Groundhop 2020 dates

The Scottish Groundhop
20 – 22 March 2020

Interesting to view the "Promotion Blurb" by GroundhopUK - https://groundhopuk.wordpress.com/scottish-hop-2/

"Here’s our annual jaunt North of the border, and boy, do we have some cracking grounds for you this year! As always, this is going to be the Hop not to miss!!

The fixtures we have planned will feature five matches from the East of Scotland League, and one from the Lowland League. We begin on Friday evening with a visit to Broxburn Athletic  as they face Camelon Juniors to start the proceedings at 7.45pm. Our Saturday is spent in the South side of Edinburgh, and we start at Dalkeith Thistle (11.15am) as they host Peebles Rovers, before we enjoy our Lowland League fixture at Bonnyrigg Rose that sees former League side Berwick Rangers provide the opposition at 2pm. From here, it’s onto Easthouses Lily for a 5pm kick off against Haddington Athletic, and finally to Newtongrange Star at 7.45pm in a mouth-watering clash with Linlithgow Rose. In case you hadn’t noticed, it’s Thistle, Rose, Lily and Rose again....Flower of Scotland indeed!! On Sunday, we have another classic ground to enjoy, this time at Bo’ness United as they face Penicuik Athletic at 12.15pm before we head back South.  

Six fantastic matches in our favoured format for the weekend, and whilst we hope there’s no issues, we always add the proviso that games are subject to amendment or cancellation."

March 20-22 - Scottish hop (GHUK)

Hop schedule fixtures are as follows:

Friday March 20
Broxburn v Camelon 7.45pm

Saturday March 21
Dalkeith v Peebles 11.15am
Bonnyrigg v Berwick 2.00pm (LL)
Easthouses v Haddington 5.00pm
Newtongrange v Linlithgow 7.45pm

Sunday March 22
Bo'ness v Penicuik 12.15pm

29 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

A friend of mine was looking at this but it seemed the price they were quoting to join included travel from London, even if you lived in Edinburgh?

That's just for the organised trip, last year I just used my own transport to get to the different grounds, so did plenty of others.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

That's just for the organised trip, last year I just used my own transport to get to the different grounds, so did plenty of others.

At last year's Hop many of the spectators seemed to be either fairly local or had booked their own accommodation and arranged their own transport.

2 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

At last year's Hop many of the spectators seemed to be either fairly local or had booked their own accommodation and arranged their own transport.

There was one coach from England is I'm right. Attendances were around 150-200 more than the averages for these clubs. So roughly 2/3rd of the "extra" visitors have arranged their own trip or lived local.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

A friend of mine was looking at this but it seemed the price they were quoting to join included travel from London, even if you lived in Edinburgh?

You can buy various combinations of packages... Some people buy tickets + hotel + transport, some only tickets + hotel and use their own cars, some tickets alone (especially if they live in this part of the world)... However there is very little saving (if any) on tickets as a package - so most people will just pay at the gate if they're not using the organisers own transport or hotel.

Probably more of those informal 'hoppers than "official" ones, tbh.

No need to join the official coach.

The Saturday is easily achievable this year using public transport from Edinburgh, or indeed walking it. I'm probably dumping my car at Newtongrange for the day and then walking around the grounds. Longest leg is about three miles and just manageable in the gap between the games.

Alternatively two of the three legs are served by reuglar buses, the longest leg will likely need a change in Dalkeith but I haven't bothered checking up on that yet.

24 minutes ago, sponsorsladdie said:

7:45 KO away to nitten. I’d say that there may be a fair few Rose fans not bothering with that game

Why because its something different. For a ckub that was so far in front at one point how do you get so far behind in thinking. I'd support my team whatever time they r playing 

39 minutes ago, sponsorsladdie said:

7:45 KO away to nitten. I’d say that there may be a fair few Rose fans not bothering with that game

Think Linlithgow benefited from a higher than normal attendance last year when you hosted the late Saturday groundhop game. 

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The Saturday is easily achievable this year using public transport from Edinburgh, or indeed walking it. I'm probably dumping my car at Newtongrange for the day and then walking around the grounds. Longest leg is about three miles and just manageable in the gap between the games.

Alternatively two of the three legs are served by reuglar buses, the longest leg will likely need a change in Dalkeith but I haven't bothered checking up on that yet.

Spot on. Even for the ambulatory challenged, a day ticket on Lothian buses is only £4.50. Get yourself out to Dalkeith for the first game (pubs galore there), frequent buses to Bonnyrigg ( 49, 139, 140) for the next game (only a 10 minute run), back to Dalkeith and a 3 or 48 to Easthouses, then the same bus takes you to Nitten although you could walk off some of the beer as it’s no distance at all. 
I’m certainly looking forward to all this on my doorstep although I might give Easthouses a miss and go home for my tea 😂

https://www.lothianbuses.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Network_Map_191117.pdf

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Between the Bonnyrigg and Easthouses games, number 49 bus back into Dakeith, then number 48 to Easthouses.

3 hours ago, sponsorsladdie said:

Dunno, that sounds like a decent away day+evening, not far from the station for getting one of the last two trains home.

Edited by Ginaro

Linlithgow v Jeanfield was the Saturday night game last season and drew a Scottish groundhop record of 618.

Perhaps more riding on it as both sides had outside chances of catching Broxburn.

Recall a good number of Jeanfield fans travelled - made a night of it.

Am looking forward to that one![emoji106]

A early or late afternoon KO is ok on a sat but I can’t be arsed with sat nights.

Ruins a weekend for players too I’m sure most will normally have family time or a drink/few on a sat evening since they can’t/shouldn’t on a fri. They have to be there for 6:15-6:45 add on travel time and then once a game finishes they will be lucky to be home by 10:45

25 minutes ago, sponsorsladdie said:

A early or late afternoon KO is ok on a sat but I can’t be arsed with sat nights.

Ruins a weekend for players too I’m sure most will normally have family time or a drink/few on a sat evening since they can’t/shouldn’t on a fri. They have to be there for 6:15-6:45 add on travel time and then once a game finishes they will be lucky to be home by 10:45

They've had 9 months to plan for it, I'm sure they'll cope.