottish FA has put forward proposals for a major revamp of this season’s Scottish Cup, STV can reveal."

"How would the new-look Scottish Cup work?"

I've assumed it's just for this season because it's a compressed season for all involved. I can't see any actual benefit to anyone for it being a permanent thing, particularly given that the current TV deal for the competition includes games from the earlier rounds, some of which will essentially disappear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SFA can f**k right off with that glorified Betfred Cup shite. If they're concerned by the tight schedule so much then the logical response is just to ditch as many of the pointless byes and round skips as possible and throw all the teams in at the first stage instead. Twenty four teams emerging from two rounds of utter carnage to face eight Premiership sides would be acceptable. Better still, dump the lot of them in at Round 1, top the teams up to 128 with more jobbers and have a glorious free-for-all. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make no mistake about it the flood of clubs is not welcome everything will be done in the future to curtail numbers and participating this is just the beginning. 

The associate membership is farcical to make clubs feel good about themselves but in reality give them nothing in terms of a voice . 

No playoff next season due to time constraints thats next on cards. 

Nice to hear the hapless wee barry is furious a club and manager made for each other and deserve everything they get and not in a good way. 

Edited by ballermk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll make a prediction now - the pyramid playoff will get scrapped for 20/21 with scheduling being cited as the reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I'll make a prediction now - the pyramid playoff will get scrapped for 20/21 with scheduling being cited as the reason. 

I'd be quite happy for it to be scrapped indefinitely until all the stupid wee souped-up outfits like Kelty, Brora and even ES get back in their box tbh. A price worth paying for not having more Gretnas in the national league. 

Continue promoting/relegating teams below them though so that they can't even remain king of the non-league diddies though. 

Edited by vikingTON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I'll make a prediction now - the pyramid playoff will get scrapped for 20/21 with scheduling being cited as the reason. 

With the Premiership scheduled for a final round in the middle of May, it means all the other SPFL divisions will be finishing earlier for their playoffs. There will be enough time to get the playoffs in. Just not as likely for a regular league season that we're used to seeing. We already know the SPFL divisions have cut back to 27 games. Chances are the Highland & Lowland will have to do something to cut back on what would otherwise be a 32 game season.

That's without any second waves and significant weather postponements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

With the Premiership scheduled for a final round in the middle of May, it means all the other SPFL divisions will be finishing earlier for their playoffs. There will be enough time to get the playoffs in. Just not as likely for a regular league season that we're used to seeing. We already know the SPFL divisions have cut back to 27 games. Chances are the Highland & Lowland will have to do something to cut back on what would otherwise be a 32 game season.

That's without any second waves and significant weather postponements.

I agree with everything you've said, but there will be an excuse to preserve the League Two cartel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'd be quite happy for it to be scrapped indefinitely until all the stupid wee souped-up outfits like Kelty, Brora and even ES get back in their box tbh. A price worth paying for not having more Gretnas in the national league. 

Continue promoting/relegating teams below them though so that they can't even remain king of the non-league diddies though. 

^^^Brechin City and most of the rest of the quivering wrecks of League 2 like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, virginton said:

The SFA can f**k right off with that glorified Betfred Cup shite. If they're concerned by the tight schedule so much then the logical response is just to ditch as many of the pointless byes and round skips as possible and throw all the teams in at the first stage instead. Twenty four teams emerging from two rounds of utter carnage to face eight Premiership sides would be acceptable. Better still, dump the lot of them in at Round 1, top the teams up to 128 with more jobbers and have a glorious free-for-all. 

 

This is what the Scottish Cup should always be imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Do all full member clubs get a vote or is it just the board who decides, as I think the non-league full members outnumber the SPFL? (yes I do know that the recent additions are only associate members)

Some laugh though if the non-league season begins in October and you have Kelty, Brora etc on the sidelines while Coldstream and Newton Stewart get drawn out the hat :lol:

Pretty sure only SPFL, HL and LL sides have a vote now so only 34 vs 42.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

STV are reporting that the SFA have proposed an abridged 52 club competition for next season. It would be the 42 SPFL clubs plus up to 10 non-league clubs who have declared themselves able to play. If more than 10 choose to enter then the entrants will be chosen out of a hat. Clubs not taking part would get £5k.

I think they could manage to squeeze a few more teams in rather than going for this, but it depends on whether teams are actually wanting to/able to take part.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/football/proposals-on-table-for-major-revamp-of-scottish-cup?top

Get this shite to f**k.  

Disappointingly i can see it passing tho.   League 2 and lower league 1 sides would want to increase their chances of drawing a full-time side and for the bigger sides games vs non-league sides aren’t significantly money-spinning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad news. What I got told is Scottish F.a. need to do it different next year to fit in all the other games. That can go O.k.. But lot of small teams will be angry if are turning it in to S.p.f.l cup even just for one year. More new teams joined in but some student and ammy teams could sit out. Blazers do not want S.p.f.l. clubs to start in it before last years final done.

If all teams want in they should let them all in and not any lottory draws. Got told another idea is thirty teams in the Pyramid to come in with ten Lge 2 teams on Boxing day. And can may be put extra round on front for sixty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ballermk said:

Make no mistake about it the flood of clubs is not welcome everything will be done in the future to curtail numbers and participating this is just the beginning. 

The associate membership is farcical to make clubs feel good about themselves but in reality give them nothing in terms of a voice . 

No playoff next season due to time constraints thats next on cards. 

Nice to hear the hapless wee barry is furious a club and manager made for each other and deserve everything they get and not in a good way. 

What a tragic little man you are.

A deluded idiot still angry that the cesspit of the Juniors died and who takes out his rage by creating multiple accounts on here to belittle and attack people whilst coming across as a creepy little mentally challenged fool.

Please seek help and accept your shitehole of a grade is dead and gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure how much the ‘struggle to fit in games’ stands up.

At a minimum the proposal is for 7 rounds.  So why not have at least 64 sides playing which we had playing at that stage last year?

The additional dates required to play the cup as normal are all rounds that only contain non-league sides, I highly doubt these are the ones asking for a curtailed Scottish cup.  Getting 3 rounds played before Boxing Day shouldn’t be too much of a challenge for them if they are able to start as they hope in October.

Edited by parsforlife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...