Drag Queen Storytelling In Primary School

Blaze

Just now, sureiknow said:

In your post.

Let's keep them that way as long as they are kids.

By refusing to discuss with them perfectly normal things that occur in the world they inhabit?

Some men like to wear women's clothing. It really isn't any more sinister than children themselves dressing up from the dressing box. Nobody is suggesting we give lengthy, rambling discourses on the sexual peccadilloes and quirks of every single person on the planet, so I'm really not sure what it is the parents think the children require shielding from. Children aren't interested and wont ask, so there's no need for repressed, intolerant, or uncomfortable adults to get their knickers in a twist about it to begin with.

6 hours ago, Blaze said:

Before anybody starts, I have no issue with children being made aware of the LGBTQ+ community and the problems faced but I think the school have fucked up big time here and I know there are numerous parents with children in the school who arent happy with the way the school deals with this.

What is it exactly that you think is the problem here? I mean exactly.

Doesn't appear to be much communication with parents either.

The primary school one of my kids used to go to was putting on a Valentines thing about couples and basing it on some reality TV show. A few of us didn't like the sound of it but we were reassured by the headteacher at parent council that it would be about different types of love, not just romantic, and as an example that one of the couples featured would be Ant & Dec. Fair enough.

In the end there were no all-female couples (Williams sisters anyone?), every person in it was white (em...), most of the couples were romantic and there were no same-sex couples.

Many parent wouldn't have thought twice about that, but it's wrong. It's NOT what the world is. It's NOT reflecting the experiences of the kids. It's NOT neutral, it's effectively saying that white heterosexual couples are the default and by not including other types of relationship, those are dodgy or lesser.

In fairness they freely admitted later that they knew they had got it wrong while they were watching it happen. But my question is this - would they have got it wrong if they'd been shown more than a straight, white, male-led view of the world when they were children? We grow up thinking the things we see are normal, and that other things are not normal. For kids who are themselves different - and if they have a different orientation, they're going to realise it very soon if they haven't already - that feeling of being abnormal is devastating for their mental health.

So see the parents that think they should have been told about this before? They only wanted to be told so they could keep wee Kyle home and away from that pure deviant, byraway. They do think there's something wrong with it. f**k 'em. And f**k anyone who dismisses this stuff as "woke". 

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

By refusing to discuss with them perfectly normal things that occur in the world they inhabit?

Some men like to wear women's clothing. It really isn't any more sinister than children themselves dressing up from the dressing box. Nobody is suggesting we give lengthy, rambling discourses on the sexual peccadilloes and quirks of every single person on the planet, so I'm really not sure what it is the parents think the children require shielding from. Children aren't interested and wont ask, so there's no need for repressed, intolerant, or uncomfortable adults to get their knickers in a twist about it to begin with.

Sorry, bud.  We've not exchanged posts before but "Children aren't interested and wont ask" is about the most stupid statement imaginable.  I can only think that you don't have any kids.  If you do then either you don't talk to them or they have to be the least inquisitive kids on the planet.

Of course weans are interested and from a fairly young age.  Our role as parents is to make them be comfortable with their own sexuality and to make sure they don't judge others.  This usually works well - but not always.  

What you are almost right about is that the ones chucking the toys out of the pram wrt the drag queen are the parents.  My take?  The weans would have enjoyed it.

Stuff like this is always much broader than the sensationalist part that gets headlines.

There's stuff we don't know that is relevant. For example, how are LGBT issues approached more broadly in the school? Is this just a drag queen being dropped into the classroom with no background, no set-up, no prep for the kids on what's going on, or was this a follow-up to some work on different lifestyles in society?

We know it was part of an LGBT History Month event, but we don't really know what that entailed.

That's a huge question here. If the kids have been doing work on different lifestyles then have a guest who represents one of those lifestyles doing something as everyday as reading them a story, then it may well be an excellent piece of educational planning and work that the kids will get a lot from.

If this is just a drag queen dropped in for the sake of it, then firstly it'll probably do little but make unprepared kids snigger and focus on the otherness of what they are seeing, but secondly they'll likely get little from it as they'll have no context to hang it on.

