Queens vMorton

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Only positive today was MoM Semple he won all his headers, cleared his lines & tried to look for a  pass when he could. Couldn't do anything with any of the goals conceded. 

Was it not him that got sort of robbed and outmuscled for the third?

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:
15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, it was Holt. Not sure why Semple wasn't providing some sort of cover though

Fair enough.   Left back makes more sense, right enough.

Only positive today was MoM Semple he won all his headers, cleared his lines & tried to look for a  pass when he could. Couldn't do anything with any of the goals conceded. His match fitness is coming back & he's looking like the player he was when here last season. He didn't deserve to be on the side that conceded 4 goals... 

lol wut

What sort of so-called centre back ‘couldn’t do anything’ about the abysmal goals that you conceded? You had about six chances to clear the ball from your own box in the build up to the fourth goal alone: a pub league defender could have resolved that situation. That’s not to mention all the other chances that your gang dished up over the ninety minutes, or the failure of your centre backs to dominate against a lone striker without any ability whatsoever that might have stopped us from bossing the match.

Semple absolutely deserved to be on the side that lost four goals then. I wouldn’t even take him ahead of any of our centre backs on that display and our defending has been atrocious all season long. If that’s the shan talisman that you’ve all been waiting on to deliver then you’re best settling in for a prolonged stint in the seaside leagues instead.

Yeah, there’s definite confirmation bias going on with Queens fans and Semple here. He was every bit as hapless as the rest of your defence, but because so many of you have anointed him as the saviour of your season if Johnston would just pick him you can’t bring yourself to admit he was just as shite and maybe isn't going to miraculously cure your season after all.

first half a carbon copy of last weeks first half, playing into the wind and couldn't get over the half way line. Morton completely dominated and Cadden had full back on toast (both Mercer and Lyon). Can anyone tell me who won the toss and whether Morton (and Dundee) decided to play with the wind or was it a case of Queens wanting to shoot into Portland Road end in second half as always

So did we play well or were Queens absolutely shite?

Didn't see that coming today. To score 4 goals away from home and keep a clean sheet is fantastic. Credit to the team and management.

We are absolutely terrible. Your first two goals were nothing to write home about given they were crosses and any side can take a couple off us if they can cross (Queens Park put us out the cup with 2). But Morton pressed really well in the first half and knew we were shite at defending them so continued to bombard us from the wings. They never gave our side any time on the ball at all.

The start of the second half I thought Morton showed why they leak goals. They did look shaky at times and if a competent side had been playing I expect you would have conceded today when we had our wee spell. We are utterly toothless though so it wasn't happening. Petra tried a 6ft high volley when it looked like a header would have ended in the net. Morton seemed to spend most of the 2nd in their own half but I don't know if this was because of the wind or because it was blatantly obvious we were never scoring twice and they were happy to sit in. They then decided to grab another couple.

Morton were better than I expected and I'd be pleased with today's performance but you can't downplay just how truly abysmal that QoS side is.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We are absolutely terrible. Your first two goals were nothing to write home about given they were crosses and any side can take a couple off us if they can cross (Queens Park put us out the cup with 2). But Morton pressed really well in the first half and knew we were shite at defending them so continued to bombard us from the wings. They never gave our side any time on the ball at all.

The start of the second half I thought Morton showed why they leak goals. They did look shaky at times and if a competent side had been playing I expect you would have conceded today when we had our wee spell. We are utterly toothless though so it wasn't happening. Petra tried a 6ft high volley when it looked like a header would have ended in the net. Morton seemed to spend most of the 2nd in their own half but I don't know if this was because of the wind or because it was blatantly obvious we were never scoring twice and they were happy to sit in. They then decided to grab another couple.

Morton were better than I expected and I'd be pleased with today's performance but you can't downplay just how truly abysmal that QoS side is.

Cheers mate. Sounds like a fair summary.

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Your first two goals were nothing to write home about given they were crosses

Thought the first two goals were great wing play by cadden, beat full back inside out and put in dangerous crosses cut back from the bye line

36 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, there’s definite confirmation bias going on with Queens fans and Semple here. He was every bit as hapless as the rest of your defence, but because so many of you have anointed him as the saviour of your season if Johnston would just pick him you can’t bring yourself to admit he was just as shite and maybe isn't going to miraculously cure your season after all.

Yes, spot on.

We've had the same thing regarding Hamilton at the other end of the field.

Thought the first two goals were great wing play by cadden, beat full back inside out and put in dangerous crosses cut back from the bye line
I wasn't trying to downplay the quality of the play, more that scoring via crosses against us really isn't an impressive achievement.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:
2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, it was Holt. Not sure why Semple wasn't providing some sort of cover though

So Holt makes a blatant howler and you still find a way of putting some blame on Semple.

Nice one 👍

An absolutely abysmal day for football with another abysmal performance from Queens. Morton adapted to the conditions far better and thoroughly deserved the win. Once again the only positive was Callum Semple’s continued improvement. Scott Mercer has improved so much since getting torn apart by Lewis Morgan of St Mirren a couple of years ago. Today Nicky Cadden ripped him apart and was easily the best player on the park! His cross balls gave us problems every time.

That’s the last two Saturdays me and me big neeber have travelled a distance and spent roughly £100 between fuel in the car, snacking at the Arena, paying to get in and getting a Bovril to heat us up. I’m struggling to take much more. If only the Queens players could show the same commitment.

Hope AJ does the honourable thing and pack it in tomorrow. It looks to me as if he’s lost the dressing room.

Probably the coldest day I have ever watched a game of football. Well done to the players and officials for getting through it.....

So Holt makes a blatant howler and you still find a way of putting some blame on Semple.
Nice one [emoji106]
I didnt blame him, I questioned where he was. Same as I'd question where he was for the first two goals, both scored from his side of the pitch too.

Neither of those were his fault either but after losing four goals questions have to be asked of the whole defence and keeper.

I didnt blame him, I questioned where he was. Same as I'd question where he was for the first two goals, both scored from his side of the pitch too.

Neither of those were his fault either but after losing four goals questions have to be asked of the whole defence and keeper.

Exactly. Semple is a very decent centre half and merits the place he now has in the team. He nonetheless is a key player in a back 4 that lost 4 goals today. Some of the defensiveness around him on here is cringeworthy.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Taking it from the club's Tweets that the bold Reghan Tumilty has been making a bit of an impression since you took him back?

It’s almost as if punting him out on loan with no replacement was a massive mistake. Still areas to improve defensively but really helping the team going forward.