Disney+

Mark Connolly

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Signed up for this yesterday as my daughter was nagging to see series 3 of a show called Miraculous, which is only available on it. Neither of my TV's can get the Disney Plus app, so may need to rig up a laptop or share a screen to watch on a decent sized screen. 

Our bedroom telly is a cheapo from Asda and has no modern connectivity, so we use a chromecast with the ipad for almost everything other than live terrestrial telly in there. Chromecast is a cracking wee device tbh, although I'm sure there are other devices with more options, like a firestick or roku stick.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Signed up for this yesterday as my daughter was nagging to see series 3 of a show called Miraculous, which is only available on it. Neither of my TV's can get the Disney Plus app, so may need to rig up a laptop or share a screen to watch on a decent sized screen. 

You got a ps4 etc? Disney works well on that

16 hours ago, scottsdad said:

+1 for the chromecast idea

18 hours ago, scottsdad said:

We had Netflix and Prime apps on our telly, and got Disney after Christmas only to find the app wasnt there and we couldn't add. Ended up getting a firestick which would highly recommend

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

Finished Love Victor tonight. Great to see more from the Simon verse. Good to see LGBT representation. Cannie wait for series two.

Same here, liked the way they left it at the end of the last episode. I've said before that it's a bit predictable and the finale was no different but I don't see that as a bad thing. Bring on series two!

On 25/03/2021 at 14:48, scottsdad said:

My kids discovered this a few months ago.

Have had the theme song stuck in my head ever since.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished the first series of "Falcon and the Winter Soldier" which seemed promising.

It's a good buddy story with a decent redemption arc for Bucky and good chemistry between the two leads. It's spoiled, I think, by a very poorly written (and cast) antagonist and intrusive political messaging that is condescending and, quite frankly, incongruous. 

The acting is good from Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan and the excellent Daniel Bruhl, but it's baffling why they cast someone so bad as the antagonist, not to mention her crew. The development of those characters, as well as their motivations, aren't remotely developed. We never find out who they are which is why I never ever give a crap what happens to them. The writing suffers from the failure to show rather than tell. We're variously told by other characters that Karli (the central antagonist) is brilliant, charismatic and intelligent, but she never really demonstrates any of those qualities. It shows a complete lack of imagination and faith on the part of the writers, as well as a huge insult to the intelligence of the viewer. She exhibits absolutely no charisma or presence, doesn't seem to be that intelligent and shows us no great initiative or guile. Add this to the fact that the actress playing her has no charisma or range and you end up with a fairly entitled teenage lassie and that's it. 

The political messaging is becoming almost expected. This is where the writers do decided to show rather than tell. They show us Sam getting stopped by police and them not recognising him, and then becoming super obsequious. We see Sam and his sister denied a loan. We hear Sam's sister tell the viewer that it's because they are black, but it's dishonest and manipulative and a bit jarring (we never see white people in similar circumstances receiving credit, and in fact the bank manager provides ample reason not to give credit, Sam hasn't registered any income for 5 years.....). There's also the inclusion of an earlier super soldier, Isaiah Bradley, who as a black super soldier was experimented on. It recalls the horrendous treatment of the Tuskegee Airmen after WW2 and is actually quite sensitively handled. It all felt overdone and melodramatic, leaving the viewer no space to think and form opinions of their own. I think there's space for political commentary in these types of series, in fact I love it when it can be worked in in a way that still stays true to the story, but when I feel like I'm being led to one conclusion then I tend to feel manipulated.

There is enough to get invested in. Bucky and Sam's relationship is warm, but the writing for the rest of the characters leaves a great deal to be desired.

• 4 weeks later...