Drag Queen Storytelling In Primary School

Blaze

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think parents forget what they were like as weans. I remember a whole group of us in primary school crowded round a magazine of highly sexualised content, a hell of a lot more explicit than anything this drag queen would be doing.

And this was organised by the school?

I'll just put in my two penn'orth here..

Firstly, kids today are far more at ease discussing and understanding sexuality, gender issues and even the risks of sexual predators than my generation ever were. This is, I think we can agree, a largely positive thing. The best disinfectant is sunlight, after all.

Secondly - and this is for those whose hackles rise at the words "drag queen" in close proximity to "school" or "children" - In my career locking up some very dangerous sexual offenders, including child rapists and abusers, I have come across a handful who were cross-dressers of any variety - but many, many more who carried out their offences over a period of years behind the facade of trusted teachers, clergy, care staff, and more than any other type, family member.

It's not the people who want to out-fabulous each other you want to be careful of - they are, more likely than not, more than comfortable in their own identity. It's the respectable family member who spends just a wee bit too much time with the kids at family gatherings that may warrant watching.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyway, theres a reason why I dont get into it with Marshy. If you read Falkirk threads you will know. You and everyone else already know what he is like outwith Falkirk threads. For the benefit of this one, il crack on with ignoring him and discussing with those who have actual points to make. 

:( :( 

I asked you a very simple question because you were dancing around revealing yourself as having a weird prejudice in relation to this story time situation. Trying to build that into some kind of feud like we're on Friday Night Smackdown is quite the look.

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

:( :( 

I asked you a very simple question because you were dancing around revealing yourself as having a weird prejudice in relation to this story time situation. Trying to build that into some kind of feud like we're on Friday Night Smackdown is quite the look.

There you go again eh.... I am prejudiced here? More total dishonesty. 

Which is why I just said I dont want to interact with you my man. If I can live with that then I am sure you can too. Plenty more internet usernames for you to do your wee dance with.

Guest Moomintroll

Can see both sides to the argument here to be fair, I am heavily in favour of promoting LGBT rights but if this Head Teacher is behaving in that manner then it's not very sensible.

16 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

It is public on the internet and you are going around sending it to strangers.

Getting yourself into hysterics because the wrong people might find out that there are places called schools and children go there.

What was deleted here?

26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Which is why I just said I dont want to interact with you my man. If I can live with that then I am sure you can too. Plenty more internet usernames for you to do your wee dance with.

Story - man in drag reads story to children at a school

You - there is not enough information to know if this was a sexually explicit performance, yet there is simultaneously enough information for me to jump to assumptions about the lifestyle of this individual and others who wear drag

26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You - there is not enough information to know if this was a sexually explicit performance, yet there is simultaneously enough information for me to jump to assumptions about the lifestyle of this individual and others who wear drag

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

He was talking about a drag act as opposed to a pantomine dame, not the lifestyle of FlowJob. But you knew that.......cue my red dot!

Apparently parents of the kids involved were concerned that photographs of the event, featuring the children were posted on a social media account featuring sexual content. This was done without parental consent.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Well that's even more of a sweeping generalisation about an entire segment of society 

A segment of society? Performing drag queens put on an act. Are you mixing up cross dressing and drag acts perchance?

Edited by jimbaxters

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

A segment of society? Performing drag queens put on an act. Are you mixing up cross dressing and drag acts perchance?

Ok. And what does that say about their lifestyles, since that's where assumptions were made by Bairnardo?

If you wanted to make kids aware of the practice of cross-dressing, and the impulse that drives it, you probably wouldn't do it through the medium of a drag queen or a pantomime dame. Both are entertaining parodies of the female character but neither reflects the compulsion to dress as a member of the opposite sex and, as such, the children are being diverted from an understanding of the reality of these people's lives. In that case, a genuine cross-dresser such as Eddie Izzard is a much better representation of the issue. After all, if the children were engaged and interested they could see, hear and, perhaps question the story-teller. Instead, you are simply providing a professional lampoon of women and that doesn't seem very progressive to  me.

Just now, Thane of Cawdor said:

If you wanted to make kids aware of the practice of cross-dressing, and the impulse that drives it, you probably wouldn't do it through the medium of a drag queen or a pantomime dame. Both are entertaining parodies of the female character but neither reflects the compulsion to dress as a member of the opposite sex and, as such, the children are being diverted from an understanding of the reality of these people's lives. In that case, a genuine cross-dresser such as Eddie Izzard is a much better representation of the issue. After all, if the children were engaged and interested they could see, hear and, perhaps question the story-teller. Instead, you are simply providing a professional lampoon of women and that doesn't seem very progressive to  me.

I think Eddie was double booked that day. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Ok. And what does that say about their lifestyles, since that's where assumptions were made by Bairnardo?

Wow.

My impression of what was said is that a drag act more often than not has an overtly sexual element to it, panto dames don't. Ergo, there's a difference.

No comment was made on lifestyles.

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

Wow.

My impression of what was said is that a drag act more often than not has an overtly sexual element to it, panto dames don't. Ergo, there's a difference.

No comment was made on lifestyles.

From page 2 of this thread

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

What springs to my mind when someone says drag Queen is an adult themed entertainment act. Of course then certain other assumptions come to mind about that persons lifestyle etc