2020/2021 Scottish Cup

Burnie_man

• 5 weeks later...
9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Take it we are no further forward with this?

HL announcement probably doesn't mean anything short term as they still "intend" to play in November but I would imagine that's not actually going to happen.

When the Lowland League put up their fixture list they listed the dates for the Scottish Cup. Pretty sure that follows the SPFL 42 + 10 non league model but with some slight optimism for Preliminary Rounds to include it with a question mark. At this point there's probably more clubs happy to pocket the £5k than there were in the Summer.

image.png.12c6306eddd0f8144910f7cdf2dc5d47.png

• 4 weeks later...

Format confirmed https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-cup-202021-format-confirmed/?rid=2107&fbclid=IwAR1NXmVYv6HXLMSTTFwot1GV_-tIiV__MYzM6-Y8-3BFgJsvz6pdkzCil5M

Great to see that it's not the much reduced format mooted before. Still be interesting to see if everyone plays. Especially Talbot.

The new format has been announced by the SFA, and it's not really in line with any of the ones outlined here. Thankfully it includes every eligible team, kicking off with two preliminary rounds in November and December and then Round 1 on Boxing Day.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-cup-202021-format-confirmed/?rid=2107

They've called it a reduced format, which it is, but the round names are a bit of a red herring, since the 2nd Preliminary Round is not really a million miles off the usual Round 1, and then there's a knock on effect on all the round names from there. I guess that is mainly to get round sponsorship issues with the two tournaments overlapping.

Edited by craigkillie

Just now, craigkillie said:

The new format has been announced by the SFA, and it's not really in line with any of the ones outlined here. Thankfully it includes every eligible team, kicking off with two preliminary rounds in November and December and then Round 1 on Boxing Day.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-cup-202021-format-confirmed/?rid=2107

Hearts in round 3 :lol: 

Utterly delighted to get every eligible team playing. 

The change in format, barring the names of rounds am I correct in thinking it’s essentially  the same format as before with the top 4 championship sides entering a round earlier and as a result no need to play PR1?

If so that’s a better format than what went before.

Removal of replays is understandable given the late start but hopefully they come back next year, they are a great feature of our game.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Over the moon with that.

Only absentee I can think of is the Amateur Cup winner, although I'm guessing that competition was just scrapped in March?

Not sure if the 2019-20 Amateur Cup has been officially voided. I think both the Amateur & Juniors Cups are still undecided with the hopes they could be completed.

7 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Over the moon with that.

Only absentee I can think of is the Amateur Cup winner, although I'm guessing that competition was just scrapped in March?

No EJFA or NJFA champion qualifiers due to both leagues being declared null and void.   No amateur or junior cup qualifier due to both being delayed.  

Just reading it over properly and noticed the bit about handling postponements.

The requirement to attempt to re-schedule any postponed match in the Preliminary Rounds, Round One and Round Two, during the first midweek after the original match date.

Can't remember the exact number of clubs that don't have floodlights now. Think Girvan, Golsipie Sutherland, and Wigtown & Bladnoch are ones still lacking them?

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Can't remember the exact number of clubs that don't have floodlights now. Think Girvan, Golsipie Sutherland, and Wigtown & Bladnoch are ones still lacking them?

And Burntisland (though they now have big holes in the ground). Wigtown could use Newton Stewart's ground, Shippy have Stark's Park or other licensed grounds in Fife, Golspie are along the road from Brora. Girvan don't have anyone close though tbh I doubt they'll be playing this season.

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I hope they allow clubs to make alternative arrangements, playing at a nearby floodlight pitch where needed,  indeed clubs could possibly use any Covid restrictions requiring no crowds to justify playing at grounds that wouldn’t be suitable for crowds( like high school pitches)

Sensible format rejig and far preferable to wholly excluding 54/64 non-league while admitting 6/10 Championship deeper than usual.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Thankfully it includes every eligible team, kicking off with two preliminary rounds in November and December

If only a few entrants scratch - Preliminary R1 on Nov 28th will evaporate entirely.

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Hearts in round 3 :lol: 

In theory Hearts could win Scottish Cup on Sunday 20th December and starts its defence just 19 days later on Friday 8th January 😮...

5 hours ago, gogsy said:

Fraserburgh SLFL runners up 😄

Initially the list seemed to show Fraserburgh twice.

Perhaps confusion occurred as Inverurie were 2nd in HL (on 59pts from 28 games) when it was abandoned and awarded to Brora.

However very belatedly - only early this autumn IIRC - HL decided to apply PPG, which lifted Fraserburgh from 3rd into 2nd (on 55pts from 23 games), and plunged Inverurie to 5th.

5 hours ago, parsforlife said:

The change in format, barring the names of rounds am I correct in thinking it’s essentially  the same format as before with the top 4 championship sides entering a round earlier and as a result no need to play PR1?

If so that’s a better format than what went before.

Prettymuch - albeit see observation above regarding 'new' PR1.

Incidentally, although Auchinleck and Girvan have withdrawn from West of Scotland League and South Challenge Cup, they could legitimately raise XIs and still enter Scottish Cup.

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

This was qualifier situation:

South & East of Scotland Cup-Winners' Shield ... Musselburgh
West Juniors (now deceased) ... Auchinleck (on PPG)
EOS League... won by licensed member Bo'ness
SOS League + North Juniors + East Juniors... null-&-void
Junior Cup + Amateur Cup... incomplete

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Burntisland*, Girvan, Golspie, Wigtown
*work underway
(Auchinleck have installed lights but not sure if they've played a game under them yet - if so must have been a friendly)

Edited by HibeeJibee

Given the requirement for changing rooms for home, away and match officials, that could lead to a few clubs withdrawing depending on the updated guidelines being issued by the SFA this week.    If they introduce a shuttle system (5/6 players in, change, out and then the next 5/6) then all well and good, otherwise you may see a few clubs just taking the money and scratching as they simply wont be able to meet the requirement.

Also, will Talbot and Girvan really field scratch teams given they have guaranteed payments coming their way?  I can see there being just one PR round, but great that everyone has the option of playing.

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Also, will Talbot and Girvan really field scratch teams given they have guaranteed payments coming their way?  I can see there being just one PR round, but great that everyone has the option of playing.

Girvan don't have floodlights and have lost some of their squad. I don't think they'd go through all the hassle required.

Auchinleck Talbot might see 💰💰💰in a cup run. Not a lot of their squad has left to go elsewhere and it would give them something to focus on.