2020/2021 Scottish Cup

Burnie_man

19 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, the pyramid is still finding it's way. Give it 2 or 3 seasons and the cream will rise to the top, as they say.  There's clearly teams in the league below other teams who are far better from L2 down.  Brechin City being the shining example.  They're no where near good enough to be as high as tier 4.

2014/5 was the first playoff year and only twice has clubs been promoted from tier 5 since then. That ratio might have changed last season but we’ll never know. When Montrose and Brora contested the first playoff everyone in L2 was convinced Montrose would go. They won the fixture and have pushed on to compete well in tier 3. Wasn’t that long ago that full-time clubs in tiers 3 and 4 didn’t happen but now there’s about half. There’s maybe 3 at tier 5 who could have a sustained go in tier 4 and it’s still unclear who will be in the next wave. Of course, some who come up from the non-league status might return there quickly.  As much as it chokes me to say it, the SPFL strategy of purging the weak seems to be improving the lower leagues.

It’s surely just a matter of time though that the Lowland pyramid will start pressing for change with regard to promotions. There’s currently 128 teams  playing in nine leagues over tiers 5-7 in the Lowland structure. The Highland league has 16 teams, one league, one tier. Yet both are offered just one team into the L2 playoff semi-final. Too much money being invested for clubs to sit back and tolerate that for long.

Anyone able to give any insight as to what standard Dundonald Bluebell are? We're obviously massive favourites, but interested to hear where they are in comparison to the likes of bottom of League Two/Lowland etc. My vague knowledge of the former juniors doesn't really exist beyond the West! 

44 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Wasn’t that long ago that full-time clubs in tiers 3 and 4 didn’t happen but now there’s about half. 

Lol wut

The total is not even remotely 'half' and the only reason why two of the current full-time outfits are there is because they were too dogshit to stay in the second tier. There have been clubs like that in the third and fourth tiers throughout the last twenty years, including of course Greenock Morton.

There's no overall trend towards greater full-time professionalisation (how part-time teams train/compete) is a different manner and if anything the pandemic is likely to push more clubs towards a hybrid model rather than sustaining an entirely full-time structure in the second tier.

17 hours ago, Ginaro said:

The player was only ineligible if his SCC suspension applied to the Glasgow Uni game in round 2 of the 2020-21 cup. The confusion comes from the fact that his suspension was earned in the quarter-final of the 2019-20 edition, so they might've thought he would be suspended for the (yet to be played) semi-final instead. Which is presumably why the SFA have cited "exceptional circumstances" and censured HOB rather than exclude them.

They didn't hold back his suspension for the challenge cup though as that dropped off following the Glasgow Uni game.

They didnt reinstate that specific suspension either,they reinstated his next 1st team match as that shouldn't have dropped off.

Confusing stuff and a wee bit different from your observation but doesn't fit right and the SFA  could've at least acknowledged ww here. 

Interesting how Haws kept right out of it as well. 

But aye time to move on because the club has been blatantly ignored here. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Anyone able to give any insight as to what standard Dundonald Bluebell are? We're obviously massive favourites, but interested to hear where they are in comparison to the likes of bottom of League Two/Lowland etc. My vague knowledge of the former juniors doesn't really exist beyond the West! 

Tier 6 EoS Premier League, currently mid-table. Think Hurlford.

3 hours ago, an86 said:

They'd be bottom-end SPFL2... lower-half LL... top-half WOSL... on current strength.

This surely has to be a world first. Two brothers scoring from direct corners on the same day for two different teams in the same round of a competition. Just imagining the two brothers on the phone to each other, buzzing to tell each other about what they accomplished yesterday.

Had a wee look through their squad and see that there are 4 ex Fifers amongst them. Durie, Wedderburn, Mutch and Cargill. Of the 4 I would say that Cargill was probably the best, but that was a while ago and all 4 have dropped quite a considerable level since playing with us. I would think Q.P will be far too strong for Dundonald.

16 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Were either of you at the Alamo?

Prefer Avis tbh. 

10 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

2014/5 was the first playoff year and only twice has clubs been promoted from tier 5 since then. That ratio might have changed last season but we’ll never know. When Montrose and Brora contested the first playoff everyone in L2 was convinced Montrose would go. They won the fixture and have pushed on to compete well in tier 3. Wasn’t that long ago that full-time clubs in tiers 3 and 4 didn’t happen but now there’s about half. There’s maybe 3 at tier 5 who could have a sustained go in tier 4 and it’s still unclear who will be in the next wave. Of course, some who come up from the non-league status might return there quickly.  As much as it chokes me to say it, the SPFL strategy of purging the weak seems to be improving the lower leagues.

It’s surely just a matter of time though that the Lowland pyramid will start pressing for change with regard to promotions. There’s currently 128 teams  playing in nine leagues over tiers 5-7 in the Lowland structure. The Highland league has 16 teams, one league, one tier. Yet both are offered just one team into the L2 playoff semi-final. Too much money being invested for clubs to sit back and tolerate that for long.

It's got to be noted that there hasn't been a single season yet in which a former Junior club has been in the play-off final, and only one season in which it could have been possible. There have been 5 play-offs, the L2 side has won three times and the challenger twice, one of the wins for the L2 side was on penalties and another was pretty odd.

It's also telling that neither of the relegated SPFL sides have come close to challenging for promotion from the Lowland League, though East Stirling and doing well this season (still got humped 4-1 by Tranent, though).

Having watched the game yesterday I have no doubt that Kelty and Bonnyrigg are considerably better than that Brechin team, and when clubs like Auchinleck Talbot are challenging there will surely be considerable movement out of the SPFL. 

Bit of ill-discipline from LTHV with the second of two red cards. Despite the twitter comments, the ref got the first red correct as the GK tripped the attacker without attempting to play the ball. Fantastic save from the sub goalie - his first ever touch in senior football apparently.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

Prefer Avis tbh. 

It's got to be noted that there hasn't been a single season yet in which a former Junior club has been in the play-off final, and only one season in which it could have been possible. There have been 5 play-offs, the L2 side has won three times and the challenger twice, one of the wins for the L2 side was on penalties and another was pretty odd.

It's also telling that neither of the relegated SPFL sides have come close to challenging for promotion from the Lowland League, though East Stirling and doing well this season (still got humped 4-1 by Tranent, though).

Having watched the game yesterday I have no doubt that Kelty and Bonnyrigg are considerably better than that Brechin team, and when clubs like Auchinleck Talbot are challenging there will surely be considerable movement out of the SPFL. 

“Clubs like Auchinleck Talbot”. Who else is like them? 

It’s also fair to say that the assumptions being made that the inevitability is dependant on SFL2 teams not reacting to what’s happening. QP, Elgin and Stirling have all toughened up. Other than Brechin (who were in the Championship a few years ago), Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath I’d say the rest will be hard to displace. 

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

“Clubs like Auchinleck Talbot”. Who else is like them? 

It’s also fair to say that the assumptions being made that the inevitability is dependant on SFL2 teams not reacting to what’s happening. QP, Elgin and Stirling have all toughened up. Other than Brechin (who were in the Championship a few years ago), Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath I’d say the rest will be hard to displace. 

Also in the Championship a few years ago (along with Rangers, Hibs and Hearts).

23 hours ago, an86 said:

Watched my kid play their under 20s there last year. The slope is one that provides a game of two halves especially if the wind is blowing hard.