2020/2021 Scottish Cup

Burnie_man

It's all about viewing figures too. This Queens Park experiment will gather a few eyeballs and Dundee will pull in a few more stragglers than Caley would (even if it's just DABs hoping we completely embarrass ourselves).

Probably looking at a team from the highest division combined with the chance of an upset as well. QoS - QP are a decent enough shout for that I suppose. Elgin getting a shock result against Ayr and Falkirk getting an upset against Arbroath might have been good value as well but location probably factored into those two.

Given the weather outlook I’m not sure why people are surprised they have gone for two games that have the best chance of being on and have readily available facilities for cameras etc 
I'm not sure why the Queens Park game is any more likely to go ahead than the Thistle game a couple of miles away* there are a few other ties in stadia from which there have been live games recently (including Kelty in the last round). Please explain why a game has less chance of going ahead at Indodrill than Dens.

*if it was going to be on TV we'd probably switch the heating on.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's all about viewing figures too. This Queens Park experiment will gather a few eyeballs and Dundee will pull in a few more stragglers than Caley would (even if it's just DABs hoping we completely embarrass ourselves).

Surely the draw in these early ties is the ‘wee village takes on giants angle’.  Dundee vs Bonnyrigg has that.  Queens vs Queens offers nothing.  

5 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Given the weather outlook I’m not sure why people are surprised they have gone for two games that have the best chance of being on and have readily available facilities for cameras etc 

That’s true,  however even if the likes of Buckie are ignored as possible hosts. Then surely clubs like east fife, Forfar etc who have experience in this and have very good odds on being on whilst having more interesting ties would be selected.

12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Yes.  I agree with the highland tie being first choice, but could understand BBC reluctance that it might not go ahead.   You were at worst 2nd choice.  

Oh, to be so box office...

3 Ways to Look Sad - wikiHow

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Just now, parsforlife said:

Surely the draw in these early ties is the ‘wee village takes on giants angle’.  Dundee vs Bonnyrigg has that.  Queens vs Queens offers nothing.  

BBC will want another fairytale Gretna story and to be able to say they were there from the beginning. (I know nothing of QP's financial situation just that they seem to have spunked loads of it)

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

BBC will want another fairytale Gretna story and to be able to say they were there from the beginning. (I know nothing of QP's financial situation just that they seem to have spunked loads of it)

The selling point of ‘going pro’ has a story.  Especially since it’s certainly not something they are holding back on.  I see the intrigue. However they’ve already sold that story in the last round.(as well as multiple times elsewhere).      What’s to be gained by having another couple of players ‘seeing an opportunity to play for an ambitious club’ and a fan ‘just enjoying the ride after tough times’?  

It’s been done,  tell one of the many others that deserve to be heard. 

30 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's all about viewing figures too. This Queens Park experiment will gather a few eyeballs 

lol wut

It's a bog-standard Betfred Cup group match that nobody would touch with a bargepole being played out here. Typical, absolutely howling claim from yourself.

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

lol wut

It's a bog-standard Betfred Cup group match that nobody would touch with a bargepole being played out here. Typical, absolutely howling claim from yourself.

It's much more likely to get a few casual viewers than your shite mob tbf.

Personally, I am loving the Queens Park fairytale story and can’t wait to see where it takes them. Queens v Queens: who will win? The TV audience.

I look forward to seeing Ray McKinnon on the telly. I want to see what he’s wearing these days and see if he’s found a jumper that fits him.

Sure bbc only choose the Queens clash for logistical reasons the stadium is set up for tv, easy travel for bbc staff  and the game wil def be on, other more attractive ties could be called off due to the weather at the moment.  As it is am happy they are showing this game, hopefully the South can continue their current winning run and a copy of the 1-3 result in the league cup earlier in the season will do fine. 

25 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Sure bbc only choose the Queens clash for logistical reasons the stadium is set up for tv, easy travel for bbc staff  and the game wil def be on, other more attractive ties could be called off due to the weather at the moment.  As it is am happy they are showing this game, hopefully the South can continue their current winning run and a copy of the 1-3 result in the league cup earlier in the season will do fine. 

I was thinking that Queen's Park had already moved into Lesser Hampden, but they are indeed still "next door".

So there might be some method in the madness from the BBC. if we put aside home and away ordering (due to lack of fans), they're the two most attractive games with established infrastructure for broadcast, and likely not to have a frozen pitch (assuming the undersoil heating is switched on - which I'd assume it will be for both games).