Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
marello

2019-2020 Relegation Play Off

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Glad to hear it. Best of luck with the rest of the season

Thanks but I think it will take more than a bit of good luck . 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being able to choose or nominate the region you will drop into is a farce. There needs to be a clearly defined border, as is currently the case.

If Brechin have any ambition to return to League 2 then the Highland League is definitely a much more likely route. You only have to look at Berwick as an example of what could happen in the Lowland League. Plus it’s constantly improving with fresh blood slowly pushing the dross down, which is not the case in the HFL either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything should be getting concentrated on its straight relegation for club 42 not this farce being proposed through poor journalism!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Correct.

As far as every Brechin City supporter is concerned  they will be going into the Highland League as it stands.  We are not aware of any imminent changes and it would be foolish,  if not immoral,   to think that any such change would be implemented this season purely to suit Brechin City. 

If there is any lobbying going on , it  wouldn't and shouldn't  be on behalf of one club .  It would  and should be on a majority  basis to suit  a majority of clubs .

 

As an "outsider", I don't understand why Brechin are lobbying so hard to get into the Lowland League. Yes, I know your players are mainly based in the central belt. But you'll need to overhaul how your club is being run anyway after relegation, look at Berwick for example. You'd be in a great position to get a good squad for the highland league by poaching players from the HL who live closer to Brechin then their current clubs, poaching some of the stronger East juniors players from clubs like Lochee, Broughty & Carnoustie (plenty of players there who are definitely good enough for the Highland League) and poaching "drop outs" from Tayside SPFL teams. With the Lowland League only getting stronger, the Highland League will give you a much better chance of going back up.

Good luck in the rest of the season though, I have been to Brechin before and I have genuine sympathy for the club.

Edited by Marten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Marten said:

As an "outsider", I don't understand why Brechin are lobbying so hard to get into the Lowland League. Yes, I know your players are mainly based in the central belt. But you'll need to overhaul how your club is being run anyway after relegation, look at Berwick for example. You'd be in a great position to get a good squad for the highland league by poaching players from the HL who live closer to Brechin then their current clubs, poaching some of the stronger East juniors players from clubs like Lochee, Broughty & Carnoustie (plenty of players there who are definitely good enough for the Highland League) and poaching "drop outs" from Tayside SPFL teams. With the Lowland League only getting stronger, the Highland League will give you a much better chance of going back up.

Good luck in the rest of the season though, I have been to Brechin before and I have genuine sympathy for the clubs.

The poaching system you talk about is the system we used throughout our most successful spell  in the late 70's , 80's  and early 90's .  Not a new concept and one I would be happy to adopt even if we do manage to stay up.  

We are not down yet though  . 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The poaching system you talk about is the system we used throughout our most successful spell  in the late 70's , 80's  and early 90's .  Not a new concept and one I would be happy to adopt even if we do manage to stay up.  

We are not down yet though  . 😕

I know, that's why I wished you good luck for the rest of the season ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2020 at 19:12, Hampden Diehard said:

The Braves, BSC (cue Jerry to launch into one), Civil Service and the two uni teams probably don't represent a community. Are any of the Uni first team players students? Spartans? The LL was thrown together hurriedly but will morph into a decent division in time. Teams, SPFL current members included, will find their level.

I'm unashamedly old fashioned in this. I just feel that I should chip in to the non-league lovefest occasionally. Some of the derogatory comments about established clubs are unfortunate.
 

I see that Spartans, one of the clubs that "don't represent a community" are worth £5.2m to their local economy because of all the community work they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I see that Spartans, one of the clubs that "don't represent a community" are worth £5.2m to their local economy because of all the community work they do.
Happy to stand corrected. Hopefully the community appreciates it and supports them in turn .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:
On 08/03/2020 at 09:37, craigkillie said:
I see that Spartans, one of the clubs that "don't represent a community" are worth £5.2m to their local economy because of all the community work they do.

Happy to stand corrected. Hopefully the community appreciates it and supports them in turn .

Spartans are probably the best community club in Scotland some of the things they do for their area are amazing however their crowds at run of the mill league games arn't all that great although they can attract a decent crowd for Scottish Cup games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally will not be shedding tears for Brechin or indeed any other League 2 club that gets relegated. The pyramid is glorious. No longer can teams languish in the bottom tier with the glass ceiling - they will find their level and allow a new order to emerge from the shadows. It is a truly exciting time for Scottish football.

