marello

2019-2020 Relegation Play Off

15 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

There is no good option. If that’s not an option you may be talking about no football for 18 months. What’s a club to do for that length of time. Shut down, release players, if so a lot will not return I fear.

Yes but isn't that a worse option at our level - making yourself less viable in already very difficult circumstances?  I hear folks like Tom English suggesting scrap next year's Betfred Cup when  for some clubs that might represent as much as 10% of their annual income.  And what if a club goes into administration due to this - you can restart the current season say in September and they are deducted 15 points!   

What's the crack with "going into abeyance"?

You see it sometimes with junior clubs who hit hard times financially, or whose committee resigns and can't be replaced in the short term. These clubs take a year out and return when the committee and the biscuit tin has been replenished during the year out.

I'm guessing there's a reason why SPFL clubs can't do this. But I'm struggling to see why if next season is wrecked by this too...which looks odds on I'm afraid..clubs couldn't shut down to keeping the grass cut and minimal obligations paid off following the season's end. Keep the ground maintained, the floodlights working, keep raising funds where possible, but batten down the hatches until the world has beaten this thing.

It's not like the SPFL wants to lose members and I can't see why they couldn't accommodate this. Better that than clubs going down the drain trying to pay bills with no income streams.

On 21/03/2020 at 18:33, Aberdeen Cowden said:

There hasn’t been a decision made because there isn’t anyone competent enough to make it.

”Let’s just wait and see what everyone else does”

Well done to Brora anyway, probably the best team in the HL for the last few seasons.

There hasn't been a decision made anywhere in Europe because it's a) very difficult to decide what is fair and b) nobody knows how long this is going to last.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

There hasn't been a decision made anywhere in Europe because it's a) very difficult to decide what is fair and b) nobody knows how long this is going to last.

The point being that don’t expect any decisions until the rest of Europe have decided first.

17 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Was thinking when they ease the restrictions they might allow closed door games.

Leagues one and two could be exempt due to the low crowds . Self distancing might  be fairly easy . 

Leagues one and two could be exempt due to the low crowds . Self distancing might  be fairly easy . 

No. They won’t be exempt. Also it won’t be fairly easy at all to keep a safe distance at a football game.

Why not. One of the original restrictions was gatherings of 500 or less.

Yes. Original. Not so now.

Why not. One of the original restrictions was gatherings of 500 or less.

To be honest I’m not really concerned about watching or attending sport of any kind at the moment. We are in the middle of a nightmare. I shouldn’t really have posted any kind of reply. I won’t be again.

Yes. Original. Not so now.

You are being unrealistic - there won't be any football in Scotland for a while and 500 crowd/closed door games aren't a solution

You are being unrealistic - there won't be any football in Scotland for a while and 500 crowd/closed door games aren't a solution

I was actually trying to say that. Obviously with minimal success

2 hours ago, onecowden said:

No. They won’t be exempt. Also it won’t be fairly easy at all to keep a safe distance at a football game.

That was meant as tongue firmly in cheek.  

probably the best would be no regelation and the firsts of lowland and highland go up... 

more or less the same in all divisions, with more teams in each division, next year it woud be seen if more relegations teams and come back the same teams than now or stay with more teams

Edited by McGarci

probably the best would be no regelation and the firsts of lowland and highland go up... 
more or less the same in all divisions, with more teams in each division, next year it woud be seen if more relegations teams and come back the same teams than now or stay with more teams

I reckon there will be some radical changes to the set up. I just hope all the clubs can survive. It’s maybe a forlorn hope.

5 hours ago, onecowden said:

I reckon there will be some radical changes to the set up. I just hope all the clubs can survive. It’s maybe a forlorn hope.

The changes are seemingly  ready to be implemented as is a sensible end to the current playing season . As always though these decisions rest on the OF .  ...............Sky wanting 4 OF games and whether or not The Rangers  are prepared to accept Celtic being crowned champions........or that is how it appears . 

The Highland league showed that common sense in these uncertain times can overcome self interest  ( cunningly disguised as  "sporting integrity ")  . 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

There was absolutely no controversy involved in the Highland League decision. Theres no relegation and Brora were obviously going to win it.

That doesn't apply to a single one of the divisions of the SPFL.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

There was absolutely no controversy involved in the Highland League decision. Theres no relegation and Brora were obviously going to win it.

That doesn't apply to a single one of the divisions of the SPFL.

On the basis of the facts you have stated alone, could that be construed as self interest ? 

We are in an extraordinary circumstances just now where a lot of clubs are going to have players out of contract , possibly before a competitive  ball is kicked again.   This will put these clubs at a major disadvatage  to try and complete fixtures with half their existing squad  or possibly less . 

That is where sporting integrity really comes into force and a decision should be taken now to try and safeguard as many clubs as possible for next season.  It would also allow clubs to properly prepare for next season. 

The plan to have 3 leagues of 14 would take care of the relegation issues and give everyone a clear picture of the way forward. 

As I said these are exceptional times and call for exceptional decisions and leadership .  No better time than now to make those decisions for the good of Scottish football and not just the top two. 

12 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The plan to have 3 leagues of 14 would take care of the relegation issues and give everyone a clear picture of the way forward.

Really? Which one of Brora, Kelty or Bonnyrigg gets to replace your shower of shite as club 42 then?