Drag Queen Storytelling In Primary School

Blaze

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t like the way being non-judgemental is held up as a virtue, I don’t think it is. I certainly judge people for their behaviour, what they say, what they do.

As individuals, yes absolutely. Do you then take these judgements and apply them to a group of people who share one characteristic of the person you'd previously interacted with, read about or heard a story about? That's where it creates a negative environment IMO.

Can we please stop tip-toeing around the subject and trying to ensure we stay on the right side of political correctness; hiring a drag queen whose name is a play on the word 'blow job' to talk at a primary school is at the very least, inappropriate. 

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Can we please stop tip-toeing around the subject and trying to ensure we stay on the right side of political correctness; hiring a drag queen whose name is a play on the word 'blow job' to talk at a primary school is at the very least, inappropriate. 

But it got the MP and headteacher's name on the news so it's fine.

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

What was deleted here?

It was me, it’s my kids former school.

The issue that has caused the most concern with the parents I know is that he has posted a photo from the schools twitter onto his  public insta gram thread. In amongst his very sexualised content. The faces of some of the children were visible and identifiable. Not that a drag queen read them a story.

And let’s not kid ourselves that kids won’t have googled him and found some of the images available.

What is really sad is that school has huge issues which aren’t being tackled effectively. 

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

It was me, it’s my kids former school.

The issue that has caused the most concern with the parents I know is that he has posted a photo from the schools twitter onto his  public insta gram thread. In amongst his very sexualised content. The faces of some of the children were visible and identifiable. Not that a drag queen read them a story.

And let’s not kid ourselves that kids won’t have googled him and found some of the images available.

What is really sad is that school has huge issues which aren’t being tackled effectively. 

That's cool, I was informed of what it was and guessed it was yourself. I think the parents have a right for concern.

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

That's cool, I was informed of what it was and guessed it was yourself. I think the parents have a right for concern.

My original post was quoted so it’s still here. Just felt maybe I was bit too personal about the headteacher.

11 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont think a drag queen represents much of, well anything really. What springs to my mind when someone says drag Queen is an adult themed entertainment act. Of course then certain other assumptions come to mind about that persons lifestyle etc 

What assumptions would you make about their lifestyle?

I'm not having a dig or trying to trip you up, I'm just curious. 

24 minutes ago, yoda said:

What assumptions would you make about their lifestyle?

I'm not having a dig or trying to trip you up, I'm just curious. 

I know you arent. Most folk arent but too many times on here and elsewhere discussion is stifled by the immediate battle lines and wailing that goes on. 

Anyway FWIW I probably worded that section badly, so let me just pre empt the hard of thinking of the thread and say that I am not in anyway prejudiced over gender or sexuality. I wasnt wrong to say I would make assumptions, I was wrong to use the word lifestyle as the persons lifestyle is not relevant. I picked the wrong word there.

The assumption I or others (I didnt actually state I personally would leap to any assumptions, my post was fairly general in tone) might reach off the bat is that this persons chosen career, in the guise of which they presumably visited the school, and all that this career path entails, might be inappropriate for kids. Once again, I have no issues with a drag act in an adult setting but I do not believe it representative of the LBGT community. I do not automatically trust that the people making these decisions have thought it all the way through, and the details revealed about social media prove that to be correct. 

Unless this is curricular learning then the parents absolutely should have been given the heads up. I personally am very unlikely to ever intercept anything the school want to teach my kids, but I respect the right of others to do so if it impinges on their beliefs, even if I think their beliefs are wrong. 

I hope it's clear enough that I am in no way prejudiced against drag queens or anyone else. I think if you read what I write on the forum you will see I am pretty consistent I  being against bigotry but also accepting that often arguments like this arent as simple as just shouting BIGOT as loud and often as possible. Anyway, bit of a ramble, I generally see the benefit in there being some devils advocacy in these arguments but only an idiot (demonstrably in this case) can extract from that that I somehow have an issue with the person involved

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I know you arent. Most folk arent but too many times on here and elsewhere discussion is stifled by the immediate battle lines and wailing that goes on. 

Anyway FWIW I probably worded that section badly, so let me just pre empt the hard of thinking of the thread and say that I am not in anyway prejudiced over gender or sexuality. I wasnt wrong to say I would make assumptions, I was wrong to use the word lifestyle as the persons lifestyle is not relevant. I picked the wrong word there.

The assumption I or others (I didnt actually state I personally would leap to any assumptions, my post was fairly general in tone) might reach off the bat is that this persons chosen career, in the guise of which they presumably visited the school, and all that this career path entails, might be inappropriate for kids. Once again, I have no issues with a drag act in an adult setting but I do not believe it representative of the LBGT community. I do not automatically trust that the people making these decisions have thought it all the way through, and the details revealed about social media prove that to be correct. 

Unless this is curricular learning then the parents absolutely should have been given the heads up. I personally am very unlikely to ever intercept anything the school want to teach my kids, but I respect the right of others to do so if it impinges on their beliefs, even if I think their beliefs are wrong. 

I hope it's clear enough that I am in no way prejudiced against drag queens or anyone else. I think if you read what I write on the forum you will see I am pretty consistent I  being against bigotry but also accepting that often arguments like this arent as simple as just shouting BIGOT as loud and often as possible. Anyway, bit of a ramble, I generally see the benefit in there being some devils advocacy in these arguments but only an idiot (demonstrably in this case) can extract from that that I somehow have an issue with the person involved

Aye, so you say!