Dumbarton vs. Raith Rovers

Forecast isn’t great with rain scheduled everyday... 

Dumbarton fans, how bad was the pitch on Saturday? Thoughts on the chances of this actually going ahead? 

I really hope it is on. Dumbarton (is a short trip for me) and is always a good day out. 

And psychologically I think it’s important we are top going into next Tuesday. It would be a shame if we lost top spot via postponement...

Last time I went to Dumbarton think it was Boxing Day a few years ago (don’t recall exact year), got off the train to be told match was cancelled. Think I’ll give it a miss with the current weather. Good wee bowling club for a pint though.

ETA looking back don’t see a Boxing Day game just one on 22 Dec 2012 so I guess it was that one and my dementia is kicking in.

The state of the pitch will largely depend on how badly it cuts up tomorrow night when we play Clyde. That said, from our groundsmans comments it sounds like the wind was more of a deciding factor in Saturdays call off rather than the rain, so the pitch might hold up well enough.

Normally I always try n go to Dumbarton, it’s not even an hour in the car, and easy to get too. Or I’ll go on the train. But I’ve got other commitments on this weekend so having to give it a miss. Just win. A horrible 1-0, like the start of the season will do the job fine. Dinny f**k it Rovers!

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The state of the pitch will largely depend on how badly it cuts up tomorrow night when we play Clyde. That said, from our groundsmans comments it sounds like the wind was more of a deciding factor in Saturdays call off rather than the rain, so the pitch might hold up well enough.

Ah apologies for my ignorance. I assumed waterlogged pitch! That’s somewhat promising...

28 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Ah apologies for my ignorance. I assumed waterlogged pitch!

44 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

This will be my first match of the month so hopefully it goes ahead. Unfortunately I have a 100% losing record at Dumbarton's 'new' ground.

The postponement notice said “Waterlogged pitch”, so you aren’t assuming things, perhaps BBC was?

With a 100% losing record it’s a tough call...go, and hope to break the hoodoo, or stay away, and go for the win? But if you don’t break it, the question keeps coming up.

This was the pitch on Saturday morning:

20200222_080249.jpeg

Looks to be dealing with the water quite well, so I'm hopeful we'll get this run of 3 home games on as long as the weather doesn't get too much worse. Can't imagine @Dumbarton Rock will be happy that the Forfar game's been arranged for next Tuesday though, 3 games in 7 days will be a tough ask for you big yin :lol:

This was the pitch on Saturday morning:
20200222_080249.thumb.jpeg.988855e1f005df184a891435b459c8de.jpeg
Looks to be dealing with the water quite well, so I'm hopeful we'll get this run of 3 home games on as long as the weather doesn't get too much worse. Can't imagine [mention=59039]Dumbarton Rock[/mention] will be happy that the Forfar game's been arranged for next Tuesday though, 3 games in 7 days will be a tough ask for you big yin [emoji38]
I can't wait [emoji849][emoji45]

11 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

We were dreadful against Dumbarton at Stark's Park so hopefully we can play better and win this one.

That was the game when we had virtually our whole defence missing. We didn't seem to know whether to protect our defence or play our normal attacking game and ended up doing neither. 

That was the game when we had virtually our whole defence missing. We didn't seem to know whether to protect our defence or play our normal attacking game and ended up doing neither. 

More than that, I think I remember it being noted in the FFP that there was 7 or 8 first team players out injured and/or suspended for that game. Just a game too much for the back-up’s that game, we done well in December considering they circumstances.

16 hours ago, WSDR 88 said:

More than that, I think I remember it being noted in the FFP that there was 7 or 8 first team players out injured and/or suspended for that game. Just a game too much for the back-up’s that game, we done well in December considering they circumstances.

Both teams had huge injuries that day, we didn't have a striker on the pitch and started a player who was released a few weeks later. We also had 2 on the bench, one being a keeper.

I'm weirdly looking forward to this and I'm not sure why. I've seen very little of us in recent weeks due to work and weddings, but it's nice to have the likes of Layne back in contention for a place. I'd be interested to see how he works with someone like Jai playing next to him, you'd hope it would improve his effectiveness. 

No doubt my small amount of optimism will be obliterated when the team is announced and Layne, McKee and McGeever are all mysteriously missing from the squad.