Drag Queen Storytelling In Primary School

Blaze

The response from Mhairi Black is an interesting one.

From the stories about this, not always in the most reliable publications to be fair, the concerns raised by the parents seem reasonable and balanced. Most of them said that they were happy for the children to be taught about different people and lifestyles but that maybe a performer like this wasn’t the best choice. And their representative has said that they are homophobic, also rolling this description to gay people who don’t agree with her. I know people who are huge SNP supporters in her constituency who are annoyed with her about this response.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

The response from Mhairi Black is an interesting one.

From the stories about this, not always in the most reliable publications to be fair, the concerns raised by the parents seem reasonable and balanced. Most of them said that they were happy for the children to be taught about different people and lifestyles but that maybe a performer like this wasn’t the best choice. And their representative has said that they are homophobic, also rolling this description to gay people who don’t agree with her. I know people who are huge SNP supporters in her constituency who are annoyed with her about this response.

Thought it wasn't a great response from Black either. Another reason why politicians shouldn't "do" twitter, imho.

How/why is it different?
How is pantomime different from a drag act named flow job, as it pertains to school kids?

Righto. Clearly your usual pishy wee problems with me is going to result in you trying to paint me as having a problem with this. Just go ahead and misquote me like usual and save us all the time.

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

How is pantomime different from a drag act named flow job, as it pertains to school kids?

Righto. Clearly your usual pishy wee problems with me is going to result in you trying to paint me as having a problem with this. Just go ahead and misquote me like usual and save us all the time.

You haven't answered the question I asked. No need to have a tantrum.

You can even answer your own wee invented question if you'd prefer.

26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't have a problem with you. Why is it different?

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I don't have a problem with you. Why is it different?

Well it does go back to my previous point which set my stance out fairly clearly. Theres not enough info. My experience of yer drag Queen is that it is often highly sexualised. As a parent I am wary of anyone going near my kids regardless of gender of sexuality with that type of content unless I know what is included. 

I dont tho, so I am wary here, but my experience of drag queens is that their acts are fine for me  but not for my kids until they are older.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Well it does go back to my previous point which set my stance out fairly clearly. Theres not enough info. My experience of yer drag Queen is that it is often highly sexualised. As a parent I am wary of anyone going near my kids regardless of gender of sexuality with that type of content unless I know what is included. 

I dont tho, so I am wary here, but my experience of drag queens is that their acts are fine for me  but not for my kids until they are older.

I think parents forget what they were like as weans. I remember a whole group of us in primary school crowded round a magazine of highly sexualised content, a hell of a lot more explicit than anything this drag queen would be doing.

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If this was simply someone who does drag reading some kids a kids story then fine. Like I said, not enough info 

I'd think it would be a safe enough assumption that the person was in situ to read a book, not do the stage act.

Edited by Tynierose

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

They read a book to a class of children. There's not much mystery about it. They were introduced to the class as "Flow".

10 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I'd think it would be a safe enough assumption that the person was in situ to read a book, not do the stage act.

All good. I also assumed though that the debate on the thread would go wider than this one case. No one is going to convince me here or elsewhere that pantomime and drag queens are one and the same. Its disrespectful to say so IMO. They are different things for different markets with men dressing up in women's clothing as the common factor it seems. 

Anyway, theres a reason why I dont get into it with Marshy. If you read Falkirk threads you will know. You and everyone else already know what he is like outwith Falkirk threads. For the benefit of this one, il crack on with ignoring him and discussing with those who have actual points to make.