2020/2021 Scottish Cup

Burnie_man

On 24/03/2021 at 14:38, John07 said:

Have Rangers ever beaten another club called Rangers. I seem to recall them coming a cropper against Berwick Rangers in the past.

Why are people so interested in two clubs no longer in the league ?

Edited by EdinburghBlue

I've noticed a lot of fans saying they are not bothered about the cup this year in the match threads.
I really hope its a one off as the decline of the FA Cup happened very fast , probably around the time Man U had to withdraw one season to play in the World club championship.
I appreciate those in the league one have a game every 3 days just now but it looks like the cup is only of interest to those in the top 6 plus St Mirren, Dundee United and Motherwell with everyone else having more Important matters in the league just now. The fact that there are more League one teams in the last 32 than Championship teams would indicate that the clubs may also see it this way this season.

I think it's more about not being able to go to the games rather than anything deeper than that.

Not being on the season ticket will undeniably have something to do with it. Also some amount of ties between sides who would otherwise play at least four times in the league.

As for Clyde, we've regularly been out the cup pre-Christmas, on a number of occasions to teams in our own division. We've been knocked out by a number of Highland league teams, and not in front of a terrifying atmosphere. It has meant not being in the draw when the bigger sides come in. It's hard to enjoy that. I had probably switched off from it quite a bit.

Last season we had a proper cup-tie at Bonnyrigg. Muddy pitch under the floodlights, sold-out capacity crowd crammed in and a late winner. A whole week of anticipation, ending in an absolutely brilliant day out, and topped off by a money-spinning draw the next day. If every year could be like that it would be magic. 

On 02/04/2021 at 15:14, realmadrid said:

I've noticed a lot of fans saying they are not bothered about the cup this year in the match threads.

I really hope its a one off as the decline of the FA Cup happened very fast , probably around the time Man U had to withdraw one season to play in the World club championship.

I appreciate those in the league one have a game every 3 days just now but it looks like the cup is only of interest to those in the top 6 plus St Mirren, Dundee United and Motherwell with everyone else having more Important matters in the league just now. The fact that there are more League one teams in the last 32 than Championship teams would indicate that the clubs may also see it this way this season.

you get the impression that the media cant really be arsed and that doesnt help

you get the impression that the media cant really be arsed and that doesnt help

Tbf you couldn’t move for cameras at Brora yesterday. Suspect they had it in mind for one of the main matches on Sportscene but changed their plans because of the outcome [emoji38]

2 hours ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Tbf you couldn’t move for cameras at Brora yesterday. Suspect they had it in mind for one of the main matches on Sportscene but changed their plans because of the outcome emoji38.png

Enjoyed the live updates from BT Sport although their reporter gave several different pronunciations of Ayrton Sonkur’s name!

On 02/04/2021 at 15:14, realmadrid said:

Qualification for the Europa League play-off round with guaranteed group stage games either in that competition or the Conference League?

8 hours ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Tbf you couldn’t move for cameras at Brora yesterday. Suspect they had it in mind for one of the main matches on Sportscene but changed their plans because of the outcome emoji38.png

im shocked to hear that,given how poor the highlights were on sportscene

8 hours ago, Clayhole Blue said:

I seriously doubt those were BBC cameras. At least, not specifically for highlights purposes. It’s possible they were filming a “feature” for tonight’s highlights show.

If the BBC pick a game for extended highlights with a proper OB, they’ll stick to those plans no matter what. But even if they were to decide only to show the goals from such a game, they would still make use of those cameras. They wouldn’t go “sod it, let’s just show the goals from a shite angle that’s partially obstructed by the linesman”. 

There is a special feature done fir tonight's sportscene on the Brora v stranraer game. Connie mclaughlin was doing updates fir Bt. While the BBC had cameras Brora had theirs and we had ours. Heres my edit on the game.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

I seriously doubt those were BBC cameras. At least, not specifically for highlights purposes. It’s possible they were filming a “feature” for tonight’s highlights show.

If the BBC pick a game for extended highlights with a proper OB, they’ll stick to those plans no matter what. But even if they were to decide only to show the goals from such a game, they would still make use of those cameras. They wouldn’t go “sod it, let’s just show the goals from a shite angle that’s partially obstructed by the linesman”. 

It could be that they’d planned it for some sort of alternative highlights package, but just decided to wrap it when they saw there was no major story coming out of the tie.

They’ve got previous, having done it with Albion Rovers v Motherwell in 2013.

We will never know but I wonder if having the 3rd round at this time of year with yesterdays weather would have resulted in a big increase in gates as against the same set of fixtures in January.

I feel for the likes of Clyde who have games every 2 days and this must be a frustrating extra but in a normal season could the cup start slightly later and then be more compact.

League wise games could be moved to a March or April midweek where clashes occurred and the top flight have pitch protection so could use the extra days in January and February to play league games. The rapid flow to the cup this season now has a good bit of interest.

My main thought on this is how many times do a team from further down the pyramid get a big tie and then have it postponed a few times before being played on a Monday or Tuesday with a fraction of the away attendance.  You would certainly have had big away supports in the highlands from Hearts in the last round and Motherwell in this due to the complete novelty of the tie. 

2 hours ago, Toby said:

It could be that they’d planned it for some sort of alternative highlights package, but just decided to wrap it when they saw there was no major story coming out of the tie.

They’ve got previous, having done it with Albion Rovers v Motherwell in 2013.

Please don't remind me of that game...... I was there and it still haunts me to this day.

37 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

We will never know but I wonder if having the 3rd round at this time of year with yesterdays weather would have resulted in a big increase in gates as against the same set of fixtures in January.

I feel for the likes of Clyde who have games every 2 days and this must be a frustrating extra but in a normal season could the cup start slightly later and then be more compact.

League wise games could be moved to a March or April midweek where clashes occurred and the top flight have pitch protection so could use the extra days in January and February to play league games. The rapid flow to the cup this season now has a good bit of interest.

My main thought on this is how many times do a team from further down the pyramid get a big tie and then have it postponed a few times before being played on a Monday or Tuesday with a fraction of the away attendance.  You would certainly have had big away supports in the highlands from Hearts in the last round and Motherwell in this due to the complete novelty of the tie. 

To keep this season's schedule in a normal season would almost certainly require the permanent binning of replays. 

Of course, having the 3rd round  (or 4th, depending on the specific structure) on a nice Spring/Summer day could be achieved by a moving of the footballing window such that it encapsulates an alternative set of months in the year...

4656346-concept-for-the-idiom-of-a-open- 

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Gossip column saying that it’ll be at Hampden with no fans. Ibrox, Celtic Park and Murrayfield all rejected the chance to host the final.

Or were shown the list of conditions attached and said "f**k that".

ETA, its more likely that Ibrox and Celtic park are relaying pitches. Apparently Murrayfield has an eggchasing game on that day.

Edited by Leith Green

Tynecastle, Pittodrie, Easter Road even Rugby Park would all do.

I think it did mention that others were approached but no joy.

Tynecastle would have been excellent but no chance Hearts would agree to that.