As for Brechin wanting to go into the Lowland League, they should be told where to go - straight into the teuchtar league. And they should not complain about it. Away days to Speyside, if I was a Brechin fan I’d be relishing relegation tbh 🥃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All assuming we get to the end of the season. There must be question marks over whether we'll get that far given what's happening in Italy and the fact that there have been tentative questions over whether Cheltenham should go ahead this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pyramid is the best thing to happen in Scottish football for years.The bottom half of league 2 was a total non event for years with a couple of clubs able to retain senior league status simply by putting eleven bodies on the park.I feel for the Brechin fans who have had a horrible 3 years and i can,t see them saving themselves.Its been well reported that a number of Brechin players are overweight and that is unacceptable in the pro game.Add in McManus being in his late thirties and Hill in his mid thirties there must be next to no pace or energy in the team.How some of these managers get there jobs if they think this is an acceptable squad is beyond me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2020 at 09:17, Marten said:

poaching some of the stronger East juniors players from clubs like Lochee, Broughty & Carnoustie (plenty of players there who are definitely good enough for the Highland League) and poaching "drop outs" from Tayside SPFL teams. With the Lowland League only getting stronger, the Highland League will give you a much better chance of going back up.

 

Do you think many of these players are willing to spend up to 12 hours a day travelling to and from games in the far north / Fort William etc - possibly midweek matches too.
They would have to be pretty dedicated to do that for a season or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/03/2020 at 15:03, theoriginalhedge said:

Correct.

As far as every Brechin City supporter is concerned  they will be going into the Highland League as it stands.  We are not aware of any imminent changes and it would be foolish,  if not immoral,   to think that any such change would be implemented this season purely to suit Brechin City. 

Agree 100%.

Bit of a minter when we play in this and then the board want us to be considered as being a Lowland club rather than a Highland one:

1920%20home%20top-500x500.jpg 

Eta:  For those not aware, Glencadam is the whisky distillery next door to Glebe Park.   A delicate, non-peated and balanced dram that makes for an ideal and somewhat different gift for any friend or family member.  ;)

Edited by Hedgecutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I personally will not be shedding tears for Brechin or indeed any other League 2 club that gets relegated. The pyramid is glorious. No longer can teams languish in the bottom tier with the glass ceiling - they will find their level and allow a new order to emerge from the shadows. It is a truly exciting time for Scottish football.

As for Brechin wanting to go into the Lowland League, they should be told where to go - straight into the teuchtar league. And they should not complain about it. Away days to Speyside, if I was a Brechin fan I’d be relishing relegation tbh 🥃

You are about 5 pages too late with this . 

All has been explained . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PortyMo said:

Do you think many of these players are willing to spend up to 12 hours a day travelling to and from games in the far north / Fort William etc - possibly midweek matches too.
They would have to be pretty dedicated to do that for a season or two.

Right now Montrose Roselea have established themselves as a decent North Region Super League team. That can extend as far as the Highland League does. The only real outliers being Wick, Brora, and Fort William. 

It's not impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Right now Montrose Roselea have established themselves as a decent North Region Super League team. That can extend as far as the Highland League does. The only real outliers being Wick, Brora, and Fort William. 

It's not impossible.

That's a point folk aren't considering: outliers.

Apart from those three journeys they'll be closer to most clubs in the HL than LL. Players and officials having a greet about having to make three journeys that add a coupla hours onto their travel over the course of the season need to get a grip of themselves. Which player is gonna say "Aye. I'm up travelling to Dingwall and Stranraer and everywhere inbetween in the league but there's no way I'm going to get a bus to Wick once a year"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/03/2020 at 14:10, Gordon EF said:

Ludicrous idea. Either the boundaries are changed or the stay as they are and clubs deal with that. If clubs can pick and choose then what's the point of regionalisation at all. I wouldn't mind a small corridor of uncertainty type thing where clubs a few miles either side of the boundary, like Tayport, can choose but not Brechin.

In a few years time say the LL is filled up with bigger ex-junior clubs, and the teuchters have stopped pumping money into diddy clubs like Brora, a club like Cowdenbeath could just say 'f**k it, let's go into the HL and win it cos it's filled with shite rather than going into the LL and struggling'.

Agreed.  You could apply the same morals to e.g. Sunderland suddenly asking for a jump into the SPFL for an easy route into Europe as an alternative to yet again fighting a mediocre EFL League One out with the likes of Fleetwood & Wycombe.  FWIW, distance/time-wise, an away day to Aberdeen would be more convenient than their existing league trips to Portsmouth, Gillingham & Bristol.

On a tangent, it would be interesting to see what the SPFL would do though if Brechin decided to mothball Glebe Park and instead ground-share with a club based south of the Tay.  If there's nothing stopping a club called BSC Glasgow playing their home games in Alloa, then why couldn't Brechin use e.g. East Fife's wonderful new 3G pitch?  You'd like to think there would be some form of clause to prevent such a sh*tstorm scenario, but with the amount of thought that went into the boundary location, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there wasn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

  If there's nothing stopping a club called BSC Glasgow playing their home games in Alloa, then why couldn't Brechin use e.g. East Fife's wonderful new 3G pitch? 

In yous come boys. We'll even give you first dibs on all released players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...