Disney+

Mark Connolly

I'm probably more likely to spend £50 on a decent VPN and go back to torrenting tbh. This fragmentation of the streaming market does not serve the customer.

I remember reading somewhere that the reason music piracy went down was because of the size of the catalogue of apps like Spotify; you can get so much in one place for a reasonably price.

TV/film has basically went the other way, so piracy is bound to significantly increase again.

32 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm probably more likely to spend £50 on a decent VPN and go back to torrenting tbh. This fragmentation of the streaming market does not serve the customer.

Plex, Sonarr and some storage is all you need ;) 

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Aren't they still releasing episodes weekly over here even though it's done in the states?

Oh, are they? Didnt realise that. In which case, pay for one month, then renew, then cancel :lol:

There has been a lot of discussion in the media about which one of these companies' streaming services will succeed/fail first.

To be honest, they all are probably going to be fine as they're all massive companies. All these companies (bar Netflix) can afford to run their services as a loss leader.

Amazon Prime - Definitely safe - Amazon are a trillion dollar company
Apple TV+ - Same again - Apple are a trillion dollar company
Netflix - Have a LOT of uncertainty - May just survive/thrive due to realising what's up and being the first to innovate/original content
Disney+ - 100% safe  - Easy win for them, especially when they get Simpsons/Family Guy exclusively. There's enough disney Fiat 500 girls to keep it going for years at a profit.

HBO Now - May have some issues when they launch over here, probably safer selling their UK portion to Sky/Comcast, like they currently do.
BritBox - Could work, but I'm very, very skeptical.

Disney+ - 100% safe  - Easy win for them, especially when they get Simpsons/Family Guy exclusively. There's enough disney Fiat 500 girls to keep it going for years at a profit.

Disney+ won’t be showing Family Guy, actually it won’t be showing anything with a certificate over a 12a, but it has bought Hulu, which will be showing anything of a 15 or 18 nature, that’s where they’ll be showing the FOX stuff they now own and the Marvel titles that they got back from Netflix!!!
Suppose it means having to buy a subscription to that platform as well, they’re no daft!!!

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 00:47, ArabAuslander said:

Netflix - Have a LOT of uncertainty - May just survive/thrive due to realising what's up and being the first to innovate/original content

Was it not said recently they are like a billion dollars debt?

Disney are c$50 billion in debt and Apple over $100 billion. Different sized companies with different revenues etc but debt figures on their own dont always mean much.

Apple and Disney are certainly safe in terms of cash but given the streaming services are only, relatively, small parts of their business theres a chance one or both will pull out if they dont get the subscribers they're looking for.

The only show I've been impressed with on Apple is Servant, be interesting to see how many people bother renewing once their free year is up. Disney have a lack of original content atm, and no adult shows. Fine if you've got kids. Can't see Netflix being in any bother for those reasons.

21 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Looks like they came to some kind of deal over the Simpsons when they were negotiating to have the Disney+ app available over Sky boxes and NowTV.

As much as I dont want to give money to Sky, it does make more sense for consumers if all the different services can be accessed from a single subscription. I was surprised it took Sky so long to get Netflix on their boxes, so it wouldnt be a surprise if they did the same for Disney+

ETA - seems they've already announced that it will

Edited by Mr X

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

As much as I dont want to give money to Sky, it does make more sense for consumers if all the different services can be accessed from a single subscription. I was surprised it took Sky so long to get Netflix on their boxes, so it wouldnt be a surprise if they did the same for Disney+

Definitely helpful for people who have Smart TV’s too old to get the Disney+ app and don’t want to go through fire sticks/consoles etc too. Doesn’t sound like Now TV will be getting it at launch though, described as ‘coming months’ in the article I read.

Just now, Rodhull said:

Definitely helpful for people who have Smart TV’s too old to get the Disney+ app and don’t want to go through fire sticks/consoles etc too. Doesn’t sound like Now TV will be getting it at launch though, described as ‘coming months’ in the article I read.

Also helpful from a cost point of view - or at least it should be. Knowing Sky, they'll find a way to make it as expensive as possible <_<