Groundhop 2020 dates

Let's hope the juniors are prepared for an invasion of real ale swillers, demanding programmes,team sheets,at least 6 choices of meal, 5 different real ales etc etc ! I'm a groundhopper and realise these clubs are run by volunteers SO i expect just a game. Just back from Glasgow all arranged myself, looked around the places as well. Try and enjoy it ⚽

Just now, Andy groundhopper said:

Let's hope the juniors are prepared for an invasion of real ale swillers, demanding programmes,team sheets,at least 6 choices of meal, 5 different real ales etc etc ! I'm a groundhopper and realise these clubs are run by volunteers SO i expect just a game. Just back from Glasgow all arranged myself, looked around the places as well. Try and enjoy it ⚽

The Juniors aren't taking part in this groundhop mate.

A window appears to be opening which would enable a EOSFL hop in early October each season followed by a WOSFL hop in mid-March.

At the moment in 2020/21 season there are likely to be two EOSFL ground hops - one in October and the other in March?  Suggest that it would be magnanimous for the EOSFL to offer the March slot to the newly formed WOSFL.

Do you agree?

I think a Groundhop in the shiny new WOSL would be a terrific idea.

I'd suggest a Saturday line-up with trips to Muirkirk, Lugar, Glenafton and a finale of Cumnock v Talbot at the beautiful floodlit arena of Townhead Park.

Ticks a lot of boxes for the visitors, including the morning game reasonably close to their normal digs in EK. Their bus could even detour to the Bill Shankly memorial at Glenbuck.

• 6 months later...

Line up for 2021 is:

Friday 19 March
Bo'ness United v Kelty Hearts 7:45
(Alternative: LTHV v Penicuik Athletic 7:30)

Saturday 20 March
Dalkeith Thistle v Edinburgh South 11:15
Bonnyrigg Rose v Berwick Rangers 2:00
(Alternatives: Haddington Athletic v Kirkcaldy & Dysart 2:30; Tranent v Tynecastle 2:30: Preston Athletic v Lochore Welfare 2:30)
Easthouses Lily v Glenrothes 5:00
Newtongrange Star v Linlithgow Rose 7:30

Sunday 21 March
Broxburn Athletic v Sauchie 2:15

Mon the alternatives!

Different in Scotland, most groundhops in England are usually based around the one league, Western, Hellenic, South West etc. Used to know quite a few hoppers,but got bored with their antics and the mantra that clubs MUST do these things to get our money. Hope they have a good time, my utmost respect for Laurence Reade and the work he does. I hope to be in Scotland for Nov, Jan and March,can't wait.

• 9 months later...

I bumped into one of the guys behind this at the game I was at last night.

He was saying (as per "subject to confirmation" above) that it's not yet confirmed whether Bo'ness will be the Friday game. If not it will be the Sunday game.

3 hours ago, LeedsPhil said:

I bumped into one of the guys behind this at the game I was at last night.

He was saying (as per "subject to confirmation" above) that it's not yet confirmed whether Bo'ness will be the Friday game. If not it will be the Sunday game.

Did he.

Bo'ness play Tuesday following.

• 3 months later...

Bump.

After a forced hiatus of 18 months the Scottish Groundhop returns this weekend and accordingly makes its autumn debut. It got underway tonight... where a crowd of 500-600 by my estimate saw an entertaining match finish Bo'ness United 3-1 Civil Service Strollers in often atrocious conditions. Delays on the road saw the hop coach arrive only 5-10mins before kickoff. Nicky Locke scored a spectacular effort for 3-1.

Tomorrow sees the traditional quadruple header with a Conference A showdown Dalkeith Thistle v Tweedmouth Rangers (11:15am)... followed by Lowland encounter Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic v Dalbeattie Star (2pm)... then Easthouses Lily v Glenrothes in Conference B (5pm)... and finally bottom v top and a local derby in the Premier at Newtongrange Star v Tranent (7:45pm). Lastly on Sunday it's a lunchtime contest in West Lothian with Broxburn Athletic v Dundonald Bluebell (12:15pm).

Hopefully the decent attendance tonight is repeated across the weekend, and all enjoy themselves.

Edited by HibeeJibee