2020/2021 Scottish Cup

Burnie_man

Ahead of preliminary round 2 I looked at the club rankings that @mcruic had put together and used them to predict* the match results. http://scotscores.theroonba.com/clubrank/clubrank.html * (the home teams do get a small boost in the predictions)

Almost all the results were correct - the rankings only got five games wrong: big upset at BSC v Haddington, Tynecastle losing to Colts, and three which were quite close in rankings anyway (Wick, Berwick, Rothes).

This round the rankings predict Stenhousemuir, Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath, Bonnyrigg, Kelty to win. Stirling Albion, Queen's Park, Tranent should also win but for the rest the matches will be close. Useful to have these matches to see how strong the leagues are.

Edited by Ginaro

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I've seen that site before but cannot see the algorithm he uses to calculate rankings.

Can you enlighten me?

It was in the Junior forum, the poster explains it from here, and they posted about a few tweaks later in the thread.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Huntly P-P Cumbernauld and tries again on Wednesday night.

They'd have just got an orange ball and some brushes out in days yonder.

EqJkOnTXIAE6Z54?format=jpg&name=large

Meadowbank played Cowden at Central Park in the early 1990s. Cowden were expecting the ref to put the game off due to snow but the ref decided the pitch was playable and ordered an orange ball be used ..

Of course the Blue Brazil didn't have one and a club official had to get the manager of Intersport in Cowdenbeath High Street to open up so they could buy one...

Thanks to Covid I shall be tucked up nice and warm watching the Edinburgh City game online rather than sheltering in the back of the stand as the gales blaw rain in right up to the back row.

The weather might be a leveller but I can see a couple of scuffed shots caught by the wind getting us through.

17 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

What's your thoughts on it,do you think they have a point HJ?

Only seen those details which are online NB so who knows.

There do seem 2 strange aspects to the scenario:

(1) chap was suspended in last season's South Challenge Cup which is being finished this season; but argument looks to revolve around him having to serve it in this season's R2 (on Nov 21st v Glasgow Uni); not in last season's SF (due on February 3rd v Dunipace)... and that doing so should have meant another ban he had accumulated this season would have been served in league game + Scottish Cup PR2 tie / not in South Challenge Cup R2 + league game. Think that's basic situation?

(2) SFA issued their weekly disciplinary list showing his suspension as served and free to play in Scottish Cup PR2.

Odd all round.

I've considerable sympathy for the player who seems to have become the eye of a storm entirely not of his doing. From what I can see he's now ended-up serving ban v Keith today which probably feels rough to him personally.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

First round of the William Hill Scottish Cup and William Hill's aren't offering odds on any of the games?

Unless you've got a time machine this is no longer a competition sponsored by any bookmaker. Mcbookie had the odds before the games started, with only the Albion Rovers and Brechin games now in play.

34 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

(1) chap was suspended in last season's South Challenge Cup which is being finished this season; but argument looks to revolve around him having to serve it in this season's R2 (on Nov 21st v Glasgow Uni); not in last season's SF (due on February 3rd v Dunipace)... and that doing so should have meant another ban he had accumulated this season would have been served in league game + Scottish Cup PR2 tie / not in South Challenge Cup R2 + league game. Think that's basic situation?

(2) SFA issued their weekly disciplinary list showing his suspension as served and free to play in Scottish Cup PR2.

Didn't help that the SFA removed the SCC suspension as well as a first team game at the same time to confuse matters. Did the SFA or LL etc ever issue a clarification about the two SCC competitions overlapping or did they not even consider this situation?

I also noticed the suspensions lists don't contain either of the Haddington players sent off at BSC in the previous round - just as well neither are on the team sheet! Cuts in the SFA disciplinary department...?

It's clear that the punishment takes into account the circumstances and WW should stop moaning.