Like I said, we don't know what else this event included, but, as someone who has been involved in planning dozens of events for primary-aged kids, if I'd been involved in it, I'd probably have taken the route of focussing on the more prosaic side of the LGBT community to lessen the sense of weirdness around the topic. There are LGBT people in all parts of society who would make great role models for the kids. I'd be wary of presenting a drag queen as a representative of your everyday LGBT lifestyle to kids of that age.

Well intentioned, no doubt, but badly judged.

Edited by JTS98

12 hours ago, Blaze said:

A Paisley primary school, along with MSP Mhari Black, thought it would be a good idea to invite a Drag Queen into the school to read children stories. With a stage name of Flowjobqueen, how this was allowed to happen is baffling.

The school is very pro LGBTQ+ with children regularly getting bombarded with issues relating to LGBTQ+.

Before anybody starts, I have no issue with children being made aware of the LGBTQ+ community and the problems faced but I think the school have fucked up big time here and I know there are numerous parents with children in the school who arent happy with the way the school deals with this.

Doesn't appear to be much communication with parents either.

Why are your kids on a drag queens Instagram?

Do your kids get "bombarded" with maths, PE, drawing and other stuff or is it just wall to wall "bombarded" with LGBTQ+ issues?

Language is very important and your use of words says a lot.

Edited by Romeo

I dont think a drag queen represents much of, well anything really. What springs to my mind when someone says drag Queen is an adult themed entertainment act. Of course then certain other assumptions come to mind about that persons lifestyle etc but in reality, I agree with the post above that says while the sentiment was likely well intentioned, the execution likely a bit off the mark. Kids are savvy these days
If someone different and interesting comes into their school, they will track that person down and expose themselves to whatever other media endeavours they get involved in. The school have to consider who they are exposing kids to, and not just on the basis of what that person will say and do in the school

But, as JTS also says, we are no doubt missing a lot of relevant info here as it's the media MO these days to offers stories and headlines that create dividing lines.

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont think a drag queen represents much of, well anything really.

It represents a fair chunk of the history of British comedy. Most of those who are raging about this probably think Les Dawson, Little Britain and Mrs Browns Boys are great examples of wholesome television past and present.

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Sorry, bud.  We've not exchanged posts before but "Children aren't interested and wont ask" is about the most stupid statement imaginable.  I can only think that you don't have any kids.  If you do then either you don't talk to them or they have to be the least inquisitive kids on the planet.

Of course weans are interested and from a fairly young age.  Our role as parents is to make them be comfortable with their own sexuality and to make sure they don't judge others.  This usually works well - but not always.  

What you are almost right about is that the ones chucking the toys out of the pram wrt the drag queen are the parents.  My take?  The weans would have enjoyed it.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit.

When I said 'Children aren't interested and wont ask', I'm talking about the specifics of particular sexual kinks, along the lines of those which have apparently caused the consternation in this particular case. Not men wearing dresses, but adults participating in acts with toys on social media which is clearly for the consumption of people 18+.

Children wont enquire about matters they have no knowledge of.

If your child is asking about why a man in a dress is sucking on a dildo, you need to review their internet access and supervision, and possibly call social services to boot.

On that note, if anything, it appears that the LA have perhaps not been as diligent as they should have been in fully ensuring that the person chosen was the 'correct' Drag artist to invite to the school. I don't think you can ignore the prominent LGBTQ+ people saying that this is a fantastic thing that would likely have dramatically altered their own school lives for the better, but at the same time, perhaps the next school thinking about doing something similar might want to have a bit of a more comprehensive rummage around on social media to get a better picture of exactly who they're inviting into the classroom.

It's perfectly possible for someone to fly through CRB etc and still have things in their lives which are not appropriate for someone who works with children. Teachers are adults, lots of them will have 'colourful' private lives, but they don't post it openly on social media, for good reason.

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Perhaps I should have been more explicit.

When I said 'Children aren't interested and wont ask', I'm talking about the specifics of particular sexual kinks, along the lines of those which have apparently caused the consternation in this particular case. Not men wearing dresses, but adults participating in acts with toys on social media which is clearly for the consumption of people 18+.

Children wont enquire about matters they have no knowledge of.

If your child is asking about why a man in a dress is sucking on a dildo, you need to review their internet access and supervision, and possibly call social services to boot.

Then the police will get involved. Gets messy at that point.